Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

My Car Was Stripped IN MY DRIVEWAY Last Night!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009 | 09:36 AM
Ghayes23

Sorry to see that. Based on what was taken (and more what was not taken) it almost looks like they were filling a parts order. GL with the insurance.
Old 01-05-2009 | 09:47 AM
coolblue830

Well look at the bright side... excuse to start modding and time to go shopping for some aftermarket parts with that insurance check.
Old 01-05-2009 | 09:53 AM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Funny how they didn't take the shift ****. That's like the easiest thing to get off.
Old 01-05-2009 | 09:57 AM
abui01

They could have used one of those *code stealing* devices where the culprit hides nearby your car and waits for you unlock it. They then come back later that night using their device to unlock your car w/o setting off an alarm.
Old 01-05-2009 | 09:58 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Originally Posted by phiooz
sorry to hear..

have you recently gotten it serviced anywhere? maybe they made a copy of your key or something. they also have your address on file too.
yeah thats why you are NEVER EVER EVER supposed to give your address out to anyone that services your car! i never do...i always give them a fake address or tell them "No i dont wanna put one on file"

sheit, i dont even give my address out at Radio Shack....

-J

Last edited by JasonZ-YA; 01-05-2009 at 10:01 AM.
Old 01-05-2009 | 10:03 AM
djParis
Retired Racer

I'm pretty sure the stock alarm will go off if you try to pop the hood with the doors still locked, likewise if you try to unlock the doors from the inside after the alarm is armed. Was the hood latch cut?
Old 01-05-2009 | 10:04 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner
Premier Member

Wow-that is a sick job. Unbelievable they did all that, they had to be working on the car for 2 hours easy. Crazy nobody saw/heard anything, kind of hard to believe....
Old 01-05-2009 | 10:05 AM
kacz07

eh, that's weird.
Old 01-05-2009 | 10:31 AM
jetspank

Thanks for your kind words & concern, guys.

Montgomery County's finest agree that it's a total pro job. I filed a police report, they dusted for prints (found only some glove prints and a bunch of mine on there), and took a bunch of pics.

My alarm system was stock. It looks like the thieves cut the horn, got the hood up, then disconnected the battery. There's also a mark in the driver's side window tint where they jimmied the door. However, it was all done super-clean, the work of obvious pros. They even removed my front license plate and set it in the grass next to the car!

The bumper and hood were stock, though I did have a lip on the bumper. These guys were interested in specific parts, almost certainly for somebody's wrecked Z. And I have to say, it did cross my mind that maybe this stuff was stolen for the "phantom" Z that was allegedly involved in that crash on Rockville Pike. I know that's dumb, but I did think about it, since my car is black and an '05.

My bedroom is the farthest away from the driveway, and my dog (I already told her she was FIRED!), was curled up in there with me all night, with a fan blowing, which makes it harder to hear. My son was in the basement, which has a window two feet from where my car was, until 3 AM, but he was playing video games, and when he's doing that he's oblivious. My neighbor was actually on his porch smoking a cigarette at 5 AM, and he didn't notice anything, but he couldn't see the front of the car from there. He did say that my paper had already been delivered by then, so maybe the paper carrier saw something. I'm gonna check that out. I was up at 6 myself and heard nothing, but I'm sure they were long gone by then.

Anyway, the report's been filed, insurance contacted, and they're towing it to Herb Gordon in a few minutes. I have all receipts for my mods (and truthfully there weren't many, just the lip, a Popcharger, a duct for the Popcharger, my aftermarket stereo, iPod adapter and iPod, and the shift **** they snapped), so I'm hoping USAA is gonna play nice.

Who knows? Maybe I'll start some upgrades in the wake of this. It's about time again . . .
Old 01-05-2009 | 10:49 AM
ajcool2

Dayum.
Old 01-05-2009 | 10:53 AM
Eric the Ricer
Banned

Originally Posted by ajcool2
Dayum.
You drive a Black Z, where were you last night mister?!?!??
Old 01-05-2009 | 11:01 AM
bb1314
da Terminator!

We might see some 2-toned riced out 350z in the Rockville area soon.
Old 01-05-2009 | 11:07 AM
ZRuggernDC

Viper Alarm FTW. Thats why I park my Z in the my garage and leave the Armada outside to brave the elements.

Be careful who you take the car to to get an aftermarket alarm put in. Tons of loser shops make spare keys of customer cars.

Dude, Thats a seriously detailed job in the middle of the night and not a soul saw or heard anything. I wonder if those whoever took it would be willing to dot he same to Tweeter on Leesburg Pike to get my Z stuff outta there... j/k by the way.

Worst things in life: 1. Thief 2. Liar
Old 01-05-2009 | 11:12 AM
1sexyleo

Originally Posted by Eric the Ricer
LMAO!!!!! He was occupied wit me last nite....lol!

j/k

sorry bout ur car. i was violated once...but not that bad.
Old 01-05-2009 | 11:26 AM
4SHIZZIL

Originally Posted by djParis
I'm surprised they didn't take the wheels as well.
he legit, he can buy a Z with the spare change in couch.

this is absolutely crazy!

WTF is the world coming too.

now you have to have locks on your hood too! WTF OVER!

this is out of control.

Motion sensor activated AK 47s FTW!

very sorrry to see this, I know the feeling. I had have my car stolen to include rims that were never driven on...sad thing is they used all my tools to remove the shizzil.

this pisses me off. I will be on the look out.

I bet you can go to Randolph Road in Silver Spring and find most of your parts.
Old 01-05-2009 | 11:31 AM
4SHIZZIL

Originally Posted by 1sexyleo
i was violated once...but not that bad.
ohh I want to say something... but my respect for the ladies has trumped my originial idea. LOL

now if this were a friday night after i had a few beers... this comment would of been taken way out of context.
lol

sorry again OP....this sucks.

there are two known theif groups that live off Randolph Road. let me know if you care to know exactly where in a PM.

what is wrong with people?
Old 01-05-2009 | 11:44 AM
ajcool2

Originally Posted by Eric the Ricer
LOL I wish I had the skill to do somehting like that. I'd open me up a shop or something.
Old 01-05-2009 | 11:46 AM
Motormouth
Banned

Originally Posted by bb1314
Funny how they didn't take the shift ****. That's like the easiest thing to get off.
you need to take off teh shift **** to take off the center console section they did.

so they actually took it off, and put it back on. lol. I mean, I thought it was damn ugly... I wouldn't have stolen it either.
Old 01-05-2009 | 11:51 AM
MMC Racing

I spent 1 night in New Jersey in my life and got my truck broken into in the parking lot of a Sheraton - right under a parking lot light. Cop told me that a car a week gets hit at that hotel - yet the hotel doesn't take any additional measures to protect the vehicles (or even install cameras to try to catch the thugs).. Made me sick - I feel for the OP.
Old 01-05-2009 | 11:51 AM
Motormouth
Banned

Originally Posted by Alberto
Wow-that is a sick job. Unbelievable they did all that, they had to be working on the car for 2 hours easy. Crazy nobody saw/heard anything, kind of hard to believe....
come on man, I can take the front bumper off in maybe 5 minutes at this point. you only need like 10mm sockets and an extension for the three under the light (there might be one 12mm in the light) and the clip popping tool for the 6 or 7 pop clips on the top of the bumper. lights are even quicker, 4 bolts, presto. and the center console mostly pops out, and they cut the harnesses. About 1/2 an hour of labor for disassembly if they are really good though I don't know how long it took them to get the car unlocked...

it's like stealing hubcaps.

Quick Reply: My Car Was Stripped IN MY DRIVEWAY Last Night!