Notices
Motorsports The Z in its Natural Habitat

Lexus GS400 vs. 350z

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2003, 03:18 PM
DrDrilZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wel i have a 2000 gs400 and id say that the 2 cars are about even. it all depends on driver. heres my story about my Z vs my GS400
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=15084
Old 02-18-2003, 03:22 PM
quallabone_

I would have to say the lexus would win in my mind. something like 300hp stock with the option to tune up to 350 for a grand straight from toyota. The SC400 would be an awesome race as well. 2JZ engine (supra).
Old 02-18-2003, 03:24 PM
DrDrilZ

Originally posted by quallabone
I would have to say the lexus would win in my mind. something like 300hp stock with the option to tune up to 350 for a grand straight from toyota. The SC400 would be an awesome race as well. 2JZ engine (supra).
tell me how i can get 350hp with 1g from toyota??? im seriously interested!
Old 02-18-2003, 03:29 PM
quallabone_

The engine straight from toyota is the most air starved engine on the planet. I know that 1k is not a lot but Toyota used it as a loss leader much like the new neon and the mazdaspeed (both quite underpriced).

Toyota put a dual 2.5 inch exhaust header back with a larger TB and free flowing intake. Upgraded chip as well. Maybe more I'm not sure. Someone on here probably knows the specifics.
Old 02-18-2003, 03:40 PM
quallabone_

hey spiffy. Loving your car. Gorgeous. I'll trade you for a week
Old 02-18-2003, 06:37 PM
DrRick

well having owned a GS4 and now owning a G Coupe (and raced a GS400 with it), i too will echo that it will be close. the lex is alot easier to launch and the results are more predictable. but with 2 good drivers, the 350 should be able to take it. when i raced a modded GS (TC, LSD) i smoked him off the line, but he forgot to turn off his traction control. from a 60 roll, the results were dead even. it all depended on who got the jump. my 2 cents......

Doc
Old 02-18-2003, 09:30 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have both a GS430 and the Z.....have yet to run them but just crunching numbers the Z should beat the GS. They both dyno basically in the same hp range...but the Z is 400 lbs LIGHTER than the GS...plus it has shorter gearing. A properly driven Z should beat a GS off the line...and be able to hold him off till the speed limiter.

The GS "feels" faster than the Z because of it's torque and the fact that it's SO DAMN quiet and smooth under WOT....the only thing I don't like about the car is it's trans...shifts take FOREVER....

I'll have one of my friends drive the GS in the spring against the Z....possibly take some videos..and then we'll really see what will happen.
Old 02-18-2003, 09:32 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Default Re: Lexus GS400 vs. 350z

Originally posted by High_Velocity_Bullit
Any of you raced a GS400? A friend of mine owns one and they are fast cars, run 1/4 mile 14.2 and 0-60 in 5.7, and all that with a lousy drive that motor trend uses. He is basicaly holds with my Bullitt. I usually take him on launch up through 3rd gear, then he stays with me from there. If they are driven by a good driver they are tuff car. My friend says he beat a 350z (actually I was with him) on an up hill run from a stoplight. Any of you had any experiences with them?

So your friend "Mr Spiffy" says he beat a 350Z.....and then you suddenly remeber that you were "with him" at the time?...um...ok.
Old 02-18-2003, 10:18 PM
quallabone_

Default Re: Re: Lexus GS400 vs. 350z

Originally posted by BriGuyMax
So your friend "Mr Spiffy" says he beat a 350Z.....and then you suddenly remeber that you were "with him" at the time?...um...ok.
Hmmm. Hmmmmmmmmm. Hmmmmmmmmmmm.. Nope can't think of anything intelligent to say. How's this? EAT A BAG YOU PATHETIC MAN WHO ATTEMPTS TO POKE HOLES IN EVERYTHING THAT PEOPLE SAY. I recall you doing the same thing to me. And aren't you the cool guy who says slicks don't help in drags? There now that is an example of pointless shots at a person. Don't do it anymore.
Old 02-18-2003, 11:00 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Default Re: Re: Re: Lexus GS400 vs. 350z

Hmmm. Hmmmmmmmmm. Hmmmmmmmmmmm.. Nope can't think of anything intelligent to say. How's this? EAT A BAG YOU PATHETIC MAN WHO ATTEMPTS TO POKE HOLES IN EVERYTHING THAT PEOPLE SAY. I recall you doing the same thing to me. And aren't you the cool guy who says slicks don't help in drags? There now that is an example of pointless shots at a person. Don't do it anymore.

If you would correctly quote me...I simply said that slicks will NOT improve your trap speed...in most cases they will make it LOWER....don't play with my words.

BTW - Did I ask YOU to tell ME what to do???

I was nice and didn't attack your post in this thread in which you posted a BUNCH OF BS....including that a SC400 has a supra motor...when in fact it has a 4L V8....do you want me to rip you apart for your dumb posts too??? I don't want to discriminate.
Old 02-19-2003, 06:27 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

I didnt just "remember" that he was with me, I thought I would state it. Does that really make any difference? What does my being there have to do with anything, other than to verify that he did it. Oh and from my perspective, the 350z guy didn't really try that hard, looked like he got scared when my friends GS was holding with him. It was up a hill with corners, so he backed off, or got scared. But the point is still that my friend was slightly ahead before he backed off.

I never said that it didn't happen...just that they way that you said that was a little wierd...

Anything can happen in a street race....and the GS and 350Z are very close in straight line performance so it really could go either way, all I was saying is that ultimately I think the 350 is a quicker car...and I have both.
Old 02-19-2003, 12:47 PM
theslansk

Default Re: Re: Re: Lexus GS400 vs. 350z

From the post I read, BriGuyMax said that slicks do help--the two similarly modded maximas ran diff, with the one on slicks taking the 13.9 ET. I think his point, which you might be confusing, was that slicks give you a better ET but a lower trap speed. This is something that is not intuitive, and so he was pointing it out and explaining it.

Dude, you need to settle down. The only thing people were questioning you about before were your comments regarding a Z06 350Z road course matchup.

Seriously, next time you say to yourself "can't think of anything itelligent to say," consider not bothering to post.

And as for that GS430 matchup vs. 350Z---it will be interesting. It's hard to say which will take the prize, but I'm thinking that the tranny will cause the GS to lose...although...that GS has got the power.

Brian---do you have the video of the GS burnout?? Please post if you do.

B.
Old 02-19-2003, 12:49 PM
theslansk

I didnt just "remember" that he was with me, I thought I would state it. Does that really make any difference? What does my being there have to do with anything, other than to verify that he did it. Oh and from my perspective, the 350z guy didn't really try that hard, looked like he got scared when my friends GS was holding with him. It was up a hill with corners, so he backed off, or got scared. But the point is still that my friend was slightly ahead before he backed off.
Too bad he backed off. What speed was the backoff?

B.
Old 02-19-2003, 01:00 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Lexus GS400 vs. 350z

Originally posted by theslansk

Brian---do you have the video of the GS burnout?? Please post if you do.

B.
I'd have to upload it from the camera and get it hosted....not really worth it...
Old 02-19-2003, 01:09 PM
quallabone_

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Lexus GS400 vs. 350z

Originally posted by BriGuyMax
....including that a SC400 has a supra motor...when in fact it has a 4L V8....
sorry. I was talking about the 300 not the 400
Old 02-19-2003, 01:15 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Lexus GS400 vs. 350z

sorry. I was talking about the 300 not the 400
So now that we've gotten that cleared up...tell us Lexus guys (I'm a member over at Club Lexus too)...how to get an extra 50hp out of the GS for only 1000 greenbacks...becuase I and a lot of other people with GSs would tell you differently....Toyota has NO ENGINE mods available for the GS400-430.

An SRT intake and chip will net aroud 15-20hp...or at least they claim...but nothing else short of forced induction or nitrous will add much more hp on these cars.

Quick Reply: Lexus GS400 vs. 350z