Notices
NA Builds Specifically for naturally aspirated builds & projects with Cams, Pistons Rods, Heads, Valves, etc

DIY total N/A backyard build

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 06:51 PM
orlandocou

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds sick!!!!!!! what exhaust is that?
Old 01-29-2009, 06:48 AM
NA&CH
General & Tech Senior Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

Congrats man. cant wait to see what she does on the dyno and at a track. Good work.

Chris
Old 01-29-2009, 08:35 PM
mthreat

sweet! I love the jesus thing on top of the engine!

Tomorrow is the big day for me... should be able to start my engine around 11am or noon.
Old 01-29-2009, 10:33 PM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Originally Posted by 1cockyZ
For anyone watching this thread. The car is now running. It started at the stroke of midnight. Although it did start before that but I shut it off as soon I heard it kick over. I was trying to prime the oil pump and pulled the wrong fuse and it started instead. I turned it off immediately. I assembled the engine with so much oil that none of the surfaces were dry. But anyway with the correct fuse out primed it up. Put the fuse back in and it started right up. No noise or leaks, but it only ran for a minute. Its 12am and I didn't want to **** off the neighbors. I will get up in the morning and go through the warm up cycle and then change the oil, so the car can sit in the garage cause its snowing. But pics and video tomorrow. 800 miles until dyno tune.
Glad to hear that you got her running... that's quite an accomplishment...

Congratulations!
Old 01-31-2009, 12:17 AM
mthreat

Did you have air pockets in your coolant? Any tricks to get them out, other than the usual service manual procedure?
Old 01-31-2009, 04:45 AM
1cockyZ

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had air pockets. The whole heat when you are driving but no heat at stop signs or lights. I just keep adding fluid. To get it mostly full I filled it with the front end jacked up and the vent plug out and squeeze the hoses until the bubbles stop. I think I got them all out now. This thing needs a reflash bad and idle bump. Stalls a lot at lights and stop signs. But 80miles and no noises or leaks.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:28 AM
deckdout2

What goals are you trying to attain powerwise on the dyno with your setup? Sick build brotha!
Old 02-09-2009, 08:13 PM
1cockyZ

Update for the curious. 600 trouble free miles. Saturday put it up on my friends lift(he has one in his garage; lucky guy) no leaks of any kind or noises to worry about. Its sad I built my first engine and I am just waiting for it to grenade even though everyone who has heard it running( a lot of them certified techs) said it sounds fine. As for power goals. I went to order a 3" maf from z1 today and they are out stock, so either I get creative and build my own or wait the unknown amount of time until they get more. I was going to make an appointment at rt tuning for a dyno tuned uprev flash after I ordered the maf. I think I might drive out there anyway to do a couple pulls just for fun. Car feels good but everyone loves the dyno numbers.
Old 02-09-2009, 11:02 PM
mthreat

Update for the curious. 600 trouble free miles. Saturday put it up on my friends lift(he has one in his garage; lucky guy) no leaks of any kind or noises to worry about. Its sad I built my first engine and I am just waiting for it to grenade even though everyone who has heard it running( a lot of them certified techs) said it sounds fine.
600 miles already, you must be having fun! I'm up to about 440 miles on mine... I'm planning to get it tuned at Uprev once I'm up to 1000 miles or so.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:50 AM
1cockyZ

Its no fun at all. I am seriously so paranoid its going to grenade. I have serious self esteem issues. I am driving on eggshells. I need to do the jwt idle stabilization mod, the stalling makes it a pita to drive. But the couple of times between 500-now miles I took it to redline at wot...what a blast. For some reason at 1000 miles I think all the paranoia will go away.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:53 PM
mthreat

Its no fun at all. I am seriously so paranoid its going to grenade. I have serious self esteem issues. I am driving on eggshells. I need to do the jwt idle stabilization mod, the stalling makes it a pita to drive. But the couple of times between 500-now miles I took it to redline at wot...what a blast. For some reason at 1000 miles I think all the paranoia will go away.
When you changed your oil, did you look closely at the oil that you drained? Some people smear it on a piece of paper or run it through a coffee filter and look closely for metal particles (put it under the sun or something). Also when you take the oil filter off, keep the oil in it and put your finger in and try to scrape a sample to make sure there isn't a bunch of metal inside. I did this on my oil change and according to others (more experienced than me) it looked clean. Once I have more miles I'll probably have the oil analyzed by that terry dyson guy (I think he recommends 3750 miles or so).

Also monitor your oil level... low or no oil burning is good, although I've heard it's normal to burn a bit of oil on a brand new engine until the rings seal completely.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:44 PM
1cockyZ

670 miles and it has used almost no oil. I looked at my oil under a spot light and then stuck a powerful magnet in it to see if anything stuck. I made my appointment for next thursday the 19th for dyno tune. I talked to rich at uprev for the better part of 40 minutes yesterday and he talked me out of a larger maf housing. I really need to get a catch can cause with the test pipes after I do a wot run and come to a stop it stinks, car doesn't smoke one bit and hasn't used any oil so I have a theory its just the airated oil in the manifold. So next thursday nite dyno results and by the middle of march 1/4 mile times for anyone thats curious. Tomorrow I am putting on my new rims and tires I got myself for my birthday. Enkie rpf1's 18x9 and 18x10. I'll post a pic. Mthreat if your name is chris then rich at uprev says you are crazy fast.
Old 02-11-2009, 09:06 PM
mthreat

670 miles and it has used almost no oil. I looked at my oil under a spot light and then stuck a powerful magnet in it to see if anything stuck. I made my appointment for next thursday the 19th for dyno tune. I talked to rich at uprev for the better part of 40 minutes yesterday and he talked me out of a larger maf housing. I really need to get a catch can cause with the test pipes after I do a wot run and come to a stop it stinks, car doesn't smoke one bit and hasn't used any oil so I have a theory its just the airated oil in the manifold. So next thursday nite dyno results and by the middle of march 1/4 mile times for anyone thats curious. Tomorrow I am putting on my new rims and tires I got myself for my birthday. Enkie rpf1's 18x9 and 18x10. I'll post a pic. Mthreat if your name is chris then rich at uprev says you are crazy fast.
The oil situation sounds great. I'm watching my oil level but the dipstick in the VQ35DE is so bad I can't get a very precise measurement.

Yep I'm chris... tell rich he needs to actually ride with me at the track to see if I'm fast or not
Old 02-12-2009, 07:13 AM
1cockyZ

+1 on the dipstick sucking ***
Old 02-20-2009, 11:08 AM
66z

Hi 1cockZ can i do this setup for AT 350z?
i mean reaching 8000 rpm?
Old 02-20-2009, 01:18 PM
ppwpz33

I would love to hear your car on the track. I think if I try hard enough I can imagine that high revving VQ roaring round and round! lol

Good luck!
Old 02-22-2009, 06:02 PM
DanielW
Banned

should've went with crawford headers since you were going all out
Old 02-22-2009, 08:33 PM
1cockyZ

should've went with crawford headers since you were going all out
Show me where the DC's on the car are coming up short, this is the problem with everyone and there just amazing knowledge of this engine and making N/A power. I have unported heads, stock maf, 264cams(not 272's) and this dyno reads a stock de at 233rwhp. The price differential between the dc's which are made very well and stainless and the crawfords is $700. It cost me that much to tune, when you do your build and are spending your money let me know how it all it works out for you. How big and how much longer are the crawford primaries being you're so well informed. Then go on youtube and check out the headers cosworth used to do cam testing.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:16 PM
SponGer

Great work and write-up. What kind of wrap is that on your intake tube?
Old 02-22-2009, 09:28 PM
1cockyZ

Its a samco intake tube. Silicone super thick. I am sure someone else will tell you its junk and you need the arc intake pipe.

Quick Reply: DIY total N/A backyard build