Notices
NA Builds Specifically for naturally aspirated builds & projects with Cams, Pistons Rods, Heads, Valves, etc

Photos on engine rebuild (N/A)

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 11:20 PM
ZON

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmmm

(takes note of this)
Old 02-13-2006, 07:06 AM
spacemn_spiff

Originally Posted by rednezz
Couldn't he just get a light weight pulley and balance with the rest of the engine? Also, I thought fluid dampers were for American engines because they are not balanced internally?
Vibration is underestimated by most people, engineers especially mechanical engineers can relate to this. There are n number of natural frequency modes, that means it vibrates at max amplitude not just at one frequency but a succession of ascending frequencies. So even if you try to damp down the first mode, the next mode will definitely excite the body and the higher modes are not just effect of balancing the crankshaft, but the entire system coupled together, so the stiffness of the engine block, crankshaft and other load carrying members play into effect. For example, the engine block will get excited at different frequency than the crank, so a block designer/analyst will try to get those harmonics out by playing/tuning with stiffness in different parts of the block.

There is a reason why inline 6s, 90 deg V8s are considered very well balanced because of the geometry and how the whole system gets excited at the lower modes when the engine is firing.

People love changing flywheels, pulleys etc and are under the illusion that that is the good for the engine and performance, while opposite might be the case.

Dont underestimate the manufacturers design when it comes to advanced engineering, its just plain ignorant.

BTW, keep it up Richie, you are doing a great mod or mods.

Last edited by spacemn_spiff; 02-13-2006 at 07:08 AM.
Old 02-27-2006, 05:51 PM
Z350Lover

the fluidampr pulley just arrived... but unfortunately I am not in the country... but already asked my wife to take a pictures for me... and here they are... according to that company, the weight is only 0.9 pond more than the stock one and this is also balanced internally ready to bolt on.... so it shouldn't affect that much on the HP really... and I will put that one on as soon as I get back to australia in 2.5 weeks time... keep you guys posted on the result!

cheers,

richie
Attached Thumbnails Photos on engine rebuild (N/A)-pully.jpg   Photos on engine rebuild (N/A)-pully-back.jpg   Photos on engine rebuild (N/A)-pully-bottom.jpg   Photos on engine rebuild (N/A)-pully-top.jpg  

Last edited by Z350Lover; 02-27-2006 at 08:06 PM.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:58 PM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

There you go Richie! That's exactly what your engine needs to keep it reving a long time.
Old 02-27-2006, 08:51 PM
godmans

time to get some more vids of the cool VQ!!
Old 02-28-2006, 09:45 AM
ken350z

Originally Posted by Nismo 350z
I thought the Z didn't come with a harmonic dampener???
When I replaced my crank pulley I noticed that the stock one DEFINITLY had a rubber section to isolate the outer section. I'm assuming that is the dampener.

K
Old 02-28-2006, 11:43 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Originally Posted by ken350z
When I replaced my crank pulley I noticed that the stock one DEFINITLY had a rubber section to isolate the outer section. I'm assuming that is the dampener.

K
Yes, it sure is. And its probably tuned to the specific known frequency(s) of a stock VQ.

And with Richies engine being as modified as it is, who knows what the new frequencies are now. Richie is much better off with the fluid damper because it will damp a broad range of frequencies. It should blanket everything that comes out of the crank.
Old 02-28-2006, 05:07 PM
Z350Lover

Thanks Tony....

I would say... it is better safe than sorry in this case... losing 1 or 2 rwHP to prevent engine blowing up is really worth it and is also for a piece of mind revving up to 8000rpm everyday...

cheers,

richie
Old 03-31-2006, 01:59 AM
Z350Lover

I posted these videos in another thread, thought I would continue it here as well....

(Right click and save....)

Starting up
http://www.sil-chem.com/rlchen/startup.MPG

Idle Exhaust Sound
http://www.sil-chem.com/rlchen/idle.MPG

Revving up 1 (In the car with tacho meter at the front)
http://www.sil-chem.com/rlchen/revup1.MPG

cheers,

richie

Last edited by Z350Lover; 03-31-2006 at 05:31 AM.
Old 03-31-2006, 02:04 AM
Rickdogg
Out of hiatus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That sounds nice and clean. Your engine is just so buttery smooth sounding. Talk about blueprinted!
Old 03-31-2006, 02:33 AM
fairladyZ in Japan

Sounds great !!

If you ever get a chance, a video of your running up and down a deserted road under acceleration would be great.
Old 03-31-2006, 02:46 AM
JDMFairlady21

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes please let us hear it full throttle man. sweet setup on the engine.
Old 03-31-2006, 03:08 AM
Sk8fe

Originally Posted by fairladyZ in Japan
Sounds great !!

If you ever get a chance, a video of your running up and down a deserted road under acceleration would be great.
Sweet!...

+1 for the vid of the NISMO instrument cluster running up through the gears taking each one to 8 grand on a deserted road!

Old 03-31-2006, 03:15 AM
Z350Lover

Hahaha... I want to do that too... but there is no deserted roads here for me to do that though... heaps of cops around Melbourne nowadays giving out defective notes... and also I don't really know how to film it while I am driving

I will see what I can do and if I have new videos, will surely post them up here!

cheers,

richie
Old 03-31-2006, 06:15 AM
Sk8fe

Chest-cam! LOL!

"defective notes" -- is that the same as a ticket?! Here in the states, if a cop pulls you over for speeding they give you a "ticket" with a fine and possibly "points" against your license which have additional monetary implications with your insurance. If you are caught going 30mph or more over the posted speed limit, expect a ride in the back of his car and maybe your license being cut in two on the spot. A tow truck will come for you car later at your expense. Well, that is what I am told, I hope to never find out!
Old 03-31-2006, 03:00 PM
Z350Lover

we have the point system as well... and each state has different laws... we have 12 points each and you can only recover the points that you lose exactly 3 years later.... that means within 3 years, you only get to play with 12 points in Victoria States... and each speeding ticket will get you 3 points!

The defective notes are for the "modification cars" that are not complied to ADR (Australia Design Rules) or going againsts EPA (Enviornment Protection Association) rules... so we will need to take notes of everything.... even with my recaro seat swapped out, I gotta have an engineer certificate to go with those, you don't want to be pulled over and got a defective note here man! It is not likely for my car to get a defective note since I never lower my car too low (100mm clearance) and also the exhaust isn't as LOUD (90dB)... but some cops never know about those mods and they don't have proper testing tools when you get pull over...

cheers,

richie
Old 03-31-2006, 03:19 PM
Sk8fe

Well in that case, we get the infamous "Fix-it" ticket. You usually have one week to get the violation fixed and you have to go to the Police station to prove you got it fixed. Or at least that is what my friends had to do as they push/test the "limit" more than I.
Old 03-31-2006, 09:40 PM
fairladyZ in Japan

You guys in the US don't know how lucky you have it getting tickets.

Look at Richies's experience above in OZ.

In Japan .. I just got #%#%#$ caught going a blistering 53 mph in a 32 mph on a 4-lane highway. Perception of speed here is just unf"ing believable. As you can see .. I am pi$$ed at my own stupidy for having missed this speed trap and the "%#$% stupid laws here.

Result of this violation:

1/ about a $700 fine
2/ 1 day in traffic school .. ZZZZZzzzzz on a weekday .. 1 vacation day gone !!
3/ about 6 points off the total of 10 .. I have to drive grandma style in risky areas for 1 year. If I go over the 10 point limit -- license is removed for 1 year .. then driving re-test .. then new license. El K ***#$% blows.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Old 04-01-2006, 05:44 AM
Hydrazine
MOTORDYNE-MY350Z SPONSOR

Whoa! That is bad....

LOL! Doing 53 in a 32 is exactly the kind of thing I would naturally do.

Even then. I still don't feel lucky when I get a ticket.

Last edited by Hydrazine; 04-01-2006 at 05:51 AM.
Old 04-03-2006, 03:56 AM
mchapman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fairladyZ in Japan
You guys in the US don't know how lucky you have it getting tickets.

Look at Richies's experience above in OZ.

In Japan .. I just got #%#%#$ caught going a blistering 53 mph in a 32 mph on a 4-lane highway. Perception of speed here is just unf"ing believable. As you can see .. I am pi$$ed at my own stupidy for having missed this speed trap and the "%#$% stupid laws here.

Result of this violation:

1/ about a $700 fine
2/ 1 day in traffic school .. ZZZZZzzzzz on a weekday .. 1 vacation day gone !!
3/ about 6 points off the total of 10 .. I have to drive grandma style in risky areas for 1 year. If I go over the 10 point limit -- license is removed for 1 year .. then driving re-test .. then new license. El K ***#$% blows.

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Ouch!

Quick Reply: Photos on engine rebuild (N/A)