Notices
Motorsports The Z in its Natural Habitat

350z Shifting

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2003, 03:08 PM
ChicagoEZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350z Shifting

When any of you guys are "racing", like say a s2000 please describe in detail how you shift. Do you you take your foot off the gas at all?

When ever i race i shift a certain way, i just want to know how many of you do the same
Old 01-16-2003, 03:10 PM
ChicagoEZ

LOL, 40 veiws and no replies thats pretty lame imo
Old 01-16-2003, 03:17 PM
koba8

I don't have a Z yet (waiting a little longer to see any changes for '04 and what the GT-R will end up looking/spec-ing out like), but in my current car I always take my foot off the gas when I drive spiritedly. I generally don't race cause I like to prove my skills to myself and a track is the best place to do that, but I still drive hard sometimes, and know that powershifting can seriously destroy your engine if you can't do it perfectly. Just my opinion, though. Personally I'd rather lose to a Yugo than cough up another $30-40K (or for the GT-R something like $60K) to replace a car I fu**ed.
Old 01-16-2003, 03:35 PM
dvlad

take my foot of the gas........and depress the clutch jsut past it's fiction point.

As koba said, i try to stay away from street racing(although sometimes it's tough not too ). Good drivers take it to teh track. Anyone can make a car go 120mph in a straight line. But it's the curves that matter.

dan
Old 01-17-2003, 11:38 AM
blackS

Default Re: 350z Shifting

Originally posted by ChicagoEZ
Do you you take your foot off the gas at all?
....as someone stated already powershifting is REALLY hard on your engine. It works, it's just not something you want to do too often...I am actually still breaking in my car, but on my previous cars (RSX-S and Z24) I still opted for regular shifting methods, just faster. If you get to know your car, and with practice, you can shift almost as fast as with a power shift, especially with a performance oriented shifter mechanism like in the 350Z. In fact, the only time I power shifted in a race was when I was neck to neck with an all motor Probe GT (I was in the Z24 with bolt ons and head job), and I did it just to get the little extra jump on him between shifts. LIke I said, it definately works, but you can even feel how hard it hits on the engine...
Old 01-17-2003, 11:43 AM
YellowBullet

Hehe, ChicagoEZ:

making sure you do your homework before facing Wisconsin S2K, aren't you?

Nothing wrong with that, of course...
Old 01-17-2003, 11:47 AM
menehune

Daily driving->lift off the throttle
Racing -> throttle all the way baby!

I've never thought about the stress being put on the engine, I always thought the stress would be on the drivetrain. Oh well, to each his own!
Old 01-17-2003, 02:37 PM
blackS

Originally posted by menehune
Daily driving->lift off the throttle
Racing -> throttle all the way baby!

I've never thought about the stress being put on the engine, I always thought the stress would be on the drivetrain. Oh well, to each his own!
...you're right most of the bulk goes on the drivetrain, but usually since you're redlining when you hold the throttle while shifting you'll notice the tach spikes one last time quickly before droping which usually puts you past the redline. I just said engine being lazy when I should have said both....
Old 01-17-2003, 02:39 PM
blackS

...btw ChicagoEZ, in your race against WisconsinS2K you said you'd use 104 octane gas and a straight pipe...I thought you guys were trying to settle the 350Z vs S2K question once and for all, but your car won't be running in stock form Oh well, I guess the question will still remain....good luck and be as safe as possible. Wish I could be there, but it's a little too far for me
Old 01-17-2003, 03:35 PM
ZFlyer

Only during racing, I stay into it. The trick for me is to hit the clutch just before the engine hits redline, stay on it and shift as fast as you can. If you get too deep into the red, lift of it'll hit the rev limiter. Make sure your not racing around a curve, because your rears will break away. Haven't spun i, but gotten close.

Hope this helps,

-Bryan
Old 01-17-2003, 08:20 PM
ChicagoEZ

Yeah thats what i do, i mnash the gas the whole timne Never let off right before i hit redline i puch the clutch and rip the gear it feels like less than half a sec. I was tryin to get a feel if others do the same, cuz every vid that sombody posts there Granny shifting i figured if Wis is granny shifting then i should have no prob, as for my exhuast all i did was remove a pre silencer and replaced it twith a 12" piece od tube, nothing even close to a performance mod. And i burned up all the 104 tonight fukin arround so i just filled it up with mobil 93 Full tank acctualy. I am having problems hooking up after luanch though oh well if im spinnin em then so will Wis so it should be a goosd race
Old 01-18-2003, 12:13 AM
menehune

I noticed the same "lift-off the gas" shifting in the video's too.

May the FORCE be with you Chicago! RIPPEM THRU DA GEARS!

Old 01-18-2003, 12:29 PM
ZFlyer

Does the car run well on 104? I've heard rumors that it was bad in the long run for the engine. But I'm no expert on fuel.

-Bryan
Old 01-19-2003, 12:48 PM
32turns

What about at launch?
In cars, I've always revved and eased out the clutch.
On bikes, I've revved pretty strong and popped the clutch at launch.

What do you folks do when goin' fo' broke?
I figure I better ask now, before my Z gets delivered.
Old 01-22-2003, 04:04 PM
joeshow750

When launching on bikes and cars I find an rpm that won't cause much tire spin for a car and won't cause a wheelie on a bike. In the car I simply drop the clutch and chirp them as little as possible, then stomp on the gas or roll on the throttle for bikes. On AWD I pretty much do the same but I don't worry about wheelspin as much.
Old 01-24-2003, 11:46 AM
jooklum99

Default I'm not expert but...

I have raced a couple of s2ks. (That's right, exactly 2). I guess you would say that I granny shift. If you are racing a stock s2k from a stop and you a good driver, then you should have no problem. If (s)he gets a good launch you may have your hands full. As has been stated in many places, these cars are just about equal...especially from a roll. If it is a controlled environment, you should really pull away after redline in 4th gear. In my experience, we (Z owners) start to slowly walk away in 5th gear.

My shift technique: a well-synchronized lift-off throttle then shift @ ~6400 RPM so as not to hit the rev limiter. Smooth is fast.

Let us know how your race goes.
Old 01-24-2003, 01:14 PM
ChicagoEZ

I already beat him
Old 02-24-2003, 08:49 PM
Inova

very nice! did you happen to get that on video or anything? how did you shift to beat him?