Notices
NA Builds Specifically for naturally aspirated builds & projects with Cams, Pistons Rods, Heads, Valves, etc

is 260whp at 4500ft elevation possible with stock exh+hfc?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2010, 11:29 AM
mgrotel

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default is 260whp at 4500ft elevation possible with stock exh+hfc?

or am i dreaming?

is it possible or am i setting the bar too high? would prob do most internals so i could rev to 8000, cams, and maybe a stroker kit if sleeves arent required. thoughts? its on a DEvq, auto trans, g35 coupe
Old 08-02-2010, 01:03 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

why on earth would you build a motor, let alone stroke it, and choke it with a stock exhaust?
Old 08-02-2010, 01:08 PM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

to maintain that retarded cow drowning in syrup exhaust note!
Old 08-02-2010, 01:18 PM
MREDDLE

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
why on earth would you build a motor, let alone stroke it, and choke it with a stock exhaust?
I second this. And I understand that you are using the stock exhaust to control the ehaust note but, this would be like building the motor around the exhaust. This isn't the most productive way to spend time or money.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:25 PM
diablox1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all other opinions aside... to answer your question, i believe it can be done, especially if you're going as far as considering a stroker kit.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:28 PM
mgrotel

ok, fair enough, good points. i just do not like the sound of aftermarket exhausts. to me they sound loud and annoying. i was hoping to hear that the stock exhaust was fairly decent and would only limit the power slightly. is it really that bad? what about 250whp?
Old 08-02-2010, 01:51 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

stop chasing hp #'s - that's the first rule of thumb
Old 08-02-2010, 02:07 PM
Soundslikesight

Cow drowning in syrup.. Hehe... Best description of stock exhaust note I've heard.... If your not fond of loud exhausts you can always buy a setup that isn't........ Loud that is. I've hears plenty of non restrictive exhausts that are easily as quiet as stock. And based on your future mod list money doesn't seem to be a factor so throw some motordyne art pipes on and clean/quiet that exhaust note even more. Tanabe's medallion touring exhaust is fairly quiet. If your going to put that kind of money into internals why leave cheaper and easier to obtain hp on the table? Good luck
Old 08-02-2010, 02:18 PM
mgrotel

stop chasing hp #'s - that's the first rule of thumb
ok, i was just trying to get a realistic goal in mind before i started aimlessly spending money on parts. what do you suggest i set as a goal? 13.5 in the quarter mile?
Old 08-02-2010, 02:28 PM
mgrotel

Originally Posted by Soundslikesight
Cow drowning in syrup.. Hehe... Best description of stock exhaust note I've heard.... If your not fond of loud exhausts you can always buy a setup that isn't........ Loud that is. I've hears plenty of non restrictive exhausts that are easily as quiet as stock. And based on your future mod list money doesn't seem to be a factor so throw some motordyne art pipes on and clean/quiet that exhaust note even more. Tanabe's medallion touring exhaust is fairly quiet. If your going to put that kind of money into internals why leave cheaper and easier to obtain hp on the table? Good luck
the cow drowning in syrup did make me chuckle. but, i guess that is the sound that i like. i mean, if an exhaust that i dont like listening to is worth 50whp, then yea, i would bite the bullet. but if its only going to be worth 15whp, then i have to weigh whether i want to dislike the sound for 15hp or like the sound and only be 15hp down on power. that is what i am trying to find out, how much the aftermarket exhaust is worth.

i dont like the very loud exhausts, but i also dont like the lower pitched exhausts, which is what seems to be the case with aftermarket systems. i guess im just very picky since i seem to be in the minority here. to be honest, i really like the sound with just hfc added, minus that terrible rasp of course.

either way, anyone have any idea on how much an exhaust is worth on a mildly built 11.1:1 high-rev de?

Last edited by mgrotel; 08-02-2010 at 02:31 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:28 PM
Zazz93

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I think what everyone is trying to say is, you're being counter productive with your mod selections. First determine how far you want to go then factor in the amount of livability you're willing to lose (Noise included). At that point you can better judge if what your thinking about is worth trying.

To me, its sounds like you don't want a loud exhaust. However, to do all of that to a motor and then bottleneck all your mods in the exhaust wouldn't make sense.

Last edited by Zazz93; 08-02-2010 at 03:35 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 02:46 PM
mgrotel

^thats a good point.

maybe i should explain how i got to this point. my car is almost at 100,000 miles. because of the high miles, i almost sold it to get something else, but i dont really want a car payment right now so i decided to keep it. like most, i am never satisfied with stock power, so for a while i was spraying nitrous. but, i kept detonating, and no matter what i threw at it, it would not stop detonating. long story short, the motor runs good now, but i dont know how long it will last. since i dont want a payment, i am left with building an engine, or just getting a junk yard replacement when it goes. building one sounds like a lot more fun. i figure since im building, i might as well throw some cams etc at it. dont want boost because i want reliability.
Old 08-02-2010, 04:53 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mgrotel
ok, i was just trying to get a realistic goal in mind before i started aimlessly spending money on parts. what do you suggest i set as a goal? 13.5 in the quarter mile?
13.5 is possible. Where are you now? 13.8. 13.9?
Old 08-02-2010, 05:28 PM
mgrotel

no, i would guess around 14.5 at this elevation
Old 08-02-2010, 05:43 PM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

You must ask if you could nit get the car properly tuned with nitrous who is going to tune it with the new engine?

A z with basic bolt ons properly tuned on drag radials should not have an issue running at or near 13.5 at that elevation.

There are more than a few mild sounding exhausts fwiw

Have you set a budget? Decisions at this level
of mods tend to be dashed or realized by $

Wait, you're trying to achieve a 13.5 and you have no
idea what it runs now ? Talk about cart before horse.

Last edited by Z1 Performance; 08-02-2010 at 05:47 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:52 PM
jg425

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

You might want to look into Motordyne's VQ exhaust. It tries to keep the stock exhaust note while allowing for some performance. There's a video of it somewhere and it sounds really close to stock. 260whp is very realistic but without a full exhaust, you won't be able to hit it. I hit 267whp with just the nismo exhaust, ART pipes, popcharger, and a osiris tune, of course that was at 300ft elevation.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:55 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mgrotel
no, i would guess around 14.5 at this elevation
Well then you have plenty of room for improvement.

Last edited by davidv; 08-02-2010 at 05:57 PM.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:36 PM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

A built, stroked NA build will cost you A LOT! Easily the price of a mid-teens to low twenties new vehicle.
Old 08-02-2010, 06:40 PM
mgrotel

You must ask if you could nit get the car properly tuned with nitrous who is going to tune it with the new engine?

A z with basic bolt ons properly tuned on drag radials should not have an issue running at or near 13.5 at that elevation.

There are more than a few mild sounding exhausts fwiw

Have you set a budget? Decisions at this level
of mods tend to be dashed or realized by $

Wait, you're trying to achieve a 13.5 and you have no
idea what it runs now ? Talk about cart before horse.
haha, i didnt say i was shooting for 13.5, i was asking you if that was a legit goal because you were baggin on the hp numbers. cut me some slack man.

tuning for nitrous is not difficult, something weird was going on with the car, i pulled a lot of timing, monitored a/fs, installed methanol injection, lowered the shot size dramatically, etc. but i have been over that in the proper section already, and to answer your question, with cams i would have it professionally tuned. although i did some tuning without nitrous and definitely got more power by logging a base map, tuning to 13:1, and advancing timing until i saw the slightest knock.

i dont have a z, i have a g which is heavier, its an auto, and i dont have drag radials, so maybe that has something to do with the times, although the transgo valvebody shift kit shifts very very fast. the time i went to the track it was raining so i was in the 16s, spinning through second and then some. i guessed at the 14.5 because that is what others have done in the area. but we are getting quite a ways off topic.

have not set a budget, because im not in a hurry to get it done and i can just build as time permits, but if i had to nail down a specific number, i would say i would be ok with spending about 8000 from start to finish. i already got the block and all accessories for 700.

videos of exhausts never give an accurate representation of what it sounds like in person. its too dependent on the sound system and other things. i guess i will do some more research looking for quieter exhausts. any other exhaust suggestions?

whew, did i miss anything? oh yea, is the stock exhaust going to restrict a mild high-rev build that much?
Old 08-02-2010, 06:42 PM
mgrotel

Originally Posted by jg425
You might want to look into Motordyne's VQ exhaust. It tries to keep the stock exhaust note while allowing for some performance. There's a video of it somewhere and it sounds really close to stock. 260whp is very realistic but without a full exhaust, you won't be able to hit it. I hit 267whp with just the nismo exhaust, ART pipes, popcharger, and a osiris tune, of course that was at 300ft elevation.
thank you sir. i originally came from a much lower elevation than 4500, prob not quite as low as 300 though. the elevation factor made a huge difference, much more than i was expecting

Quick Reply: is 260whp at 4500ft elevation possible with stock exh+hfc?