Notices
Motorsports The Z in its Natural Habitat

350z vs. S2000

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2003, 08:49 PM
Vad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350z vs. S2000

Ok lets get this straight..... tip tronic is only slower then manual becuase of the electronic lag when u shift... so lets say you get to know the car real well and know your shift points.. if you shift a lil bit ahead of time u can hit ur **** point pretty dam nice.... so the dif cant be much between manual and auto... and plus u get to choose between both so hey thats a plus... so a tip 350z vs. a manual s2000... what would you say.. rape?...... or close race with 350z in back..
Old 02-03-2003, 09:03 PM
Mr Fairlady

hmmmm,...its like off the line I believe you would take it,...but that triptronic **** is weird,,,you probably won't get raped---but smote def I think,.....
Hard to tell,...driver experience w/ the S2000 would be the mainfactor,..but I am hearing a few Auto Z's gettin beat but then again,...everyone gets beat,..**** it! We don't exactly have the CAR of teh Century---it can be beat--I just think if we do lose.....it will be lookin good though,..It def is the "Looks" car of the year I think,....everyone always wants to take to me about mine!!!

S2000 is gonna be the fun race,..I have 2 friends w/ them and I'm sure I'm gonna race them soon!! So I'll let ya know,..1 of them can drive pretty good,..but he's never had a RWD or a S2000 for that matter---but the other is not the best Manual driver---I raced him in my old RSX-S(modded) to his GTS-(all trd modded ++) out,..and he had the damn **** in reverse(rev is right by 1st gear) when we took off,..hahahaha

but I still need to learn how to launch the Z.....it seems tricky,...but need to just almost waste a damn half-a-tank praticenghahahahah---

Thats just my take!

Cliff notes:350Z---damn sure #1 in the looks dept!
Old 02-03-2003, 09:04 PM
D'oh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drivers race.

The S can be very fast, but I think the Z (especially the auto) can be more consistent. Of course, neither car is at its best in a drag race.

-D'oh!
Old 02-03-2003, 09:57 PM
integrate

Has anyone even ran the 1/4 in an automatic Z?

If it's any consolation, there's a video of an S2000 simply killing a G35 Coupe Auto. Sakred has a G35C as a rental, while his Z is in the shop, and he got smoked by an S2000 (in the G35C). Remember, the 6-speed G35C ran a 14.2.

Personally, I don't think the auto Z gets enough power to the ground to stay with a manual Z, but who knows. I've seen one auto Z get about 225rwhp, I think.

Last edited by integrate; 02-03-2003 at 10:09 PM.
Old 02-03-2003, 10:05 PM
Punk MD

Default Re: 350z vs. S2000

Originally posted by Vad
Ok lets get this straight..... tip tronic is only slower then manual becuase of the electronic lag when u shift... so lets say you get to know the car real well and know your shift points.. if you shift a lil bit ahead of time u can hit ur **** point pretty dam nice.
That's not the only reason the auto is slower. Since it (like all auto trannies do) has a torque converter there is more drivetrain loss, so less power gets to the wheels.

Also, even if you launch by holding the brakes and revving the engine, you will never get as good of a launch as with a manual. You need just the right amount of drivetrain slippage (in the manual, clutch slippage) in order to get a perfect launch.
Old 02-05-2003, 06:13 PM
damcgee

Punk MD, I agree with your first statement, and I halfway agree with your second. You're absolutely right, an automatic transmission suffers more parasitic drivetrain losses than a manual.
However, it is definitely easier for a beginner to launch an auto, because a torque converter does apply full power as soon as you let off the brake, it gradually reaches full holding power, kinda doing the same thing you can do by slipping the clutch with a manual. This amount of slip can be changed by what kind of torque converter you have. This is why you see many high-end drag cars running autos. Once you have 500 hp, the amount of loss by an auto is fairly negligible, and an auto is so consistent that you prefer an auto. Consistency is more important than speed in drag racing (at least bracket racing). And what idiot can't let a tranny shift for them consistently?
Old 02-05-2003, 07:34 PM
integrate

Originally posted by damcgee
Punk MD, I agree with your first statement, and I halfway agree with your second. You're absolutely right, an automatic transmission suffers more parasitic drivetrain losses than a manual.
However, it is definitely easier for a beginner to launch an auto, because a torque converter does apply full power as soon as you let off the brake, it gradually reaches full holding power, kinda doing the same thing you can do by slipping the clutch with a manual. This amount of slip can be changed by what kind of torque converter you have. This is why you see many high-end drag cars running autos. Once you have 500 hp, the amount of loss by an auto is fairly negligible, and an auto is so consistent that you prefer an auto. Consistency is more important than speed in drag racing (at least bracket racing). And what idiot can't let a tranny shift for them consistently?
I don't even think the stock auto tranny would be able to hold 500HP.
Old 03-06-2003, 06:11 PM
bcutrufelli1

Default just another post

Ok I do not own a 350z i have a 200sx se-r. Nissan's have great engines but not so great tranny's. To get the stock tranny to hold 500hp you would at least have to have the gears shotppened, cryotreated and have it case welded. As far as Auto consistincy and 500hp those cars have far more advanced tranny's. It is not even a fair comparison. Bracket racing in my opinion is not something typically reserved for 350z's or 500hp cars.
Old 03-07-2003, 06:25 AM
Mrsideways

Default Humm.

Don't Automatic trannies Eat more HP. And Isn't the gearing a bit different. (5sp vs 6sp manual). The S2000 is pretty brainless to launch (after doing 24 over the past 2 weeks) I just had problems staging at the Pro Solo, Couldn't get the lights to stay on because they were being triggered by the Wind deflector with is SOOO thin. Anyway I was loosing a little less then a car length to a Z4 on the launch and the Z4 was cutting 1.9 60 fts on the pratice day. Now granted this was on Autox tires on un prepred concrete so a 1.9 60ft is DAMN impressive. Z06's were cutting 2.0's and the Cobb Subaru (the cover of Sport compact car this month) Cut 1.8 60 fts. I'm guessing I was cutting 2.1's or so with a Very Brainless 7500-8000rpm dump it and modulate throttle. I think a Stick Z would out launch me but an Automatic. I'm sorry I highly doubt it and if you did it would be a very very narrow lead that would probably get reeled in pretty quickly.
Has anyone Dyno'd an automatic vs a Stick to see the drivetrain loss difference?
Old 03-07-2003, 08:10 AM
YellowBullet

Automatic: more drivetrain loss, slower shifts, usually taller gears.

Those three can sometime add up to a lot. Like a full second slower in the 1/4 than the manual. Sometimes the difference is negligible.

The only advantage automatics have is consistency. And also on turbo cars, they have the advantage of not losing the boost on the upshifts.

I have no idea what's the situation with the Z though. It could be nearly as fast as the manual, or it could be a lot slower.
Old 03-07-2003, 08:15 AM
JimH

Default Re: Humm.

I run an automatic 350 here in AZ. The track is @ 1800' and my NHRA corrected 60' is 2.06 (2.106 uncorrected) and best 1/4 time corrected is 13.184 (14.102 uncorrected). See here https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....eadid=20424for the dyno. I am going to another dyno site soon to dyno again because the car runs too well for those first dyno # to be correct. (Yet, those figures equate w/24% loss that auto would normally give) Plus, no fans on pulls, TCS was on and he dyno'd in 3rd! Oh, as to launching w/auto? Much better than the manual equipped 350 was doing the same day. He never got out of the the 14.6xx area all day and suffered bad wheel hop. Regards, Jim

Originally posted by Mrsideways
Don't Automatic trannies Eat more HP. And Isn't the gearing a bit different. (5sp vs 6sp manual). The S2000 is pretty brainless to launch (after doing 24 over the past 2 weeks) I just had problems staging at the Pro Solo, Couldn't get the lights to stay on because they were being triggered by the Wind deflector with is SOOO thin. Anyway I was loosing a little less then a car length to a Z4 on the launch and the Z4 was cutting 1.9 60 fts on the pratice day. Now granted this was on Autox tires on un prepred concrete so a 1.9 60ft is DAMN impressive. Z06's were cutting 2.0's and the Cobb Subaru (the cover of Sport compact car this month) Cut 1.8 60 fts. I'm guessing I was cutting 2.1's or so with a Very Brainless 7500-8000rpm dump it and modulate throttle. I think a Stick Z would out launch me but an Automatic. I'm sorry I highly doubt it and if you did it would be a very very narrow lead that would probably get reeled in pretty quickly.
Has anyone Dyno'd an automatic vs a Stick to see the drivetrain loss difference?
Old 03-07-2003, 08:20 AM
JimH

Default Re: Re: Humm.

Whoops! I transposed those numbers on the corrected 1/4 time. It should read 13.814, NOT 13.184. I can only wish for a 13.184! Regards, Jim

Originally posted by JimH
I run an automatic 350 here in AZ. The track is @ 1800' and my NHRA corrected 60' is 2.06 (2.106 uncorrected) and best 1/4 time corrected is 13.184 (14.102 uncorrected). See here https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....eadid=20424for the dyno. I am going to another dyno site soon to dyno again because the car runs too well for those first dyno # to be correct. (Yet, those figures equate w/24% loss that auto would normally give) Plus, no fans on pulls, TCS was on and he dyno'd in 3rd! Oh, as to launching w/auto? Much better than the manual equipped 350 was doing the same day. He never got out of the the 14.6xx area all day and suffered bad wheel hop. Regards, Jim
Old 03-07-2003, 11:36 AM
ChurchAutoTest

Looks like you were at PRP. Its actually at about 1200' altitude (don't have my USGS data with me). Can't really correct 60 fts either as the traction limitation usually means that they don't vary much unless you're in Denver or something :-)

For those that want to correct ETs and traps, here are some good links:

http://wahiduddin.net/calc/calc_hp_dp.htm

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/misc/altitude.html

Use the first link to find your density altitude (DA) and then go to the table in the 2nd link to find your correction factor.

BTW, 14.1 for an auto is very impressive!

SC