Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

AAM Visit overview

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2007 | 04:57 AM
TENGAI

I'd like to see a data log / dyno chart as well. Just curious how far out the tune was. If it was knocking bad, then timing in the lower range / upper range would be bumped up something nasty. Also, how rich is "off the chart?" Again, a simple dyno with A/F could help explain what's going on. And the data log would show extreme timing conditions if present...
Old 11-21-2007 | 05:01 AM
Pun1sh3RZ

I will do what I can to get you guys this information. Anyways, after I get a few mods I will get re-tune re-flash and really hope to be done with my performance for a while.
Old 11-21-2007 | 05:35 AM
Driven1
Professional

Subscribed for the data.
Old 11-21-2007 | 05:53 AM
Pun1sh3RZ

Originally Posted by Driven1
Subscribed for the data.
Many are lol
Old 11-21-2007 | 06:28 AM
Motormouth
Banned

Originally Posted by Lancers7705
Don't even say you agree, you made this thread extremely long for the simple fact of NOT agreeing to this. All you kept saying was "what authority" do I have to say anything. just jump off the nearest cliff and get it over with thank you
Is there a reason you had to start this up again? Just beacuse you have a failure of logic is not a reason for me to kill myself.

and just for you, I will be sure to go find the tallest cliff in NJ to jump off of. this drop may only be a few feet, but I will be thinking of you.
Old 11-21-2007 | 06:29 AM
Pun1sh3RZ

Originally Posted by Motormouth
Is there a reason you had to start this up again? Just beacuse you have a failure of logic is not a reason for me to kill myself.

and just for you, I will be sure to go find the tallest cliff in NJ to jump off of. this drop may only be a few feet, but I will be thinking of you.
Sorry that was immature of me, our feud is over

Last edited by Pun1sh3RZ; 11-21-2007 at 06:31 AM.
Old 11-21-2007 | 06:30 AM
Motormouth
Banned

thanks! I thought it was as well (although I wouldn't characterize it as a feud)

Old 11-21-2007 | 06:45 AM
Pun1sh3RZ

I have the dyno chart, pm me your e-mail if you want to see it
Old 11-21-2007 | 06:48 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner
Premier Member

Why not post it, you made it public info, hook us up!
Old 11-21-2007 | 06:50 AM
Pun1sh3RZ

lol will be up soon
Old 11-21-2007 | 06:51 AM
Driven1
Professional

Originally Posted by Lancers7705
I have the dyno chart, pm me your e-mail if you want to see it
With the log I hope?
Old 11-21-2007 | 06:53 AM
Pun1sh3RZ

lol don't have that yet but keep your eyes open for dyno
Old 11-21-2007 | 07:01 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner
Premier Member

Dyno pic is wayyyy small, I cant read it that small and when I enlarge it it loses quality. Id have them email you a larger file, this doesnt show anything.

Old 11-21-2007 | 07:19 AM
Pun1sh3RZ

Alright man I need to get this fixed so I will most likely have this remedy thread up sooner than later.
Old 11-21-2007 | 07:29 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner
Premier Member

I find it very hard to believe Dave's tune would go so ape $hit A/F wise...it looks like a base map A/F...
Old 11-21-2007 | 07:41 AM
Driven1
Professional

This just doesn't seem right. I find it extremely hard to believe to be honest. The power is VERY linear despite the A/F's going to $hit in the higher RPM. And I know for a fact this isn't something Dave would ignore or let go. But then again that graph is harder to make out than a white bunny in a snow covered field.
Old 11-21-2007 | 08:16 AM
Pun1sh3RZ

well there is your dyno sheet guys, told you it was running rich beyond belief
Old 11-21-2007 | 08:17 AM
Mike@Altered
Banned

Hey everyone -

Bryce wanted a quote on tuning his UTEC for a larger pulley and/or methanol injection. I told him it would depend on how the UTEC was already setup - if I was going to tune from its current programming or if I was going to need to start from scratch. So we plugged in to see.. It was setup quite differently than how I prefer to setup the UTEC.

We proceeded to make a baseline dyno run, the car ran rich and made approx 350rwhp. AF's ratios are debatable and different tuners have different opinions, but my major concern was the sever knocking between 2,000-3,000rpm (it was audible to everyone in the dyno room) and light knocking above 6,000rpm.

When we initially spoke about the knocking Bryce showed me his upper intercooler pipe where it had rubbed the back of the bolt on one of his supercarger pullies. He thought that was the source of the sound he had been hearing. We took a closer look at the pipe/pulley bolt and they had clearanced themselves, so there was no more contact.

Because I did not want Bryce to simply take my word, I gave him a quick 101 on how the UTEC works and how to monitor knock. We briefly took his car around the block with our test equipment hooked up.

I can understand how he was upset. The audible knock between 2,000 and 3,000rpm brought memories back to Ryan's G35 which was the first revup we experienced with Forced Induction. Back then other companies (including Turbonetics) had consulted us concerning this 2,000-3,000rpm knock.

This is what we came up with (hopefully this will help other shops who are having a similar problem with their customers revup buildups):

The revup motors run more timing than the non-revup motor at low rpms. Especially when a customer has a larger injector (ie. 440cc, 550cc) where the MAF voltage has been "scaled" (thus reduced) the factory ecu dials in too much timing. This knocking wears at the engine and causes many problems.

In addition to setting up the UTEC properly, we do an ECU Flash for our customers to remedy this potential hazard. We modify all three factory ECU timing maps with timing values similar to what a factory turbocharged engine would run. If your engine knocks, the supplimental timing map will be what it needs to be to compensate. And then we scale for the proper size injectors, so that it is not necessary to take a large voltage out of the MAF signal.

In our oppinion, this equals the most reliable setup for our customers.

Just this week I've tuned three revup forced induction cars (every one made over 400rwhp) with absolutely no signs of knock! Unfortunatly the majority of our customers do not have the time to frequent these forums so the only positive feedback they give us is when they continue to stop over for add'l upgrade and oil changes

Last edited by Mike@Altered; 11-21-2007 at 08:31 AM.
Old 11-21-2007 | 08:34 AM
TENGAI

The knock down low I can personally agree to with the RevUp situation... Bad juju for those with similar setups.

With the knock at 6k - sounds like timing was advanced to compensate for the low A/F. BUT, as mentioned how do you miss this? I don't think Dave would have overlooked it, nor simply dumped on too much timing to compensate... I'm interested to see what comes from the other side of the fence. Also - that curve looks fantastic. BUT I'm curious how the curve could look so good with such a craptastic A/F. I know, timing. BUT, a curve can look THAT good with timing tweaks? Still doesn't sound / look right.

Mike - thanks for the explanation.

OP - you didn't mention the fact that you wanted to upgrade the pulley and add meth... With that in mind, it does make sense that Mike would inquire about the current tune.
Old 11-21-2007 | 08:40 AM
Mukrat
Race Naked FTW!
Premier Member

So much anger lately. The Mid-A really needs to slow down and take a breather. Theres really no need to question every AAM review or experience post. And definetly no need for pitting ANY shops against each other. Every shop has there good points and bad points.

A shops reputation take lots of positive feedback, from many customers, years to build up. But only 3 or 4 negative feedbacks and seconds to destroy. To rebuild a reputation can be even harder to do then building it up from scratch.

I bet the reason there are soo many posts about AAM is because people in general really want to go there. AAM is close to alot of the Mid-A'ers. Everyone knows Frank is a Z/G pro. And those of us that have been there in the past with good experiences want to see more good experiences, without having to travel 2 1/2 hours to get it.

Mid-A needs a secret shopper. Who wants to give me money for mods to play secret shopper at all the reputable Mid-A shops?

Quick Reply: AAM Visit overview