Notices
NA Builds Specifically for naturally aspirated builds & projects with Cams, Pistons Rods, Heads, Valves, etc

Stage 2 Cams for N/A question

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 04:17 AM
Classy

Received 615 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by James86
i have a question . I have the same c8 jwt cams i had my motor built and it ticks pretty loud .Louder then it did when stock.... does yours tick as such? i brought it up and they say its normal ,but i don't. i think cam timing is off or timing chain tensioners or bad.
Super hard to diagnose this off of this, it is a miracle I even saw this, should have sent this via a PM.

Anyways, I would hook it up and see if the cams are phasing. If not, you have either a VCT solinoid that is gunked up, an oil passage between the VCT solinoid and the VCT gear gunked up, or, your VCT gear is messed up and you need to replace it.

My Driver's side VCT gear was shot after my motor build and ticked like this. I replaced it and no problems, and gained 30hp.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:25 PM
mcarther101

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Classy
Super hard to diagnose this off of this, it is a miracle I even saw this, should have sent this via a PM.

Anyways, I would hook it up and see if the cams are phasing. If not, you have either a VCT solinoid that is gunked up, an oil passage between the VCT solinoid and the VCT gear gunked up, or, your VCT gear is messed up and you need to replace it.

My Driver's side VCT gear was shot after my motor build and ticked like this. I replaced it and no problems, and gained 30hp.
Interesting to see this. I was questioning the same thing, going to SOHO Motorsports in two weeks for a new exhaust, leak down test, and injectors/tuning on the new motor. My motor w/ C8 cams ticks loudly also. I thought maybe I have a small exhaust leak or something. I inspected VCT solenoids, and they're clean, new engine block so I doubt anything is gunked up. I replaced timing chain, and tensioners. Cam gears were fine. May be normal. Not sure why it ticks so loudly. 289whp/269wtq, doubt anything is gunked up.

Last edited by mcarther101; 01-20-2014 at 02:29 PM.
Old 12-27-2015, 10:24 PM
Kedrinho

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
Best bet is just ask some local shops - install costs can vary widely depending on the shops experience level in doing the cams, and their hourly rate. All in, about a 10 hour job

What kind of Pistons you recomend to have on some kelford cams 182/172 on stock 350z?