Notices
NA Builds Specifically for naturally aspirated builds & projects with Cams, Pistons Rods, Heads, Valves, etc

Engine/tranny movement inquiry

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2018, 10:41 PM
Holy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine/tranny movement inquiry

I understand this is a definite higher end modification on the z platform/chassis, but i read something on another forum about the idea. I searched multiple build threads and read a couple others that only mentioned the idea, but to no avail have i found any answers. So, unfortunately with my curiosity piqued i turn to you animals😂.

Has anybody besides a purposed built rally team in europe ever relocated the engine/tranny on their 350 or 370z? Specifically my question involves altering the firewall to push the engine lower and closer to the driver, but any and all builds are welcome for my amusement.

Heres a small picture of the awd, rear engine converted rallied z for you guys.
Old 05-29-2018, 10:42 PM
Holy

Also if you have made the modification and its possible to include, how far did you move it, and how did it affect the weight bias?
Old 05-30-2018, 07:02 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Unless the purpose is to go racing (where such a modification would probably class you out and into a higher class than competitive) OR you needed space (or such) to modify suspension more than "traditional" tweaks like to alter pick up points and such, I highly *doubt* that any benefits from such a mod are worth the time and expense of altering mounts, firewall, shifter or its location, driveshaft, cooling, interior, etc.

But I'd be interested to see someone do it just for the halibut.

If I were planning to do something this radical, I'd rather consider a space frame first; because in the end of doing this to the stock chassis, well, that's the problem, you're still running the stock chassis, hacked up, albeit with slightly better weight distribution than 47/53.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:21 AM
Holy

Oh i completely understand. Youd have to be one dedicated canyon carver to do any of this to a road car. At this extent youre almost better (depending on what class youre shooting for) starting out with a custom tube chassis car and forming the body look like a z 🤗 I just wanted to know if anyone had done it at all, but unfortunately there are more practical cars to start a build off of.
Old 05-30-2018, 11:43 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,283 Likes on 1,645 Posts

The Unitec Playboy Z (then turned into the Fontana Nissan) car had this done. The false firewall was removed and the motor was lowered and moved back. I was looking into it, without dry sump the motor can only go about 1 inch lower. Their motor was moved about 9 inches back.

Notice how the strut bar is over the timing chain

Last edited by terrasmak; 05-30-2018 at 11:45 AM.
The following users liked this post:
rustyschopshop (06-09-2018)
Old 05-30-2018, 12:22 PM
Holy

Wow, see i had looked for info on the Fontana Z but all i could find were a couple of youtube clips. Guess i gotta keep up the search! Have you moved your engine at all then terrasmak?
Old 05-30-2018, 01:37 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

Originally Posted by terrasmak
The Unitec Playboy Z (then turned into the Fontana Nissan) car had this done. The false firewall was removed and the motor was lowered and moved back. I was looking into it, without dry sump the motor can only go about 1 inch lower. Their motor was moved about 9 inches back.

Notice how the strut bar is over the timing chain
Very interesting. Gives new meaning to the "FM chassis" (Front Midship) design that the Z/G and other Nissans are built on.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:47 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by Holy
Wow, see i had looked for info on the Fontana Z but all i could find were a couple of youtube clips. Guess i gotta keep up the search! Have you moved your engine at all then terrasmak?
Nope, and if I did it would only go back about 2 inches. Custom headers, custom Y pipe, new driveshaft and many other parts make it not worth my while.
Old 05-31-2018, 11:15 AM
Holy

Originally Posted by terrasmak
Nope, and if I did it would only go back about 2 inches. Custom headers, custom Y pipe, new driveshaft and many other parts make it not worth my while.

You do seem to have a point there😅 but it also does make me appreciate how much thought and effort actually goes into building an all out race car!

I know that Fontana uses a cosworth 3.8 stroker, rumour had around 400hp. I wonder how someone going an FI route (if they wanted more power) would approach this process, or if the chassis even has room for the extra goodies? But i suppose with enough money, anything goes

Last edited by Holy; 05-31-2018 at 11:16 AM.
Old 05-31-2018, 02:54 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by Holy
You do seem to have a point there😅 but it also does make me appreciate how much thought and effort actually goes into building an all out race car!

I know that Fontana uses a cosworth 3.8 stroker, rumour had around 400hp. I wonder how someone going an FI route (if they wanted more power) would approach this process, or if the chassis even has room for the extra goodies? But i suppose with enough money, anything goes
Closer to 475 at the tires

I don’t think my blower would fit if I moved the motor back
Old 05-31-2018, 03:35 PM
Holy

Hmmm.... makes me wonder if that rally team had it right with the awd/mid engine conversion? Buuut, thats a whole different car at that point. How much do you make to the wheels with the blower and all?