Motorsports The Z in its Natural Habitat

Going to the Track for first time, need some input

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2003, 05:52 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going to the Track for first time, need some input

I am going to go to Sebring for a weekend of running on the track with Speedventures and it is my first time on the track, I have done a couple of autox and these issues don't concern me that much for autox but being that the track is more exposure for the car I wanted to make sure I do it right. Well I have been going around and around on what to do about tires and brakes:

First thought was to get R Compound tires on my spare 17" wheels and track brake pads.

Second was to run with current tires (Proxes T1S) and street/autox/track pads.

The first one was suggested by someone that races as it would be the best equipment and perform better.
The second was suggested by a couple of people including the school as it would help me learn the limits of the car better and to go with the tires/pads after a few events where I can tell the difference of their impact and I would learn faster. I thought this made sense and I am leaning toward it and purchased some Axxis Ultimate pads and any other improvements will be permanent (swaybars/brake lines/synthetic fluids) so the car will always have them unlike R compound tires and track pads which would be replaced after track events and I would be with a car that is not what I learned with.

Thoughts?
Old 03-13-2003, 10:08 PM
FlyingToaster

I am not sure how familiar you are with your car, but let's assume that since this is your first time on track you do not fully know the limits of it.

If that assumption is correct, then my suggestion would be to go to the track with stock setup. This way, you would not only learn your own driving style, also how the car fits to you with that style. This way you will be able to determine the shortcommings of the car for you. The same car behaves differently with different drivers, it is a matter of style in my opinion.

With that knowledge of the shortcommings, you can then think about the upgrades to compensate for them better and make the car suit you better on the track.

However, there are some general rules you should observe:
- Change engine oil before the track event
- Bleed the breaks
- Make sure your helmet and other gear is compliant with the specs
- do not have anything loose in the car
- remember the windows will stay open on the track and if it is raining, do not keep thinking of the interior of the car, just keep concentrating on the road (err... that's all I have to say about that )

One problem you may encounter is that with stock brakes if you push them too hard, they may warp and that is not covered under warranty by most manufacturers, not sure about Nissan. So, things like AXXIS pads and racing brake fluids help a lot. I think of them as preventive measures.

Good luck and enjoy.

FT!
Old 03-14-2003, 05:03 AM
westpak
SFZCC

Thanks for input, that pretty much reaffirms the way I was leaning to which is the second way. I am going to change all fluids to synthetic and the only handling change is the swaybrs which will be permanent so that wont be a factor in learning the car. But I agree that the competition tires and brake pads would keep me from really learning the car and I would probably enjoy more putting those items on after a few events to see how they affect the car. I can't wait.
Old 03-14-2003, 05:06 AM
Moroccan_Mole

if you do nothing else, change your brake fluid, either some synthetic or motul / ate superblue. you do not want your brake fluid to boil.

i would also say rcompound tires are well worth it, especially since you already have an extra set of wheels. you do not want to burn up your expensive street tires from 2 days on the track.
Old 03-14-2003, 11:19 AM
John

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A lot of schools won't allow you to run R-compound tires unless you're in the advanced group since they are so much less forgiving. Once they break traction, there's much less room to recover.

I couldn't have said it better than FlyingToaster said. The driver makes the car, the car doesn't make the driver. I would recommend a set of track pads and bleeding your brakes as previously mentioned. I personally don't like the Axxis Ultimates, but to each their own. I ordered Cobalt's new line of pads (GT-S pad is the only one availablat at the moment for the 350Z), and I'll report back next month after I put them to the test at Mid-Ohio.
Old 03-15-2003, 07:19 AM
FlyingToaster

It may be too late already, you may be at the track; but I'll still put one more recommendation:

Inflate your tires about 4 psi more than manufacturer's recommendations and write in to an index car. Contrary to general belief, running lower pressures will not make the tires act like softer compound tires, but make the car feel like having lower spring rates and increase tire wall slip angles, which none are good things to have

At the track, after few laps determine if the car is under- or oversteering. If it understeers, take off 2 psi from the rears, if it oversteers (which a little of it is good but not too much), take off 2 psi from the fronts. Shortcut of having adjustable springs

Enjoy your event, I hope all is going safe and fun.

FT!
Old 03-15-2003, 08:10 AM
westpak
SFZCC

No it is not too late it is in 2 weeks, and thanks for all the input. I think I might get some cheap performance tires like Kumho MX's or Falken Aziens to put on the 17's and beat them up instead of my expensive Toyo's.

Keep advise coming it is great.
Old 03-16-2003, 07:44 AM
k27

As this is your first outing at the track, a few tidbits of advice for you.
Don't do anything to your car other than make sure it is in tip top mechanical condition, you should have to pass a tech inspection anyway.
Do not expect to be anywhere near finding the "limits" of your car during your first "season" of track events.
If they let you do this sort of thing, find a different school as you are in a dangerous situtation for you your car and from other drivers.
You should recieve expert instruction on braking, shifting, the racing line, trail braking, safety etc.
You WILL be humbled by how poorly you can control your car and your focus should be kept on the basics by the instructor.
You will not be driving 10/10ths and you will be a better driver a safer driver and you will be able to build confidence and speed over time.
Smooth is a word you will here a lot, learning to balance the car with smooth inputs.
Safety is paramount at the track and I am sure if you are being dangerous your day will end.
I would be surprised if you are even out on your own the first time, depends on the instructors.
Oh yes one more really important thing...enjoy yourself, that means you and your pride and joy come home in the same condition you arrived.

Last edited by k27; 03-16-2003 at 07:47 AM.