Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

new front bumper cracking

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 09:14 PM
mondi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new front bumper cracking

just wanted to get some feedback from people and see what I should do and say.

I bought the ing +1 front bumper from shinny! I <3 shin, no homo

i got it painted Super Black, and it was PPW before. Shinny bought this bumper from someone i believe and he got it painted twice in the duration he had it, he got ran off the road and it got banged up here and there, but no cracks or anything, just paint scratches on the bottom and stuff. It's poly urethane. So i got it repainted when he sold it to me

The paint looked beautiful, although there were some minor minor dirts and seems like they missed some paint back wheel well. It wasn't anything for me to complain about(for me at least), kind of small and unseeable

But anyways, it's been starting to crack. I don't have the bottom cover which connects the bottom of the bumper to wherever else it connects. Therefore it wiggles a lot, but i don't think that's the case it has been cracking. Shinny didn't have it either, and he drives like a maniac and never did the bumper crack! To me, from the slow spread of the cracking from certain spots, it seems to be when i park the car outside and it's in the 80+ degree sun heat. I've driven fast here and there, wash the car, carefully clean the bumper so i don't get swirl marks. go home, go to sleep, wake up the next morning at 3pm, and i go outside. I notice the cracks get longer.

Anyways, like i said, I don't believe it's me the reason it's cracking, because when i wiggle my bumper and bend it, the parts where it has been cracking seem to areas they wouldn't crack if i was driving even 200mph! super stiff parts.

I got this done at PaintMasters in Gaithersburg, where shinny got it painted twice, plus his bumper never cracked, even when he got in the accident.

thx for reading, what should i do or say.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:16 PM
bb1314
da Terminator!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty simple.. just take it back and say it started cracking? You shouldn't have to make up a reason or excuse. They're stand up people and will stand by their work.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:17 PM
Russ@Z1

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Have the layers paint completely stripped off and paint it again. That should solve your issue.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:23 PM
mondi

yea, that's what i thought.

I just don't want them to pull some excuse on me with me unready to answer, maybe like "well the problem is the bumper bends more than the paints bla bla"

I only ask because although I'm 21, but i look like I'm 16, from personal experience from other stuff, people try and think they can play me a fool. Like Geico, and Sears.

But thanks, I will do
Old 05-24-2009, 09:24 PM
abui01

It's because they didn't strip the bumper of the old paint fully when they painted it - aka LAZY. Tell them to do it right the first time: STRIP THE PAINT... THEN paint it. Sometimes u gotta teach 1st grade to get stuff done right. Everyone loves short cuts.
Old 05-25-2009, 06:26 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by abui01
It's because they didn't strip the bumper of the old paint fully when they painted it - aka LAZY. Tell them to do it right the first time: STRIP THE PAINT... THEN paint it. Sometimes u gotta teach 1st grade to get stuff done right. Everyone loves short cuts.
Have the layers paint completely stripped off and paint it again. That should solve your issue.
+1 - exactly right. It needs to be stripped completely and then prepped correctly. Also, make ure they are using enough flex additive in the paint. Like Ethan said, if they stand by their work, repainting it should not be an issue at all.
Old 05-25-2009, 06:37 AM
Jay'Z
Banned

Old 05-25-2009, 06:42 AM
.steeeeZ33.
@ J&D auto

i used the undersheild. if u dont have the undersheild theres so much movement.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:55 AM
ajcool2

The car looks good Armondo. I didnt even recognize it when I parked next to you at the FT meet.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:35 AM
abui01

If you want a hookup on a clear shield to protect that paint (which i HIGHLY recommend on all Zs... if not ALL cars) let me know.