Notices
Mid-Atlantic Maryland, Virginia, West Virginia, Washington D.C.

Phuc nova police

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 05:00 PM
Z33@SIM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Phuc nova police

So I was driving home from Northern VA tonight. Speed limit is 65, I was going 64 because I saw a trooper sitting on the side of the road with his radar gun. Passed him then I notice he pulled out after me. I was like WTF? I wasn't even speeding. Of course he pulls me over and gave me 3 fraking tickets!

1) Illegal Tint. First I bought the car from Carmax with the tint on it already. The window also shows 35% sticker from Charlottesville, VA. The legal amount is apparently 50%. The thing is the car has been inspected twice since me owning it. I call ******** me thinks. How the hell am I supposed to know tint was illegal.

2) Driving with no vehicle registration. Another ********. Initially I could not find the card but as he was walking away I was yelling and waving at him that I found my card. As he was giving the tickets I told him that I found it. He was like I already wrote it out. Whatever.

3) Driving with expired driver license. Well this one is my fault but in my defense its a whole another legal matter aside from DMV that my lawyer is working to deal with. I didn't expect the trooper to give a damn so I just except it.

My beef was the fact that I don't feel like he had probable cause to pull me over in the first place. I was traveling down 95 at 64mph at dusk (6pm). I don't think he can even see my tint with hundreds of car all around me. It was total BS. My driving record is clean as I have never had a moving violation since 1997. Just as added bonus, for some reason he wrote in the ticket that I got pulled at 4:45 but it was more like 5:45 as I didn't get to leave the spot until 7pm. I guess it time for me to lawyer up! There goes my tax return. I'm so pissed... Stafford can eat it!
Old 03-07-2010, 05:47 PM
SS728

Did he tell you why he pulled you over?

1, 2, and 3 are all your fault. 50% tint is the legal limit in all states (I think). No registration and expired license will always land you a ticket.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:49 PM
jasabeast

its 35% in MD
Old 03-07-2010, 05:50 PM
OCMan

r u asian?
Old 03-07-2010, 05:51 PM
Lv2DC_Z
SpecOneSociety

Exactly ^ You should of known the tint was illegal. Easy Google search would of pulled that up. I was running with 20% but I knew the consequences.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:31 PM
Z33@SIM

yes I am Asian but it is not like it matter in this case. Dude was obviously profiling my car like a ****. As far as the tint goes, I live in NC before moving up here and I'm pretty damn sure its 35% down there. With me buying a car from Carmax in VA with them having done a state inspection on the vehicle already I ASSume it was 35% here too. Not much of a defense there and that is what I get for assuming chit. The registration thing, he could have thrown it out right there. He said he could do something for me in court but sorry I don't trust him. I did have a passenger in the car so I will get a written statement. With the driver license thing, that is totally my fault no doubt. I'm just irritated for getting pulled in the first place for such bogus petty reason. People flying around speeding on I95 but some how picked a Z to pull over for tint in crowd of car. Weaksauce
Old 03-07-2010, 06:37 PM
Z33@SIM

I'm too old and not the type to go around regularly yelling f* the police. This is more of a rant because of annoyance then anything else. So a cheap non-conspicuous car is in order as soon as I get this mess clear up.

Cop must have known that I just got my tax return...

Last edited by Z33@SIM; 03-07-2010 at 06:38 PM.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:20 PM
CH³NO²
Banned

Driving with an expired license: You asked for it.

Illegal Tint: Ignorance of the law is no excuse. And they can pull you over if they suspect the tint is over the limit which will sink your probable cause argument.

I got pulled for tint in my vette and I tried the same lame excuses you did and I knew all along it was illegal. The cop's exact words were......"Your windows looked a little dark to me"...... Window tint (sides and rear) is not an inspection item which is why it passes. The only reference to window tint in the VA inspection manual is pertaining to the windshield.

You will not win this fight.

This is what 20% looks like:

Last edited by CH³NO²; 03-07-2010 at 07:53 PM.
Old 03-07-2010, 07:24 PM
TreeFiddyZee
Do WHAAAAT!?

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SS728
Did he tell you why he pulled you over?

1, 2, and 3 are all your fault. 50% tint is the legal limit in all states (I think). No registration and expired license will always land you a ticket.
Not even close to being true. All states are different.

http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/

Virginia- Front side windows 50%. Rear window 35%

I live in Indiana-Front sides 30%. Rear-30%.
I work in KY-Front 35%. Rear-18%

Your state MD - Front-35% Rear-35%
Old 03-07-2010, 07:46 PM
Z33@SIM

I am not really trying to beat these tickets (besides the registration one) to tell you the truth. Yes I know about my license and I took the risk and got caught. Oh well not a big deal. Tint thing, once again I'll pay the fine its not a big deal. The tint has been on there for two and a half years and I have never gotten hassled for it. So there was no reason for me to go searching around whether it was legal or not. I ASSUME it was 35% and now I know its wrong. It wasn't so much what the tickets is for but more so how he singled me out in sea of metricshiton of cars flowing down 95. I know its profiling and I also know it happens everyday but that doesn't mean I'm not annoyed and irritated by it.

Either way I was just ranting... I knew I shoulda stole my sister's car so I would've blend in with the rest of the flock.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:39 PM
SirSpeedyZ

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

sounds like your fault, maybe except the 2nd

Know your car and keep stuff current and you won't get tickets.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:13 AM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Maybe he pulled you over because he couldn't make eye contact with you or visually see the occupants in the car due to your tint, whereas that was not an issues with rest of the cars on the road at that time?

The fact that you were driving a low-slung automobile probably caught his eye and the fact that your tint seemed dark gave him a reason to want to check you out. Unfortunately, it isn't illegal for an officer to do a routine traffic stop on any car so therefore we have to make sure our affairs are always in order. I've gone through similar circumstances OP and I wish you the best of luck.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:20 AM
JCat
---------------

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

LOL at the R U Asian question......where did that come from (just curious).

The cops around here are monitoring traffic with camera's that reads your license plate and checks it against their database. It can do this like 20 times a second. I don't know if this system cross-references your license plate with the drivers license records.....but I would not be surprised if it did.

It is getting to the point where you and your car will be inspectected and approved by your friendly government official before you can even start your car.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:22 AM
Boostedtrack350

Originally Posted by Kwame@z1Auto
Maybe he pulled you over because he couldn't make eye contact with you or visually see the occupants in the car due to your tint, whereas that was not an issues with rest of the cars on the road at that time?

The fact that you were driving a low-slung automobile probably caught his eye and the fact that your tint seemed dark gave him a reason to want to check you out. Unfortunately, it isn't illegal for an officer to do a routine traffic stop on any car so therefore we have to make sure our affairs are always in order. I've gone through similar circumstances OP and I wish you the best of luck.
Hmmmm. I dont know about that one. I am pretty sure they have to have a reason to stop you. Maybe someone else can explain?
Old 03-08-2010, 05:29 AM
blasian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Boostedtrack350
Hmmmm. I dont know about that one. I am pretty sure they have to have a reason to stop you. Maybe someone else can explain?
This was my understanding. A local cop even told me that you cannot be pulled over just for tint as well

Not sure how much of that is true, but it was straight from a cop.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:33 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You owned yourself on all 3 of those.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:35 AM
Kwame

Originally Posted by blasian
This was my understanding. A local cop even told me that you cannot be pulled over just for tint as well

Not sure how much of that is true, but it was straight from a cop.
Maybe it varies by state. At the end of the day as long as you have your **** in order and you aren't breaking any laws who cares if you get pulled over?
Old 03-08-2010, 05:42 AM
blasian

Maybe it varies by state. At the end of the day as long as you have your **** in order and you aren't breaking any laws who cares if you get pulled over?

My tint is dark but only had an issue with it once. I told the trooper my eyes are sensitive to light, which they are. Then the trooper gave me a lecture on how the good lord gave us the technology to make sunglasses even though I was wearing my glasses and said it was a crock of chit because I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt in overcast weather

After that I left... most of my friends that have trouble with tint are running 5% all around which I think is ridiculous yet at the same time, the damn sun still bothers me with it that dark. Even I don't consider my tint to be as dark as some make it out to be.

I'd say I shouldn't care but if I get pulled over for no reason again and get treated like I did something wrong, I will certainly care.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:51 AM
Kwame

Originally Posted by blasian

My tint is dark but only had an issue with it once. I told the trooper my eyes are sensitive to light, which they are. Then the trooper gave me a lecture on how the good lord gave us the technology to make sunglasses even though I was wearing my glasses and said it was a crock of chit because I was wearing shorts and a t-shirt in overcast weather

After that I left... most of my friends that have trouble with tint are running 5% all around which I think is ridiculous yet at the same time, the damn sun still bothers me with it that dark. Even I don't consider my tint to be as dark as some make it out to be.

I'd say I shouldn't care but if I get pulled over for no reason again and get treated like I did something wrong, I will certainly care.
But Greg, you are both Asian and Black. Need I say anymore...
Old 03-08-2010, 05:55 AM
blasian

But Greg, you are both Asian and Black. Need I say anymore...

Double profiling ftl

Quick Reply: Phuc nova police