Notices
New Owners Welcome to the Family!

Snow driving with a Z

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2012 | 06:26 AM
07sanmarino

Originally Posted by DFW Z33
Driving in the snow can be done, but imo, it would be way too much of a pain do deal with every day of the winter. The Z loses traction extremely easily in the snow
I have to agree with this. Tires certainly do help but the safety issue is always in the front of my mind.
Old 07-30-2012 | 02:41 PM
BlueGS

Dude we got 14 feet my 1st year here, the winter of 2000 to 2001. We had 4 snow falls of 24 inches and 2 snow falls of 36. not to mention the numerous 2 to 6 kind. I didnt think the **** would ever end and I gre up south of Buffalo NY.. yes I am a Bills fan. I generally leave before the plows go through but that has changed since I changed jobs.
I, like you feel this could be an impluse but dam I have wanted one of those for years...
I got time to do this I will be riding my GS till October..

Originally Posted by 07sanmarino
I won't lie to you, my purchase was definitely more of an impulse buy based on the fact I had always wanted a Z. After I bought it, and definitely after the first winter, it made me seriously regret not looking harder at the G35X.

My next used car I will likely be looking closely at the G35X/G37X. I think it would be wise to do the same before you buy so you don't have any regrets afterwards. You can get a G35X with the HR motor. It won't have the same performance as the Z or even the regular G35 HR model, but that's a reasonable compromise for being able to drive year-round with more confidence and comfort. I'm sure you could manage to get through winters in a Z, but based on where you're located, it may be more trouble than it's worth- you get some pretty heavy snow up that way.
Old 07-30-2012 | 03:03 PM
tazicon

A Z is not the best car to drive in the snow. Can it be done yes, do you want to drive it in the snow instead of an awd? Hummmmm I sure wouldn't. Would I want to drive my Z in that crap they put on the roads to melt the snow and ice, not no but f**k no. Even in Colorado my neighbors and I all had beaters for the winters. Yes there were nice days to bring out the other cars but man for the snow a beater with awd is the only way to go. Or should I say the smart way to go.
Old 07-31-2012 | 02:55 AM
BoomerZ33

most Z drivers in your area store it in the winter and drive a beater car that's capable in the snow
Old 11-07-2012 | 04:12 PM
CarbonZz

Originally Posted by 07sanmarino
This is not true, take a look at the posts above you, they offer a lot more insight into the true nature of driving a Z in the snow.

I've driven my 350z through the past three years/winters here in MA, and learned the importance of choosing the right tires very quickly. The first year I used my Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus. They did work and got the job done, but I knew not to push my luck with these tires. The next year I purchased dedicated set of blizzak tires on a 17" wheel setup and have used these the past two years, putting them on in November, taking them off each Spring (depending on how severe/long the winter lasts). This method has worked fine.

If the OP is in New England, a more important question would be in which part? I'm located just north of Boston, so by the time I hit the roads most snow days there has already been some initial plowing efforts and there isn't much more than 1-3" to deal with on the road. In areas which do not get as much attention, a lot more caution is needed. Also, you have to learn to play with the TCS (if you have this option), it locks up the gas (which can be a good thing), but if you drive manual can also leave you stalling on a hill, or you can lose the momentum just when its needed most.

Overall, you can certainly drive your car through winters here in NE, but plan on spending some decent money on solid set of dedicated snow tires.
Do you have a Manual or automatic z?
pm me please