Notices
NA Builds Specifically for naturally aspirated builds & projects with Cams, Pistons Rods, Heads, Valves, etc

NA Build Inside....Soup to Nuts :)

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2008, 11:56 AM
NA350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice Adam, nice.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:07 PM
BlackTuner

Did someone say NA Shootout????
Old 09-17-2008, 12:29 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm down when you are ^
Old 09-17-2008, 12:45 PM
aggietsi

So, any tricks left up your sleeve? This is one of my favorite threads. I'd love to see you pull some more (reliable) power out of her.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:20 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by aggietsi
So, any tricks left up your sleeve? This is one of my favorite threads. I'd love to see you pull some more (reliable) power out of her.
yep, got a couple irons in the fire - hopefully it works out!
Old 09-17-2008, 03:12 PM
rednezz

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
The first page shows 303.9 whp on a dyno dynamics, which was done last July (2007) when the motor was new (about 900 miles on it) - was about 90 degrees out that day IIRC - it was really humid too, but the car ran great

The 320 whp was done at Turbo XS in May of '08 (engine had about 7000 miles on it then, so was fully broken in) - was around 80 degrees that day. Their Dynapack is set up to directly mimic Altered Atmosphere's Dynojet which is right down the block - I would have gone to AMM too sine I know everyone loves to see a Dynojet chart, but I got to TXS late and by the time we got done, it was around 7 pm, and AAM was closed (and I had to get a hotel and was famished!). But if Jermaine tells me it reads identically to AAM, I trust him - his word is gospel to me I never got the chart posted because I never got a copy of it...there was another G35 owner there that day, and after BS'ing with everyone, trying to get a hotel room that night, dinner, etc. etc, I forgot to get the printout. Next time though we do some tuning I'll def. post the chart - hopefully we can get further gains !

All tuning was done on normal pump gas to date - at some point in the future I may do a full out race gas tune, we'll see. I'm also looking , forward to a nice cool fall day as well, since the car loves that weather. If all goes well, it will coincide well with my other plans
Was the 303 on the dyno dynamics with a dynojet correction?
Old 09-17-2008, 03:50 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Uncorrected as I recall, but it's going back over a year now. All I can ever hope for when we do further tuning is do I get a gain from the base line run of that day to the last run of the day. If we show a gain, I'm happy . If not, then I got to ingest fumes for the day and bs with friends - all in all, a good day Next time I'm down there tuning (should be pretty soon if everything goes according to plan), I'll see if we can get to AAM for a quick run on their dyno too.

I know from my base run at Turbo XS to when I left (this was back in May), we got another 10 whp or so - car was richer than needed up top, and I remember thats where Jermaine spent most of his time playing with things
Old 09-17-2008, 05:24 PM
deckdout2

Pretty sick Adam. Hate that I missed seeing you and your Z in person when you came down to North Kakalaky. I'm in the mist of my build as well. It's an 03 Maxima so it's boring but whatever. Looking at your valvesprings, you chose to go with the Nismo set. Did you ever consider using HR valvesprings? Hoping with my build to hit over 300 as well. The block is very similar, so I know the gains could be had especially going the whole "9" as well. Also curious if you changed your oil pump to the rev up? I don't think I caught that post after spending the past 2 weeks reading this thread every-so-often. Maybe next time I can get the opportunity to dissect your ride in person and congratulate you.

Last edited by deckdout2; 09-17-2008 at 05:31 PM.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:38 PM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

^ HR wasn't out when the heads were worked on and hes still using the regular ole' '04 DE oil pump.
Old 09-17-2008, 05:48 PM
deckdout2

Originally Posted by Kwame@z1
^ HR wasn't out when the heads were worked on and hes still using the regular ole' '04 DE oil pump.
Ahh, gotcha. On the oil pump, I just want to make sure my build would be able to withstand the high revs 8k+, and as you've stated it looks like it will be fine.

On a note, would you guys go with the HR springs now that they are out given you had another chance to do the build?

As a matter of fact, would you do anything different now vs when you started since there has been plenty of seat time?

In for the additional mods that is kept in the wraps......
Old 09-17-2008, 07:05 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Kwame@z1
I have a revup pump actually
Old 09-17-2008, 07:09 PM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Oh snaps, I stand corrected. My bad!
Old 09-17-2008, 07:15 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by deckdout2
Pretty sick Adam. Hate that I missed seeing you and your Z in person when you came down to North Kakalaky. I'm in the mist of my build as well. It's an 03 Maxima so it's boring but whatever. Looking at your valvesprings, you chose to go with the Nismo set. Did you ever consider using HR valvesprings? Hoping with my build to hit over 300 as well. The block is very similar, so I know the gains could be had especially going the whole "9" as well. Also curious if you changed your oil pump to the rev up? I don't think I caught that post after spending the past 2 weeks reading this thread every-so-often. Maybe next time I can get the opportunity to dissect your ride in person and congratulate you.
thanks - yeah Z Days was a blast - def. make it out next year I know I will!

As Kwame said, there was no such thing as an HR, or even a Revup when I built the heads originally. My first plan was to do the headwork and swap them onto my original block. I had all that stuff done, cams selected, all the work completed, and due to lack of time, the built heads just sat at the shop for a couple years. In that time, new cams came out, revup motors, etc. But, I already had done the work and spent the $ so I used what I had. I'm still glad I did, because I don't think I've maxed it all out just yet

Then this other motor became available, due to a customers unfortunate accident at Z Days a couple years ago, and as a result, I built the bottom end too. I've read about the HR springs, but don't really know much about them - I've never seen any solid info on their specs.

What would I do differently? Honestly nothing at this point...at least not yet. To date, the car has brought me everything I wanted, and I've been incredibly happy with it. I absolutely love driving it, and it does everything I was hoping it would. As mentioned, there are far more aggressive cams out (at least on paper), but without having them in front of us to make a real cam card, it's all speculation as to what it might net me. But, I've learned never to say never, so who knows where I'll end up down the road. Hopefully these next few things we have going on will prove successful - then I can rest for a bit more, and enjoy the fruits of the labor. Of course, modding for me is always an evolutionary process, and if I can convince myself that there is a better mousetrap, I'm not opposed to trying it out

All in all though, I've really, really enjoyed this project, and for me to say that 5 years later, I'm still in love with the car, means alot. However, lately a new girl has been catching my attention - but this isn't the right time to jump headfirst into an unknown project - perhaps in the future though....

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 09-17-2008 at 07:22 PM.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:18 PM
blasian

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's crazy seeing the Z that you've envied since joining the community for the first time in person

I can haz ride next year I hope
Old 09-17-2008, 07:24 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

deal Next year hopefully you, me, Kwame, Chris, Jason can get some good runs in - would be nice to have everyones car behaving at once !
Old 09-17-2008, 07:29 PM
deckdout2

Spoken like a true enthusiast! lol I like your outlook on things, and with all considered I understand where you're coming from at the time, with what you had to work with. Maybe going along the same lines with minor differences here and there I could net more power, maybe not. Either way this is a nicely woven path for us all to follow. Thanks for your efforts and pulling me back from the dark side, (considered FI).

I'll await patiently for your future endeavors in this world of NA.
Old 09-17-2008, 07:30 PM
blasian

deal Next year hopefully you, me, Kwame, Chris, Jason can get some good runs in - would be nice to have everyones car behaving at once !
Hell yeah, I can't wait.

I'll be sure to make sure davids is behind everybody this time with the camera
Old 09-17-2008, 07:54 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by deckdout2
Spoken like a true enthusiast! lol I like your outlook on things, and with all considered I understand where you're coming from at the time, with what you had to work with. Maybe going along the same lines with minor differences here and there I could net more power, maybe not. Either way this is a nicely woven path for us all to follow. Thanks for your efforts and pulling me back from the dark side, (considered FI).

I'll await patiently for your future endeavors in this world of NA.
thanks again ! Hopefully you won't be waiting too much longer either - I am really looking forward to the next round of stuff. We'll see if I went too far, or if we thread the needle !
Old 09-17-2008, 07:57 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by blasian
Hell yeah, I can't wait.

I'll be sure to make sure davids is behind everybody this time with the camera
nice though I keep thinking that this "other" car I am now infatuated with would/could be even more fun...but it doesn't start with a Z
Old 09-17-2008, 07:59 PM
blasian

nice though I keep thinking that this "other" car I am now infatuated with would/could be even more fun...but it doesn't start with a Z

Kwame showed me the 240Z... that thing is badass

Quick Reply: NA Build Inside....Soup to Nuts :)