Notices
New Owners Welcome to the Family!

350Z experts help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 01:44 PM
PRS350Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350Z experts help!!!!

I have had my car for a few months now, and I have a couple of issues. Any help or advise would be much appreciated.

1) My engine doesn't feel smooth. It feels rough as the rpms rise. Is that normal?

2) My transmission will not let me shift quickly into second gear. I don't believe its a synchro issue, as it doesn't grind. It simply won't let me shift into second when I am accelerating hard and want to shift very quickly.

3) This is the most annoying of all of them. It seems that my car has this strange vibration when slowing down sometimes. I know there is a vibration to the gearbox and stickshift... but this vibration I am speaking of is not the normal type. It really vibrates through the gearshift very roughly, and I can feel the vibration through the car as well. Most of the time it happens when I am slowing down, through a certain rev range. Its tough for me to explain. Does anyone know what i am talking about?

Once again, any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-11-2007, 01:46 PM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Originally Posted by PRS350Z
I have had my car for a few months now, and I have a couple of issues. Any help or advise would be much appreciated.

1) My engine doesn't feel smooth. It feels rough as the rpms rise. Is that normal?

2) My transmission will not let me shift quickly into second gear. I don't believe its a synchro issue, as it doesn't grind. It simply won't let me shift into second when I am accelerating hard and want to shift very quickly.

3) This is the most annoying of all of them. It seems that my car has this strange vibration when slowing down sometimes. I know there is a vibration to the gearbox and stickshift... but this vibration I am speaking of is not the normal type. It really vibrates through the gearshift very roughly, and I can feel the vibration through the car as well. Most of the time it happens when I am slowing down, through a certain rev range. Its tough for me to explain. Does anyone know what i am talking about?

Once again, any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Do you have a warranty?If so let Nissan fix it first..
Old 08-11-2007, 05:26 PM
PRS350Z

Yes I had the place that I bought the car, certify it. I am starting to worry that I bought a problematic car. They said there was no accidents etc. with the car... but you could see touch up paint on the side of the front bumber (in the panel that connects to the front fender). Clutch is also starting to go.

Any idea of what is wrong? Engine issue? Transmission issue?
Old 08-11-2007, 05:52 PM
failsafe306

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PRS350Z as in...Paul Reed Smith, the guitar maker? If so, cool
Old 08-11-2007, 07:10 PM
PRS350Z

Hahahaha... yes exactly! I think you are the first person I know that caught that. I personally have a USA made Jackson Soloist, but I plan on getting a PRS. I have wanted one for a while.
Old 08-11-2007, 07:11 PM
PRS350Z

Originally Posted by failsafe306
PRS350Z as in...Paul Reed Smith, the guitar maker? If so, cool
Awesome Avatar btw... I miss being young and watching He-Man, Gi-Joe and Transformers. The good ole days. Now I have Z issues. Lol.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:18 PM
failsafe306

Awesome Avatar btw... I miss being young and watching He-Man, Gi-Joe and Transformers. The good ole days. Now I have Z issues. Lol.
Ah...me to

I have a CE24 myself and a whole bunch of other kinds of guitars as well.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:22 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Each of the items that you mentioned are subjective. Nissan will not fix a problem under warranty unless there is a problem.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:48 PM
PRS350Z

Don't this constitute as problems? I bought the car earlier this year as a certified pre-owned car. It wasn't listed as a cpo, but I told them I would only buy the car as a cpo. I am beginning to wonder if I got screwed.

I am looking for ideas on what the 3rd problem could be. I want to offer suggestions to Nissan when I bring my car in. Not looking forward to possibly getting the "we couldn't replicate the problem" spiel.
Old 08-12-2007, 12:54 PM
NGZ

I've seen discussions about your problem #3 a few times.
E.g.
https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/286369-decel-vibration-right-at-2200-rpm.html
https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/289938-just-installed-crawford-hfc-s-and-vibration-rattle.html
And if I recall correctly one was related to a short shifter mod?

Edit: a couple more:
https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance-and-repair/270981-strange-throttle-lift-vibration.html
https://my350z.com/forum/engine-and-drivetrain/259344-shiftknob-vibration-at-idle.html

Last edited by NGZ; 08-12-2007 at 12:57 PM.
Old 08-12-2007, 03:57 PM
roast

Here's the thread I started on problem #3
https://my350z.com/forum/maintenance-and-repair/185549-loud-vibration-when-engine-braking.html

I've seen a few other threads on it as well... nobody seems to know what it is. I've almost got 50k miles now and its not as bad as it used to be... still does it from time to time.

Last edited by roast; 08-12-2007 at 04:02 PM.
Old 08-12-2007, 04:45 PM
PRS350Z

Thank you guys for your help.

Mine is intermittent. I will not rely on replicating it for the dealership, but will just suggest for them to check the various components that have been mentioned in the threads.

Would the cpo warranty cover those items?
Old 08-12-2007, 05:20 PM
roast

prs, check the thread i posted and tell me if that is the same problem you're talking about...
Old 08-12-2007, 05:26 PM
PRS350Z

Originally Posted by roast
prs, check the thread i posted and tell me if that is the same problem you're talking about...

It sounds similar. Its also with deceleration for me. Its as the revs go down, there will be a vibration (much more than normal) through the gearshift, and can be felt throughout the car. Doesn't feel good, but does go away.

Also, I have a 2004.5 car... and when I rev the car, the engine feels very rough and feels like its going to explode. I take it thats normal with this engine?
Old 08-12-2007, 05:43 PM
NGZ

It sounds similar. Its also with deceleration for me. Its as the revs go down, there will be a vibration (much more than normal) through the gearshift, and can be felt throughout the car. Doesn't feel good, but does go away.

Also, I have a 2004.5 car... and when I rev the car, the engine feels very rough and feels like its going to explode. I take it thats normal with this engine?
About the vibration thing that roast is talking about: I've experienced something similar, but I noticed that it happens when I downshift but I don't bring my revs just quite high enough. When I get the revs right, I don't get the vibrations.

I don't think "feels like it's going to explode" is something normal The VQ feels silky smooth to me. But maybe you could be more descriptive? Did the previous owner mod the car?
Old 08-12-2007, 06:59 PM
PRS350Z

Originally Posted by NGZ
About the vibration thing that roast is talking about: I've experienced something similar, but I noticed that it happens when I downshift but I don't bring my revs just quite high enough. When I get the revs right, I don't get the vibrations.

I don't think "feels like it's going to explode" is something normal The VQ feels silky smooth to me. But maybe you could be more descriptive? Did the previous owner mod the car?
With the vibrations, I get the annoying feeling in the car/gearshift usually between 2 and 3k rpm. Its also intermittent.

Regarding the engine, I don't know if the owner modded it before me. It seems stock now. Stupid dealership told me that the previous owner was an old dude. I think they are full of ****. I should have checked my brakes as well before I took the car. Had it for a few months, and they need to be changed already (grooved). I hate car salesmen.

The engine feels rough at high rpm and the sound is rough. Also if I have my car at 5k rpm in first gear, it feels horrible. Unlike my previous Germany cars where the engines are silky smooth. Dunno if its just the Z engine, or just my Z engine.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:53 PM
PRS350Z

For anyone that cares, my car is going to the service dept on Monday. They have to check my clutch. Its only been a few months since I have owned the car but I have to replace the front rotors (grooved) and apparently the clutch/pressure plate. I guess the person that had it before me was not an old fart as per the salesperson. Figures.

Hopefully they will be able to resolve my other problems. Heres hoping...
Old 08-29-2007, 04:25 PM
PRS350Z

Alright, my car has been to the dealership. They had it for 8 days!!!!

Anyhow, they said my clutch was fried. I was ofcourse annoyed, as it is in addition to my front rotors being grooved (my local Nissan dealership told me this when I went for my first oil change after I purchased my car). Its really irritating, knowing that I made the dealership where I bought my car, CPO the car.

I digress. So... my car needed a new clutch, pressure plate, throw bearing, slave cylinder, master cylinder, bushings and a fuel valve.

Whats strange, is that my clutch is WAY softer than the previous one and the contact point, is in a totally different spot. Does that makes sense? Also, and this is really strange, 1-4 gear is really smooth, but now gears 5 and 6 are much harder to engage and feel like they stick in gear when I want to move it out of gear. Any thoughts?
Old 08-29-2007, 05:18 PM
Jestasia

all of those needed to be replaced? wow hopefully it's not a .....lemon
Old 08-29-2007, 05:56 PM
PRS350Z

I bought the car certified pre-owned from another dealership in another state. Its a 2004.5 Touring 6-speed. It appears that the guy before me thrashed the car. Now I got stuck with the bill. I had to pay for all those replacements since they are not covered by the certified pre-owned warranty. I still have to replace the front rotors and pads.

Originally Posted by Jestasia
all of those needed to be replaced? wow hopefully it's not a .....lemon

Quick Reply: 350Z experts help!!!!