Motorsports The Z in its Natural Habitat

350z vs trans am

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2003, 03:14 PM
Zmeflyby

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350z vs trans am

hey guys

well.. this trans am guy asked me if i wanted to race. he has a 2001 trans am not a ws6 and no ram air hood.
he ran his best at a 13.8 in a 1/4 mile.
he also told me that his highest trap speed was 101.

im guessin hes not that bad of a driver but..a 13.8 is kinda high for an ls1 rite?
and i also thought trans am ls1s trap higher than us Z owners?

i havent taken my z to the strip yet, but he wants to run me next weekend.

well..wat r my chances of winning?
and oh yea he wants to race from a roll.
i think hes got the advantage here b/c of the more torque and the hp
Old 04-01-2003, 03:26 PM
FLY BY Z

He will win. Or should. My Z28 (not SS) ran 12.69 at 110 with only a K&N and a Flowmaster. I powershifted and managed a 1.8 sixty foot also. If you go from a roll, he will run the equivalent of a 12.8 to a 13.3 or so. The reason he ran a 13.8 is almost surely because of his launch. Good luck.
Old 04-01-2003, 04:13 PM
sukkoi19

He trapped 101 mph? Does he have an auto or a stick? Chances are hes a fool behind the wheel if he can only trap 101 mph. I managed a 108 mph trap stock. Tell him you want to race from a dig, if his best times are 13.8@101 then you should at least be able to tie, if not edge him out. Either that or hes lieing in an effort to lure you into a race, I have many friends that are guilty of that. "My juiced 347 runs 15s, I swear!!!" Btw the ramair on the SS and WS6 makes very little difference, and the extra weight incured by the beefier suspension probably ends up hurting them in the long run so it really doenst matter what model it is.
Old 04-01-2003, 04:22 PM
CrazyBosnian

Race him and find out, but he will beat you, and is probably lying about the 101 trap to lure you in the race, either that, or my grandma was driving it...I'm guessing its a 6 speed since he wants to go from a roll...Good luck
Old 04-01-2003, 05:01 PM
JamRWS6

He may be quoting a bad run just to get you to run. I've run a 20.xx @ 45 mph in my car before.....of course its also gone 12.99 @ 110 on a 2.15 60 ft with just a lid.

If 13.8 @ 101 is his best he is an absolute HORRIBLE driver and deserves to get schooled.

You aren't faster than his car but i'm sure you have a chance to beat him driving it. Good luck.
Old 04-01-2003, 05:14 PM
Zmeflyby

well he just got the car like a month ago b/c he wrecked his previous car which was a modded 3000gt sl.
yea he drives a stick, but hes new to the car. either way i still think he could whip my ***
im sure he ran his best at a 13.8 b/c a couple of my friends were there when he ran his best.
man i need some nawssss
so are there any weak points for this car?
Old 04-01-2003, 05:36 PM
CrazyBosnian

so are there any weak points for this car? [/B][/QUOTE]

Yeah, the driver...
Old 04-02-2003, 09:21 AM
buzzdsm

Originally posted by Zmeflyby

so are there any weak points for this car?
If you're asking about the T/A see below

Quality
Resale
Interior
Exterior (My opinion)

But you can forgot about a lot of those things just by putting your foot to the floor. They haul ***.
Old 04-02-2003, 09:45 AM
350zSpeedRacer

They go really fast in a straight line (I know, I had a 98 SS), but REALLY suck around the corners, even with some suspension work.

Tell him you'll race him in a straight line if he'll race you around the twisties.
Old 04-02-2003, 12:41 PM
Caswell

Originally posted by 350zSpeedRacer
Tell him you'll race him in a straight line if he'll race you around the twisties.
I'd love to race a 350z in "the twisties". F-car handling isn't as bad as you think, especially with minor upgrades to shocks, springs, and sway bars. The weak link (IMHO) is braking, but who needs those
Old 04-02-2003, 01:08 PM
daytona350z

Originally posted by Caswell
I'd love to race a 350z in "the twisties". F-car handling isn't as bad as you think, especially with minor upgrades to shocks, springs, and sway bars. The weak link (IMHO) is braking, but who needs those
LoL
do those cars have fully indepedent suspension front and rear?
or is it independent fron and solid/live axle type in the rear? wouldnt a solid/live axle rear be bulletproof in the straight line?

ya, and they do haul ***, friend has a Z28 just bolt ons and it is fast....wait till i get my turbo though
Old 04-02-2003, 01:16 PM
EpiC

Im going to put my foot in my mouth but can someone explain double cluthing and power shifting?
Old 04-02-2003, 01:23 PM
Last WS6

And i thought i stunk at 13.5 @103.5, damn race him before he learns how to drive it.
Old 04-02-2003, 03:26 PM
JamRWS6

Originally posted by buzzdsm

Quality
Resale
Interior
Exterior (My opinion)

But you can forgot about a lot of those things just by putting your foot to the floor. They haul ***.
Very funny.....all of those are opinion.

Quality is subjective....compared to a Porshce yea the quality is lacking....compared to a similarly priced car it is right there.

Resale sucks for all cars right now.....

Interior--- Again your opinion....the seats in this car are extremely comfortable.....and guess what it has plastic in it just like all other cars.

Exterior----once again your opinion......my opinion is it looks badass.
Old 04-02-2003, 03:53 PM
brandboZ28

Originally posted by JamRWS6

Exterior----once again your opinion......my opinion is it looks badass.
Yes it does!!!
Old 04-02-2003, 04:27 PM
350zSpeedRacer

Originally posted by Caswell
Um, I had a 98 SS, with upgraded suspension. My Z kills it in the corners.
Old 04-02-2003, 05:51 PM
Last WS6

Originally posted by buzzdsm

Quality
Resale
Interior
Exterior (My opinion)

Quality- I agree. My cars burns oil. It has rattles and has been down for two window motors. I was denied warranty coverage because of extensive mods. Learned a lesson.

Resale. Yup totally agree, it sucks.

Interior. I love the stereo controls on the sterring wheel. Big blind spot. Leather seat holdiong up nicely. Carpet has some kool aid stains on it.

Exterior? All in the taste. If we all liked the same cars the road would be boring to the eye.
Old 04-02-2003, 08:16 PM
StockLT1

Originally posted by EpiC
Im going to put my foot in my mouth but can someone explain double cluthing and power shifting?

Double clutching is taking the car into neutral, rev matching the next gear (up or downshift) with the clutch out, pushing in the clutch and shifting to the next gear. You don't need to do it on an upshift unless you're driving something without synchos, like a semi. While downshifting it saves a bit of wear on the synchros if you're going from 6th to 3rd or something extreme like that.

Powershifting is just shifting at WOT. You still use the clutch,(barely, or you'll hit the rev limiter) but you don't let off the gas while upshifting.
Old 04-02-2003, 09:58 PM
sukkoi19

Originally posted by StockLT1
Double clutching is taking the car into neutral, rev matching the next gear (up or downshift) with the clutch out, pushing in the clutch and shifting to the next gear. You don't need to do it on an upshift unless you're driving something without synchos, like a semi. While downshifting it saves a bit of wear on the synchros if you're going from 6th to 3rd or something extreme like that.

Powershifting is just shifting at WOT. You still use the clutch,(barely, or you'll hit the rev limiter) but you don't let off the gas while upshifting.
Well thats not technically double clutching. All you do to double clutch is push the clutch in to take it out of gear let the clutch up and then push it back in to stick it in another gear. Rev matching on a downshift is just that rev matching. In a big rig you have a 400 rpm (give or take) split. If you want to upshift you allow the rpm to fall 400 rpms less than what you were at, and to downshift you rev the engine 400 rpms greater than what you were at. All this can be done without the clutch at all. If you know your car well you can drive it just like a big rig and only use the clutch when coming to a stop and taking off.
Old 04-03-2003, 06:21 AM
JP00SS

Originally posted by 350zSpeedRacer
Um, I had a 98 SS, with upgraded suspension. My Z kills it in the corners.
What all did u have done to ur SS?

Quick Reply: 350z vs trans am