Notices
Motorsports The Z in its Natural Habitat

My first HPDE course

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2003, 07:12 PM
uro279

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first HPDE course

Alright, I finally did my first HPDE course at Thunderhill today-it was awesome! I learned an incredible amount about me and my car. What I especially learned is that my car's limit is much more than my skill limit. However, by the end of the day, I was quickly approaching the car's limit!

It was incredible being there with Club Z seeing all those other Z's along with Viper's, Porches, WRX's, etc.. Truely an inspiring site!

I also quickly realized that at my current level, there is no need for mods. I have not reached a level of skill that my car cannot handle.

What I need to know is what should I do after my next HPDE class next week? I have been advised to do some Autocrossing as that will quickly teach me the limits of my car along with some valuable skills. Also, carting has been recommended (also by Raceboy). Do you guys concur with the above?

As always, thanks for your help!
Old 01-19-2003, 09:00 PM
D'oh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've done 2 AutoX's, and will be visiting Laguna Seca in about two weeks.

he AutoX's were really fun, plus they were inexpensive and since the speeds are pretty low, there is very little fear about crashing. Track time is very limited (probably less than 15 minutes total) and you typically will need to work the course as well, but those two factors are part of what make the AutoX very fun. Also, you will typically be able to run the entire course in 2nd gear, which allows you to focus more on the feel of the car, the proper line, and the braking points.

I haven't been karting yet, but some of my AutoX friends have been and they really like it.

I hope to attend some AutoX schools sometime, but I haven't looked into any yet.

One of my friends said that the best training he ever had was when he went to the Porsche Driving School (he had a older 911 at the time), but I don't know if you can attend in just any old car, hehe.

-D'oh!
Old 01-20-2003, 05:45 PM
ethan84ae
Charter Member #35

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Let's see your NASA Pics!

Here's mine:

http://imageevent.com/ethan84ae/nasahpdelimerockpark
Old 01-20-2003, 07:08 PM
uro279

Default It was a club Z event

Originally posted by ethan84ae
Let's see your NASA Pics!

Here's mine:

http://imageevent.com/ethan84ae/nasahpdelimerockpark
Hey ethan!
It wasn't a NASA event, but a club event. As for NASA events, some of the guys there scared me away from them because they said that beginners are running with the advanced and because of this, it's dangerous.

Other than that, yes, the car handle's tremendously! Very predictable, well balanced, good steering, and for me no fade since I have the track model. I wasn't going as fast as your but I had fun and learned alot! I have a second track event this coming up weekend and am very excited on further developing my skills!
Old 01-20-2003, 11:25 PM
brianw

NASA, at least in SoCal, is an excellent organization. The SE-R guys have heaps of praise for them and prefer to run with NASA over SpeedTrialUSA and most of the other groups out there.

Might want to pick up a book or two on performance driving.

Auto-x is great too. Keep in mind that your car's behaviour at low-speeds (in auto-x) will probably be different than it is at high speeds (around the track)- but it's just another way to explore the limits.

Damn you... no fade. I'm jealous. (even with my Porterfield R4 pads, Motul 600, and SS lines I know I'm not fade-proof!)
Old 01-21-2003, 06:48 AM
uro279

Originally posted by brianw
NASA, at least in SoCal, is an excellent organization. The SE-R guys have heaps of praise for them and prefer to run with NASA over SpeedTrialUSA and most of the other groups out there.

Might want to pick up a book or two on performance driving.

Auto-x is great too. Keep in mind that your car's behaviour at low-speeds (in auto-x) will probably be different than it is at high speeds (around the track)- but it's just another way to explore the limits.

Damn you... no fade. I'm jealous. (even with my Porterfield R4 pads, Motul 600, and SS lines I know I'm not fade-proof!)
Thanks for the book infor Brian! I'll look those up. Also, I'm hearing more about Porterfield. Can you tell me more about them? How good are they? Why are they so popular? Are they better than Hawks? Can I get a street/track combo? Less dust? More grip? Easy on the rotor? Better brake feel?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm trying to learn as much as possible.

Thanks again.
Old 01-21-2003, 08:16 AM
ethan84ae
Charter Member #35

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: It was a club Z event

Originally posted by uro279
Hey ethan!
It wasn't a NASA event, but a club event. As for NASA events, some of the guys there scared me away from them because they said that beginners are running with the advanced and because of this, it's dangerous.

Other than that, yes, the car handle's tremendously! Very predictable, well balanced, good steering, and for me no fade since I have the track model. I wasn't going as fast as your but I had fun and learned alot! I have a second track event this coming up weekend and am very excited on further developing my skills!

I thought that HPDE was a NASA thing...:
http://www.nasaproracing.com/hpde/index.html

Wish I had the track model!
Old 01-21-2003, 08:27 PM
uro279

Default Re: uro279

Originally posted by bb6h22a
Did you run the full course w/ the 'crows nest' or did you run the bypass at T5? I did a two day event at Thunderhill last year in a track prepped Integra Type R, and had a blast; Thunderhill is probably one of THE finest track in CA ( Laguna Seca has an edge, IMO, only b/c of historical significance.)

I agree that you should definatly get as much seat time as you can, as it's the only way to really, fundamentally, get a felling for your car, and it's behavior at or near the limit.

Regarding the auto-x idea, I auto-x'd for 2 years before I began doing open track events, and found that the car control and smoothness that I developed there carried over to the track very easily; however, I would caution against using auto-x as the venue by which you tune your car suspension/tire pressure settings. Auto-x settings, on the whole, are usually much more radical than track settings, and do not carry over to the track; i.e. crazy tire pressures, high rear spring rates, lots of camber and toe; all of which will, IMO, adversly affect the car behavior at the track, unless it's a very short, and technical one.

Porterfield pads are a nice choice, an interim pad is the R4s; it's an int. pad; good cold, relativly low dust, low noise, and good fade resistence at the track. The more aggressive porterfield is the R4 which, for all intents and purposes, is a dedicated track pad; significantly more dust, some noise, and so-so cold torque. You may also want to consider carbotech pads; I've been using the panther plus as my track/street pad (although it's mostly a track pad), and have been very happy; however, be warned, they dust (a lot), make noise, and are not great cold, but at temp are AMAZING! Ferodo makes a good pad as well.

Lastly, a good intro book on understanding fundamental concepts of car behavior and control is this one.

Regards, and should you ever want to try some of the so. cal. track (buttonwillow, willow springs, streets of willow, etc.) shoot me an email, I've got 10 track events on the calandar for this year. Most down here.

PS- You've got to run Sears Point w/ the carousel. Now thats fun!
I ran the entire course. It was a blast! I always seemed to have trouble at turn 11. I really need to practice by heel-toeing! Speaking of which, have you guys been able to heel-toe with the stock pedals easily, or did you switch them out for wider pedals?

Thanks!
Old 01-21-2003, 09:40 PM
LPEdave

Practice heel-toe on the street, all the time. It'll be easier than learning it on the track. Imagine trying to get it right into turn 14, watching those tires coming at you! Actually, maybe you did

Turn 11 is a definite one where it'll help, you're right. You want to carry more speed through T10 faster than one would expect, then nail the brakes and downshift for T11. Get the car turned, and accellerate through the S'es onto the straight. So basically you've got to get the speed scrubbed off and downshift on T11. Don't downshift on T10.

Not that I have a 350Z, but that's how I do it in my Z28.

Dave