Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

AAM Visit overview

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2007 | 07:52 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner
Premier Member

OK, so seems as if you guys logged some pulls, and detected knock and saw rich A/F's, though Id still like to know how rich.

Also, do you happen to remember how many knock counts you would typically see?

If I were in your shoes, I would not go WOT until I had it re-checked/tuned. Like you said the car is new, dont risk it. Call Dave tomorrow AM, let him know your findings and I am positive he will take a look at it and make any necessary adjustments. Dont know how much experience you have with these things, but tunes do change, especially when weather gets colder like its been here lately. I dont even use the temperature compensation on the UTEC, I just raise base FPR, ghetto but it works WOT. Good luck, and keep us updated!
Old 11-20-2007 | 07:53 PM
Motormouth
Banned

Originally Posted by bb1314
I think you should understand where the OP's statement is coming from. If everyone that had no experience with AAM came in and discredit what he has to say, this thread would get 30k+ useless responses assuming we have over 30k members on this forum. Unless you have something constructive to criticize the thread, ask the OP, or share some past experience(which you haven't done so), your opinions are really doing nothing but bumping up the thread.
sorry, I do not agree. I think it is very important for people to not get carried away in promoting any shop without a solid basis for doing so.

this attitude that I have no right to question the OP is rediculous. I no where said that AAM has NOT made a turn around, but I would like to know who he is to say so. I don't purport to have the knowledge to do this, but he does. why he cannot simply say 'I had a great experience and will continue to use AAM in the future' astounds me, instead he has to make the assertion that everything is different now and it's a complete turn around.

here you want to use some 'understanding'? how about this scenario: a customer posts up that they had a great experience at the 'new' VRT. I doubt you would comeon and try to tell people to stfu when questioning his experience... make sense now? (god I hope so... )

I still cannot see why anyone is arguing with me about this. it was a simple, honest question and yet I get nothing but dancing around the question and attacks.

and why do I have to provide experiences? I still don't understand this reasoning... you people continually stating this is cluttering the thread. I am not going to let that go unanswered sorry. my experiences have nothing to do with ANYTHING. nothing nada. it was a question about HIS experiences to say what he did.

I feel like I am talking to a wall. I know it's getting late, but seriously. whw

Last edited by Motormouth; 11-20-2007 at 07:56 PM.
Old 11-20-2007 | 07:56 PM
Integrity
Banned

I'm curious to know if you noticed the knock before or after the new exhaust was installed.
Old 11-20-2007 | 07:56 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner
Premier Member

I can see motormouth's point, basically, while the OP's 1 experience was good, it is unfair of the OP to say they have turned things around-based off his one simple bolt-on experience. If the OP goes back to AAM and they continue the good work, and maybe if he had some other more "intense" work done he would gain some credibility. Damn you guys are touchy tonight...
Old 11-20-2007 | 07:58 PM
Motormouth
Banned

Originally Posted by Alberto
I can see motormouth's point, basically, while the OP's 1 experience was good, it is unfair of the OP to say they have turned things around-based off his one simple bolt-on experience. If the OP goes back to AAM and they continue the good work, and maybe if he had some other more "intense" work done he would gain some credibility. Damn you guys are touchy tonight...
omg. give this man a hooker and some cocaine he is on fire. (herpes the doctor thinks... lol)

thank you. not discrediting the OP... just want some perspective.
Old 11-20-2007 | 07:58 PM
Pun1sh3RZ

I couldn't give you exact figures on knock and A/F but my A/F was so rich it was literally off the chart. For knock it was ridiculous from 2-3K and 6+. I am too scared to drive car now so going WOT is definitely not happening. I am garaging it for the winter and only taking out to get install done. I am sure Mike could explain the exact figures to you for the information you would like to know if you asked him. And honestly the car knocked when I first got it back purely because of not getting re-flash. Logic is obvious because supercharger has 2-3PSI in low rpm's and that's before the UTEC kicks in. So obviously the ecu is not geared for that and f's up. I am not an expert tuner and that is why I pay the $$$ to get it done right and safe. I will get re-tune and re-flash done when I get my other mods on so I don't have to keep getting a re-tune.
Old 11-20-2007 | 07:59 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Integrity
I'm curious to know if you noticed the knock before or after the new exhaust was installed.
Good Q, while his new exhaust likely leaned him out, knock is more of a timing issue usually-too advanced in this case. If leaning you out .5 (just throwing this out there) makes you kock it was tuned to aggressive IMO! Although going leaner .5-1 point along with these crazy fluctuating temps it could very easily happen.
Old 11-20-2007 | 08:00 PM
dutchboy350Z
Finally some go

Originally Posted by Integrity
+1 ... I might be way off, but I would think this might affect the original tune.
Old 11-20-2007 | 08:00 PM
|)@71|)

Whats goin on Bryce? Its David..bought your nismo exhaust today. Today was the first time ive been to AAM and i didnt have anything major done, but i thought the service was great..to say the least. Thats my $ .02
Old 11-20-2007 | 08:01 PM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Originally Posted by Motormouth
sorry, I do not agree. I think it is very important for people to not get carried away in promoting any shop without a solid basis for doing so.

this attitude that I have no right to question the OP is rediculous. I no where said that AAM has NOT made a turn around, but I would like to know who he is to say so. I don't purport to have the knowledge to do this, but he does. why he cannot simply say 'I had a great experience and will continue to use AAM in the future' astounds me.

I still cannot see why anyone is arguing with me about this. it was a simple, honest question and yet I get nothing but dancing around the question and attacks.

and why do I have to provide experiences? I still don't understand this reasoning... you people continually stating this is cluttering the thread. I am not going to let that go unanswered sorry. my experiences have nothing to do with ANYTHING. nothing nada. it was a question about HIS experiences to say what he did.

I feel like I am talking to a wall. I know it's getting late, but seriously. whw
You kept questioning the OP what gives him the authority to give out his opinion on a shop? Did he ever tell you those are 100% solid fact and if you don't believe you will go to hell?

So if I say Jenna Jameson gives nice ********, do I need the authority to state out that opinion? Please... You don't need 3 blown motors and 20k of investment to create a thread on a good experience with a shop.

Last edited by bb1314; 11-20-2007 at 08:04 PM.
Old 11-20-2007 | 08:02 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner
Premier Member

Originally Posted by Motormouth
omg. give this man a hooker and some cocaine he is on fire. (herpes the doctor thinks... lol)

thank you. not discrediting the OP... just want some perspective.

Originally Posted by Lancers7705
And honestly the car knocked when I first got it back purely because of not getting re-flash. Logic is obvious because supercharger has 2-3PSI in low rpm's and that's before the UTEC kicks in. So obviously the ecu is not geared for that and f's up. I am not an expert tuner and that is why I pay the $$$ to get it done right and safe. I will get re-tune and re-flash done when I get my other mods on so I don't have to keep getting a re-tune.
You dont need a flash when your UTEC can adjust timing much better than your ECU not designed for FI can. I'll be the first to tell you if somebody said otherwise they want $$$$. I never liked how so many AAM customers- ansd to be FAIR other shops sell reflash's to customers when they damn well know the EM can handle it. Only exception to this rule is idle rpm adjustments and rev limiter increases for certain years. Oh, and speed limiter removal
Old 11-20-2007 | 08:03 PM
Motormouth
Banned

I give up. alberto understands and I really hoped the obvious VRT 'scenario' would make you understand but it's pointless.
Old 11-20-2007 | 08:04 PM
Pun1sh3RZ

And i noticed knock prior to new exhaust, between 2-3K RPM it is able to be heard inside the car to give you a perspective. Alberto and Motormouth I posted throughly and gave MY opinion on my visit and the shop in my eyes. And I didn't just post had a great experience and will continue to go there because another member did so with his brake job and got bashed crazy. Motormouth, you are obviously an idiot. YOU have NO credibility coming into the thread as you have had NOTHING AT ALL done there. I am seriously done with your comments. Go comment on shops you have had PERSONAL experience at. Bert has room to talk as he has done business there. And also to Bert I will post when/if I get heavy mod's done. Hopefully a re-flash, re-tune at higher boost with more mods with help support my weight in the matter. And motormouth you will be ignored immediately in my future threads as you are lacking a brain/*****.
Old 11-20-2007 | 08:08 PM
Pun1sh3RZ

But the UTEC kicks in at later RPM'S such as 3K+ and the knock was not so bad until 6K+. And this is all off a quick drive around/dyno. This will be a topic subject to much more debate when the issue is resolved.. however it is. If you could explain why it knocks in low rpm's in hot or cold weather before and after exhaust in 2-3K rpm's that would be greatly appreciated. I know you have much more experience with this, but to another degree... you are turbo'd and supercharger kicks in earlier so this subject is very delicate as the turbo community out-weighs the s/c community tremendously.
Old 11-20-2007 | 08:09 PM
Pun1sh3RZ

Originally Posted by |)@71|)
Whats goin on Bryce? Its David..bought your nismo exhaust today. Today was the first time ive been to AAM and i didnt have anything major done, but i thought the service was great..to say the least. Thats my $ .02
Yeah man, thank you for posting. (He had AAM install exhaust as well btw)
Old 11-20-2007 | 08:12 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner
Premier Member

Without seeing logs, hearing or seeing nothing, I wouldnt really know. Ive never heard of any S/C guys needing flash's under a certain rpm, and thats in over 4 years on these forums from my reading experience...keep us updated, off to bed, damn COD had me hooked again tonight!
Old 11-20-2007 | 08:12 PM
dutchboy350Z
Finally some go

Originally Posted by bb1314
You kept questioning the OP what gives him the authority to give out his opinion on a shop? Did he ever tell you those are 100% solid fact and if you don't believe you will go to hell?

So if I say Jenna Jameson gives nice ********, do I need the authority to state out that opinion? Please... You don't need 3 blown motors and 20k of investment to create a thread on a good experience with a shop.
Giving your honest opinion is one thing. Stating that AAM "has definitely turned things around" might be an overstatement. Especially since this is "minor" work we're talking about here that didn't involve a lot of money.
Old 11-20-2007 | 08:15 PM
Pun1sh3RZ

Originally Posted by dutchboy350Z
Giving your honest opinion is one thing. Stating that AAM "has definitely turned things around" might be an overstatement. Especially since this is "minor" work we're talking about here that didn't involve a lot of money.
I respect what you're saying but once again I explained all this in my thread because I was giving an extensive post on my visit. And my next thread about the remedy (I hope) to my problem will give me more water in my glass to speak with like I said earlier.
Old 11-20-2007 | 08:16 PM
Pun1sh3RZ

Originally Posted by Alberto
Without seeing logs, hearing or seeing nothing, I wouldnt really know. Ive never heard of any S/C guys needing flash's under a certain rpm, and thats in over 4 years on these forums from my reading experience...keep us updated, off to bed, damn COD had me hooked again tonight!
And once again my next thread for the remedy will hopefully clear up my problem and yeah COD is kicking my a$$ for sleep haha
Old 11-20-2007 | 08:17 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner
Premier Member

contact dave man...

Quick Reply: AAM Visit overview