Notices
NA Builds Specifically for naturally aspirated builds & projects with Cams, Pistons Rods, Heads, Valves, etc

New NA Build for my G35 Coupe!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 12:27 PM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation New NA Build for my G35 Coupe!

Most of you know I've been wanting to build a good normally aspirated (NA) engine for quite some time. I have been talking to Jeremy at the Performance Factory for over a year, and finally things worked out... It was completed yesterday!

I was fortunate to find an '06 revup engine with the dreaded oil consumption disease that was for sale. I bought it and took it over to Jeremy's shop so he could work on the engine while I still drove my G35 Coupe. That worked out well and things got rolling. I took my car over a little later and Jeremy swapped the new engine in, along with a new flywheel and clutch, and got everything running.

I wanted to use good parts for my engine. Some of you might think that some of the fasteners and gaskets are overkill for an NA engine. You might be right, but I wanted to build it with these parts. There is also a possibility that I might throw a bottle of Nitrous in the trunk some day... and I wanted to know that everything would be safe if I did.

As far as I know, this is one of the first NA RevUp motors built to make power at high RPM. It presented a few extra problems along the way. Fortunately, I have been a beta tester for UpRev's Osiris Tuner package and it (along with Jared's help) solved a few extra problems.

Here's a list of the new parts that went into this build. I really have to thank Jeremy at the Performance Factory for his help with this project. In a lot of ways, this engine is an extension on his original NA motor, but with a few modernizations and updates. His advice was just as important as his building and tuning skills

Engine Management System
Osiris Tuner Pro v2.0 (UpRev) - Rev Limit, Speed Limit, Reprogram Throttle Body, Tune, 5 Maps
Haltech Platinum PnP EMS Standalone for Air/Fuel Ratio, Ignition and Cam Timing
KPtechnologies VDC Memory Management Module
AutoMeter Nexus Water Temperature, Oil Pressure, and Air/Fuel Gauges

Engine
JE 11.7 CR +0.020 Pistons
Eagle Rods
ARP 2000 220,000 PSI Rated Rod Bolts
Calico Coated ACL Bearings
ARP Main Studs
ARP L19 Head Studs
HKS Head Gaskets
JWT C8R Camshafts
JWT Valve Springs and Shims
Deatschwerks 500cc Injectors
Cylinder Heads Ported with 5 Angle Valve Job
Nismo Oil Filler Cap

Intake and Exhaust
350Z Intake (Z-Tube)
K&N Hi-Flow Air Filter
CrawfordZ Polished Upper Plenum
CrawfordZ Headers with Jet-Hot 1300 Degree Coating
CrawfordZ High Flow Cats
HKS Hi-Power Ti Exhaust

Driveline
ACT Lightweight Flywheel
JWT Clutch
Carbonetics CF Limited Slip Differential
Nismo 4.083 Final Drive
Nismo Finned Differential Cover
Braided Stainless Steel Clutch Line

I know everyone wants to see the dyno chart, so here it is. After the dyno break-in my G35 made 312 rwhp on the Performance Factory's DynoJet. Good numbers for a completely new NA engine. Jeremy also took the time to go for a ride with me and do a little street tuning to make sure everything was tuned to perfection. Next time Jeremy says hold it in gear to 8,000 I'll probably look up for cars first... That was a lot of fun!

Here's where I found my Engine... Under Joe's workbench... mine is the one on the left... a perfect 222222 waiting for someone to come along and pick him up... It's a 2006 RevUp with less than 5,000 miles on it... Very nice motor... Thanks, Joe!

Here's a shot of Joe and Christian helping me load in onto the back of a truck... Hey, I helped... I had to stop and take a picture, though...

Here you can see that my engine made it to the Performance factory... Jeremy, "The Captain" didn't think I was really going to take this picture...

Here's a shot of my parts as they are close to being assembled.

Couple of shots of my JE Pistons. They were custom made by JE to Jeremy's specs for the best combination of power and their ability to run on 93 octane gasoline.

Main Studs...

Short block assembled...

Cylinder head...

Heads assembled with cams...

Here's a shot of my engine bay after everything was done. All that work and new parts and it doesn't really show... it's good news, actually... You wouldn't ever know anything had been changed.

I've always wanted better gauges. Oil pressure and water temperature gauges are pure necessities to me... and I wanted an air/fuel gauge so I could easily tell if anything changed in the A/F area. I finally decided on an A-Pillar gauge set because there really isn't a better place to put gauges in a G35. I'm happy that I got it because the gauges are very easy to read and they line up with the A-Pillar perfectly so they don't restrict my vision.

To say that my car is fun to drive is the understatement of the century! The new engine revs freely to 8,000 and just loves the 4.08 rear gears. It pulls much, much, much harder than it ever did before. It is a blast to drive now. I realize NA engines are not for everyone, but it's exactly what I was looking for!

This is really just the start of this project... there are a few more things to try... hoping to get one or two of them done before Jeremy relocates, but I may have to make the trip up to NC some day. Thanks, Jeremy! I really, really appreciate all your time and hard work!

Last edited by __jb; 11-01-2008 at 03:51 PM.
Old 11-01-2008, 08:27 PM
NiZMo1o1

sweet !
Old 11-01-2008, 08:39 PM
SlideFox

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Are these the final numbers??

Congrats!
Old 11-01-2008, 08:50 PM
r0csfinest

congrats. can you tell me how much it was to do all this... thru PM if you want
Old 11-01-2008, 08:52 PM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Congrats
Old 11-01-2008, 11:31 PM
Frostydc4

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Congrats!

Did you take it 8k on the dynosheet?
Old 11-01-2008, 11:43 PM
blackz123

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

congrats!
Old 11-02-2008, 07:23 AM
Black KNight

congrats
Old 11-02-2008, 08:20 AM
mw9

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I see you left the stock air box on, any reason? I was thinking of going back to mine. Is all 3 gauges autometer, if so what kind. I think they would much with the factory dash
Old 11-02-2008, 08:23 AM
rednezz

Awesome job!!!!! What was your final compression?
Your motor with out a doubt will be the strongest NA motor here once it is completely broke in. Once you get more mileage I'm sure you will pick up some more hp. Great work!!!!!
Old 11-02-2008, 11:25 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

good stuff! I know it's fun, enjoy it!!!
Old 11-02-2008, 12:05 PM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Originally Posted by Frostydc4
Congrats!

Did you take it 8k on the dynosheet?
Thanks...

I remember Jeremy saying that that particular dyno chart started at about 3000 rpm and peak power was around 7500 rpm. He revved it to 8000 most of the time, but I'm not absolutely sure about that particular sheet.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:09 PM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Originally Posted by mw9
I see you left the stock air box on, any reason? I was thinking of going back to mine. Is all 3 gauges autometer, if so what kind. I think they would much with the factory dash
When Jeremy built his NA motor he tested lots of intakes... None made more power than the stock air box... that was good enough for me... thinking about making one change in the intake system, though.

All three gauges are AutoMeter... water temp, oil pressure, and Air/Fuel...
Old 11-02-2008, 12:17 PM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Originally Posted by rednezz
Awesome job!!!!! What was your final compression?
Your motor with out a doubt will be the strongest NA motor here once it is completely broke in. Once you get more mileage I'm sure you will pick up some more hp. Great work!!!!!
It was designed to have 11.7. I don't know if it was ever actually calculated manually during the build.

I think these NA built motors are the biggest secret on the forums... I know you're loving yours, too... Thanks for posting your threads... lots of good information...
Old 11-02-2008, 12:24 PM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
good stuff! I know it's fun, enjoy it!!!
You're right, Adam... I am just loving driving it...

Thanks also for your big NA thread... I read through it more times that you can imagine...
Old 11-02-2008, 12:38 PM
coachk
Banned

jb, congrats on getting your car done and now its time to enjoy it. What do you think about the cams? PM me if you want
Old 11-02-2008, 05:30 PM
Chef-J
Booooosstt!!

Hey where is more pic?! Congrat!!! damm hopefully economic gets better so i can start play with my engine.
Old 11-02-2008, 05:53 PM
rednezz

jb, I just realized you went with 500cc injectors. Were you reaching 100% with the stock injectors? Also, comparing your power band to mine I have some dips between 1500 rpm and 3000 rpm then it smooths out and your power band seems to come on pretty smooth all the way to your peak. I remember Jeremy had similiar dips in his power band to mine as well. Do you think the haltech is the reason your power band comes on so smooth? As far as your VTC angles, did you have to advance the cams to their maximum between idle and 5500 rpm or does the stock advance work with these cams? Thanks for your input and sharing the details on your build!!!
Old 11-03-2008, 04:35 AM
idrive_MD

thats all very impressive, we need videos now!!
Old 11-03-2008, 04:56 AM
deckdout2

Nice! It'll be nice to have Jeremy up here as well once the move takes place.

Quick Reply: New NA Build for my G35 Coupe!