Notices
NA Builds Specifically for naturally aspirated builds & projects with Cams, Pistons Rods, Heads, Valves, etc

LS2 350Z begins..

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 08:58 AM
SonicfireZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a pretty sweet setup! Cant wait to see more pics, is there plenty of room for the headers coming off of the ls2? Any idea of what kind of exhuast you are going to be running?
Old 03-31-2009, 02:50 PM
SnyperZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Twin disk:
Name:  IMG_0465.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  76.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0468.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  85.7 KB

so close..
Name:  IMG_0531.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  105.2 KB
Old 03-31-2009, 03:55 PM
aarantes

The engine bay looks like it has so much more room now! Can't wait to see it finished and good work so far!!

EDIT Put no instead of so...

Last edited by aarantes; 03-31-2009 at 04:56 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:45 PM
SnyperZ

I need to clean the **** out of the car.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:57 PM
Done Deal DR

This is sweet...subscribed!
Old 04-01-2009, 05:31 PM
SnyperZ

I bought that shifter today.DAMNIT it was expensive..but its the most bad-*** shifter you can get for that transmission and it has shift stops to prevent bending the shift forks.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:59 PM
Resolute

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice build. I think you'll have to drop more than just "a few pounds" to reach your target weight. I like the LS engine series, but on the same scale with manifolds and flywheels attached, no accessories, the LS6 weighed 127 pounds more than the VQ35DE. Ouch.

I think the appeal for a more reliable package than a VQ TT for high power levels is strong, and I fully expect to see more of these swaps in the future. A relatively lightly modified LS2 with tune has put out just over 500 hp on several engine dyno'd builds by Hot Rod, Chevy High Performance, etc... It's a tempting swap.

Will
Old 04-04-2009, 02:44 PM
SnyperZ

Whatever weight is gained will be made up in hp/tq
Old 04-04-2009, 03:26 PM
350z2go

^^ hahaa+1
Old 04-06-2009, 11:51 AM
GenPac

Originally Posted by Resolute
Nice build. I think you'll have to drop more than just "a few pounds" to reach your target weight. I like the LS engine series, but on the same scale with manifolds and flywheels attached, no accessories, the LS6 weighed 127 pounds more than the VQ35DE. Ouch.
Was this figure including the TT/Piping/manifolds/IC ect? I see you mentioned manifolds and flywheels but no accessories... His LS won't be encumbered by snails and all the accompanied hardware once things are together to reach the 500+ HP number. Just looking for a 1 for 1 comparison... weight for VQ35DETT vs. N/A LS2 - at similar power levels.
Old 04-06-2009, 04:38 PM
SnyperZ

Originally Posted by GenPac
Was this figure including the TT/Piping/manifolds/IC ect? I see you mentioned manifolds and flywheels but no accessories... His LS won't be encumbered by snails and all the accompanied hardware once things are together to reach the 500+ HP number. Just looking for a 1 for 1 comparison... weight for VQ35DETT vs. N/A LS2 - at similar power levels.
I wasn't going to get into that argument. Alls I know is my car will be MUCH lighter than a 350z making similar numbers. When I added all the weight with the turbo setup I didn't even notice a difference...not to mention this one has No AC(I had it for a year and never turned it on once..no need for it)
Old 04-06-2009, 10:21 PM
Resolute

??? The weight difference was as I stated it- stock for stock. Was his curb weight stated with consideration to any additional weight from a TT system?

Originally Posted by SnyperZ
My cars curb weight is 3188 and ill be removing a few lbs trying to get the car down to 3100 with the LS2 in(no a/c).
My comment was not in reference to the lightest way to achieve his power goal, rather; in reference to his desire to "drop a few pounds" in order to reach 3100. Simply put, removing 88 pounds from his curb weight isn't going to be so easy with an additional 127 pounds being added over the front end.

Whether or not it will be lighter than a FI set-up on the Z is another argument. I imagine he already weighed out the pros and cons of the swap versus FI on his VQ before pulling the trigger on this project. Either way, someone was bound to ask him to weigh the two engines (there are those who think an LS is lighter than the VQ), and now the information is in a thread where people would search for it.

Will
Old 04-07-2009, 03:55 PM
GenPac

Originally Posted by Resolute
??? The weight difference was as I stated it- stock for stock. Was his curb weight stated with consideration to any additional weight from a TT system?

My comment was not in reference to the lightest way to achieve his power goal, rather; in reference to his desire to "drop a few pounds" in order to reach 3100. Simply put, removing 88 pounds from his curb weight isn't going to be so easy with an additional 127 pounds being added over the front end.

Whether or not it will be lighter than a FI set-up on the Z is another argument. I imagine he already weighed out the pros and cons of the swap versus FI on his VQ before pulling the trigger on this project. Either way, someone was bound to ask him to weigh the two engines (there are those who think an LS is lighter than the VQ), and now the information is in a thread where people would search for it.

Will
Understood, Will. I was wondering if someone had already figured the weight of a VQ35 with twins and supporting hardware of weight significance. Then, with that figure, compare a LS2 modded for similar power output. I'm sure SnyperZ, as you said, had weighed (no pun intended) the issues.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:32 PM
Resolute

I'm sure SnyperZ, as you said, had weighed (no pun intended) the issues.
LOL, the pun was deliberate when I posted it. I also would love to know how the weight compares to the various FI options for the VQ. Unfortunately, I have not found any one who has weighed all the components of a kit before installing it. I asked GTM what the HKS SC kit weighed, thinking it might be the lightest of the options, but they never posted it. I checked out a Greddy kit in person once, and figured that it might be the heaviest of them all with the cast iron manifolds. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the TT kits like the Greddy weight around 100lbs or more with all the ancillary components included.

On a similar note, I wonder how the tranny weights compare?

Will
Old 04-08-2009, 06:36 AM
SnyperZ

gettin ready to run the fuel lines...

Name:  rails.jpg
Views: 397
Size:  41.2 KB
Old 04-08-2009, 06:38 AM
Jay'Z
Banned

Awesome!
Old 04-08-2009, 08:22 AM
SnyperZ

Thanks. On a side note..I find it amusing how when you deal some big named shops and you dont spend much how little respect you get from them. They could care less about you unless your spending thousands..hrmmmm anyways. I should have my fpr friday or monday..im not sure if I want to mount it in the engine bay or in the batt. bay.
Old 04-08-2009, 09:51 AM
Resolute

Looking REALLY good!

Will (votes for mounting the FPR in the battery bay for a cleaner look)
Old 04-08-2009, 10:09 AM
SnyperZ

Yeah thats what im going to do. Im happy I can reuse that rubber fitting..it makes it look much neater plus protects the hose. Basically thats what it will look like when im done with the addition of 2 90* fittings off each end.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:20 AM
Jay'Z
Banned

Originally Posted by SnyperZ
Thanks. On a side note..I find it amusing how when you deal some big named shops and you dont spend much how little respect you get from them. They could care less about you unless your spending thousands..hrmmmm anyways.
Wat shop??

Quick Reply: LS2 350Z begins..