Notices
New Owners Welcome to the Family!

My New Z with a Vortech

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 11:18 AM
carscrainer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My New Z with a Vortech

Hello everyone. I just bought my first 350Z two weeks ago. It has a Vortech supercharger with a Greddy dual exhaust and a Nismo Suspension. It is also hooked up for NOS.

I am the third owner and have talked a lot with the first owner who did most of the mods to the car except for the NOS and smaller 3.12 pulley.

The original owner is very smart and particular about the car. The second not so smart. He owned the car for two years and only put 8 thousand miles on it so I have my fingers crossed that my engine has not been hurt.

I know the car is not set up for the Nos or the smaller pulley so I plan on getting it set up right.

I have been talking to a tuner shop and this is what they say I need.

600cc injectors
new fuel pump
Utec
New Tune

They say this is what I need to run the 3.12 pulley and the Nos and I will still have room down the road to make more power if I want.

I want around 400whp without the Nos do you think this is possible with my car and the parts listed or do I need any other parts or any good advice would be greatly apreciated. Thanks again Do I need all the parts or do I need more or is this a good place to start?
Old 01-26-2010, 11:30 AM
halfass872

Originally Posted by carscrainer
...The original owner is very smart and particular about the car. The second not so smart. He owned the car for two years and only put 8 thousand miles on it so I have my fingers crossed that my engine has not been hurt.
I don't understand why you attribute not driving the wheels off the car with the engine being bad. Most of us here have a DD that isn't the Z, doesn't mean our cars are all jacked up.

Last edited by halfass872; 01-26-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:21 PM
tylerxfire

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

use that search button,,u have a lot to learn..i make more than 400whp on the 3.12 pulley...U shouldnt have bought that car if there was nitrous ran through it along with the vortech kit because that is too much power for the stock block, the stock block is only gonna safely take around 400-450whp which can be obtained with the vortech alone...take that nitrous system off and sell it and go get a compression test and a good tune done to be sure ur car is all set....where in ny are u?
Old 01-26-2010, 12:24 PM
tylerxfire

what exactly is on ur car? do u have a complete vortech kit with fmu, and inline pump and ss box right now on stock injectors or do u have larger injectors and walbro in the tank and a utec or what...explain exactly what is on ur car....if u have a complete vortech kit with the added inline pump and fmu and ss box from the kit u can run the 3.12 pulley with just a re-tune of the ss box which VTR in long island does and did mine and not have to buy the larger injectors, fuel pump and utec and then have that installed and tuned and save some money...u can do this all on the stock injectors with that pulley as long as u have the complete kit like i said with the added fuel pump and fmu, so let me know what is on ur car for sure...do u have a/f gauge or anything in the car?

Last edited by tylerxfire; 01-26-2010 at 12:27 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:26 PM
TheFarmer

Wow. Vortech+N2O+stock block=fail.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:04 PM
carscrainer

Yes it is the complete vortech kit as far as I know. It does have the inline fuel pump. It has a Split Second box wired up as well. It is still on the stock fuel injectors. The pump in the tank is still stock as well. I live an hour and a half south of buffalo. So do you think it can be tuned the way it is or do you need more info from me?
Old 01-26-2010, 05:10 PM
tylerxfire

Yes it is the complete vortech kit as far as I know. It does have the inline fuel pump. It has a Split Second box wired up as well. It is still on the stock fuel injectors. The pump in the tank is still stock as well. I live an hour and a half south of buffalo. So do you think it can be tuned the way it is or do you need more info from me?

yes it can be tuned the way it is...honestly i would really pull that nitrous kit off and sell it in the marketplace here and make up some money for useless parts to u..u do not need it, u have a stock block and ur motor wont take it..the 3.12 pulley and a good tune is all ur motor will safely take for a daily driver and put u around 400whp...

If u have what u say and since u are out by buffalo then dave at innovative tuning would be able to help u out if u want to stay local...I personally go to VTR in long island but u make your choice (he is a ss box expert as thats what he really likes to use), but i know that dave can tune them as well...I have stock injectors and stock fuel pump on my car and have the complete vortech kit with the inline pump and fmu and ss box and i had plenty of fuel for the 3.12 pulley along with many other people doing this..keeps it nice and simple and good for stock block imo...is the pulley already on ur car? do u have a/f gauge and boost gauge installed in ur car? how do u know its not tuned for the pulley?

http://vinnytenracing.com/

http://www.innovativetuning.com/

Last edited by tylerxfire; 01-26-2010 at 05:13 PM.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:14 PM
tylerxfire

also i dont really know what is south of buffalo, i live in ilion ny kinda by utica...are u my way or different...where actually r u?, i come out by cuse quite often
Old 01-26-2010, 05:15 PM
carscrainer

Oh yeah it does not have an A/F gauge or boost gauge or any gauges other than what comes stock.

Should I just take the car the way it is to the dyno shop and have them try and retune my SS box and see what kind of numbers it makes? I would love to save some money if possible and still make some decent numbers on the dyno. Im not afraid of a drive if the work is better somewhere else. Right now I have been talking to the tuner at innovative tuning out of buffalo. They say they can tune my SS box but also said I would need the other parts to make the car get enough fuel. I have an 04 R1 that I run at the track. I am 6'2" 260lbs so I only run 10.40 at 140mph but its a blast. I am not sure what my car should run but I hope to be in the 12's. How much power do you think my car should make the way it is and how much more power would I get with the almost $2,000 worth of upgrades ( the UTEC fuel injectors and pump) Thanks for your time and I look forward to your reply
Old 01-26-2010, 05:20 PM
carscrainer

I live in a small town called bolivar. The zip is 14715 I am about 3 hours from syracuse. I drag at leiceister ny the New York International Raceway Park have you ever been their. It/s a quarter mile track. Not a lot of Z's around my area. I just got mine to replace my dying dodge stealth twin turbo all wheel drive that I love so dearly but is dying. LOL So far so good I like my 03 track model.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:23 PM
tylerxfire

Oh yeah it does not have an A/F gauge or boost gauge or any gauges other than what comes stock.

Should I just take the car the way it is to the dyno shop and have them try and retune my SS box and see what kind of numbers it makes? I would love to save some money if possible and still make some decent numbers on the dyno. Im not afraid of a drive if the work is better somewhere else. Right now I have been talking to the tuner at innovative tuning out of buffalo. They say they can tune my SS box but also said I would need the other parts to make the car get enough fuel. I have an 04 R1 that I run at the track. I am 6'2" 260lbs so I only run 10.40 at 140mph but its a blast. I am not sure what my car should run but I hope to be in the 12's. How much power do you think my car should make the way it is and how much more power would I get with the almost $2,000 worth of upgrades ( the UTEC fuel injectors and pump) Thanks for your time and I look forward to your reply

i think u will be fine on fuel for the vortech with 3.12 pulley, he is prolly saying u will need more fuel for the nitrous....the fuel pump and injectors and utec are not gonna give u more power just gonna give u more fuel if u needed it and the utec has switches to change maps so u could have a tune for the supercharger alone and then another map for the supercharger and nitrous tune, but im telling u ur motor will not hold up to the nitrous with the supercharger...

honestly if i were in your shoes i would take it in the way it is and have it put on the dyno and re-tuned with the ss box, u can save yourself money from buying those parts and like i said i beleive u will be fine on fuel.. buy good a/f gauge and boost gauge also and hook up....and not one of those stupid colorful a/f gauges i mean a wideband...digital aem is what i have
Old 01-26-2010, 05:25 PM
tylerxfire

and yes i would say vinny would do a much better job with the ss box just because thats what he does and always uses but its much further for u...where as dave at innovative does not and just can tune it if needed from what i got out of him before...he has tuned 1 before as vinny has tuned hundreds...u may want to try dave out and see if he does a good job..im sure he will
Old 01-26-2010, 05:27 PM
tylerxfire

also numbers really arent what u should be concerned with..u should just get it on the dyno and see where the tune stands and get it right where it should be so it is safe
Old 01-26-2010, 05:29 PM
carscrainer

Yes the pulley is already on the car. I asked the guy I bought it from if the car was tuned for it and he said no. He also said he put the pulley on. I have the old pulley too. I think I might just make an apointment at innovative tunning and just see what happens. They will be able to tell me if my car is running lean or not I guess. I have talked to a guy named mike from their and he is the one that says I need bigger injectors and such. He said their is no possible way my stock system would make enough fuel. I believe that it can be done as it sounds like you already have and that is good news to me. Hopefully all goes well and I can pull the nitrous and just sell it for a couple extra bucks.
Old 01-26-2010, 05:38 PM
tylerxfire

Yes the pulley is already on the car. I asked the guy I bought it from if the car was tuned for it and he said no. He also said he put the pulley on. I have the old pulley too. I think I might just make an apointment at innovative tunning and just see what happens. They will be able to tell me if my car is running lean or not I guess. I have talked to a guy named mike from their and he is the one that says I need bigger injectors and such. He said their is no possible way my stock system would make enough fuel. I believe that it can be done as it sounds like you already have and that is good news to me. Hopefully all goes well and I can pull the nitrous and just sell it for a couple extra bucks.
yeah make an apt. to get it on the dyno and bring it in the way it is and just leave the nitrous alone or have them pull it off while ur there...u should see about 9psi with that pulley so if u dont something is wrong there and u may need to tighten the serp. belt and u should have enough fuel, they should tune ur a/f to the 11.8 range...pull that nitrous off and sell it..if u do not have enough fuel for some odd reason then yes u will have to get bigger injectors but that is ur way of finding out...the ss box can scale injectors up to 550cc so u could even stay with the ss box and get bigger injectors if u wanted to instead of buying a utec too if u need to...good luck let me know how u make out..
Old 01-27-2010, 03:48 AM
carscrainer

Alright this is the plan as of now. I am going to call the mechanic and get a compression test done have my belt checked and make sure it is good and have the oil changed. I also figured I would put new spark plugs in the car as well. Should I run with stock plugs or am I suppose to get plugs that are a heat cycle or two colder. Do they have them right at the local autozone or do I need to buy them from somewhere else? Thanks again for your help.

Then I am going to call the dyno shop later today and make an apointment to have it tuned the way it is and see what happens. Hopefully all goes well and I will have money left over for a nice nav/dvd/cd player. Only time will tell I guess
Old 01-27-2010, 07:56 AM
tylerxfire

get 1 step colder ngk iridiums....go to the vendor marketplace here...think i got mine from hr autoparts but cant remember..local autozone prolly doesnt have them...

https://my350z.com/forum/engine/3525...ep-colder.html

Do u have stock cats on the car? is ur car 5AT or 6 spd?

Last edited by tylerxfire; 01-27-2010 at 07:57 AM.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:33 AM
carscrainer

I brought the stock cats home in my other car so I assume that I dont have the stock cats on my car. I looked under it and the greddy exhaust works it's way forward with seperate pipes so It looks like a true dual and prob has test pipes. Why else would they take the stock cats off I guess. It go to the shop tuesday for the compression test plugs and oil change. I should learn more about my car then. It is a 6speed. thanks again for the help. I got some plugs on the way through advanced auto they will be here in the morning

Last edited by carscrainer; 01-27-2010 at 11:59 AM.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:40 AM
tylerxfire

yeah find out if u have test pipes or high flow cats...do u have a check engiine light on? find out all u can on the car while its in the air...
Old 01-27-2010, 12:36 PM
carscrainer

My engine light did come on and when I had it checked it says that it is my crank sensor and or possibly low battery. I put a new battery in and the light was still on. Two days later it shut off for about a week, Then two days ago came on and just this afternoon shut back off after I went to the parts store and bought a crank/angle sensor for tuesday just incase it needs it. When it is below 20 degrees my car doesnt seem to want to start. At least that is when I notice it wont start only when its really cold. It just turns over and never fires. Then and hour or 20 min or some weird amount of time or when it warms up it will just start right up. then it seems to run fine the rest of the day. I had a similar problem with my stealth twin turbo when the crank sensor went it would just shut off and not start until for an unspecified amount of trys and then it would fire up and run fine. So Im not sure but I think I may need a crank sensor too. I called nissan and my car is not one that had a recall on the crank sensor. IDK I will check on the cats or test pipes tuesday and look around under her. I was told it has a Nismo Suspension. Do you know how I would be able to tell. I know the springs are red lol and she seems to set pretty low. Its got an aftermarket front bumper so where would I measure from to see if my ride height is stock and what would that number be?

Quick Reply: My New Z with a Vortech