Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

So I installed LED turn signals...

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 11:49 AM
GalvatronType_R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So I installed LED turn signals...

Last weekend, I took the time to finally install LEDs for the front and rear turn signals as well as the front parking light and the rear backup lights. They emit a superwhite beam with no blue whatsoever (at least to my eyes).

My question is am I legal in VA? I know that amber and red are allowed colors for signals and I'm fairly certain white is also but I want to be sure. If not, I will most likely take the turn signals out and leave the rest in.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:03 PM
Driven1
Professional

Technically no....you're not legal. Amber and red only for turn markers. I haven't heard of anyone getting messed with for just that though in a LONG time. I'd leave them if they look good...but that may just be me and not really caring about small tix like that.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:21 PM
GalvatronType_R

Originally Posted by Driven1
Technically no....you're not legal. Amber and red only for turn markers. I haven't heard of anyone getting messed with for just that though in a LONG time. I'd leave them if they look good...but that may just be me and not really caring about small tix like that.
Thanks for the reply. My other concern is passing inspection in VA. If they're illegal, technically speaking, I shouldn't pass but on the other hand, the guy I go to has let other things go in the past so we'll see how he is about the LEDs.

Thanks again.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:26 PM
Driven1
Professional

I wouldn't worry about inspection. They just care if the signal works honestly.

Could they say something...yeah. Will they? 99% of the time they will never even notice nor do they care. IF they say anything typically they typically want something they can make a quick buck off of. They dont want to just fail you to fail you.
Old 07-20-2009, 12:51 PM
bigslim350Z

Originally Posted by GalvatronType_R
Last weekend, I took the time to finally install LEDs for the front and rear turn signals as well as the front parking light and the rear backup lights. They emit a superwhite beam with no blue whatsoever (at least to my eyes).

My question is am I legal in VA? I know that amber and red are allowed colors for signals and I'm fairly certain white is also but I want to be sure. If not, I will most likely take the turn signals out and leave the rest in.
Nothing is legal in VA. Ask Abui01 how many tickets he has received for smoked tail lights.
Old 07-20-2009, 02:37 PM
bigcloud

VA is the least mod friendly state next to Cali!!!! VA politics FTMFL...
Old 07-26-2009, 09:26 PM
GalvatronType_R

QUICK UPDATE:

-got pulled over on Lee Jackson Memorial Hwy near Fair Oaks Mall just for the turn signals (it is a 50 limit and I was not speeding, I promise)

-lady cop asks me if I knew that my signals were illegal; she also said she "knew" that I was speeding because she had to do 70+ to catch up to me forgetting the simple fact of physics that if you are farther away from someone, naturally you have to do higher speed in order to catch up

-at this point, I thought about asking her "so you did 20 over the limit, which is reckless driving, in order to pull me over for my highly lethal turn signals which were about to kill someone?" but I thought better of it

-she then asks if the body kit or the exhaust came with the car because they may be "illegal" to which I replied that the car came that way from the factory (I have a stock Nismo)

-she came back with an illegal equipment ticket and said that I'm lucky that she wouldn't measure my ride height because that's probably illegal too (I'm at the stock height with stock springs and shocks); again, I tried to explain that the car came that way but then she yelled that it was my responsibility to know what is legal and illegal and just because it came from the factory that way doesn't make it automatically legal

At least this wasn't as bad at the time I got cuffed by that other donut eater because he was mad that some other black Z got away from him.

Last edited by GalvatronType_R; 07-26-2009 at 09:27 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:12 AM
JMS71585

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have any pics of the led's signals? Sorry to hear about the ticket. Sounded like the cop was being ***...

You could always switch to a red led for the rear. it will match the rear lights nicely, if yours aren't smoked...
Old 07-27-2009, 06:32 AM
GalvatronType_R

Originally Posted by JMS71585
You have any pics of the led's signals? Sorry to hear about the ticket. Sounded like the cop was being ***...

You could always switch to a red led for the rear. it will match the rear lights nicely, if yours aren't smoked...
I'll see if I can post pics but they will be hard to see behind the plastic covers (they're not smoked). One bit of warning, if you do LED signals, you have to also install load resistors because of the LEDs low current draw. Below is the site I ordered everything from, their prices are reasonable and shipping was pretty quick.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/1157.htm
Old 07-27-2009, 06:55 AM
SOLO-350Z
'12 TL SH-AWD

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can only have Amber turn signals up front, but red/amber in the rear. White is illegal.