Notices
New Owners Welcome to the Family!

Almost an owner, but a few questions first...

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2012, 01:08 PM
filmjr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Almost an owner, but a few questions first...

I'm searching now for a stock, used 2003-2006 350Z (or G35) with lower than average mileage. Lucky for me, there are a ton to be found for reasonable money. I hope to buy one this week.

I feel very comfortable with the reliability of the VQ engines, but I don't know much about the durability, reliability or finicky-ness of the rest of the car.

Are there any "gotchas" I should look for when I'm inspecting a used 350Z?

Any known troubles/normal issues with transmissions, suspension, etc. on the years I'm looking at (03-06, 40k-60k mi)?

Otherwise, I'm open to any pre-purchase advice any of you have, and I'm hoping this is the right thread since I'm guessing most of you have just purchased a Z yourselves.

Thanks for any help you've got. Hope to be sharing pictures of my new car soon.

Jr.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:11 PM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

The "Search" function at the top of the screen works wonders...
Old 08-20-2012, 08:04 PM
PlainWhite350z

Here's a few cliff note style suggestions I'll throw out there:

1) If you haven't already, make yourself familiar with the different features offered by all the different available trim levels (base, enthusiast, touring, etc.) so you know what you're getting and how much to pay for it comparatively (many dealers mislabel the trim level out of ignorance or to try to milk money out of potential buyers dishonestly). They're not badged differently like many cars.

2) 03 and early 04 cars experienced some typical early production problems, particularly in the transmission. Pay close attention to the condition of the synchro's when test driving. Mid year in 04 they got a revision, addressing some of the early problems such as the transmission and got a stiffer suspension. Easiest way to tell an "04.5" without looking up the production date or transmission revision # is to look for the little knee pads on the sides of the center console, right next to the hvac controls.

3) Some of the 05 and 06's came with the rev-up version of the motor (05 anniversary, 06 touring 6mt, a few others I believe). A sizeable number of these motors experienced bad oil consumption problems. Not to say you should exclude these from your search, just be aware and look at service history if selecting one of these.

4) Power window motors have proven a weak point in many cars, and are pricier to replace than you might think. Not a difficult fix by any means, but ammo to use in the price negotiations.

That's really all I can think of off the top of my head. Otherwise, scrutinize prospects the same as any other car. Good luck with the hunt.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:06 PM
angelo350z

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, a used car means used problems. But PlainWhite350z pretty much summed up most of the problems for the model years you're looking at. The '03 and earlier '04 models also had the tire feathering issue.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:49 AM
filmjr

Thanks so much for the good feedback. To Syner's point, I had browsed the forums before posting, but didn't trust myself to figure out which issues were the most common.

I used to run a body shop so I feel okay about dealing with window motors. The transmission issue is a bit spooky, but some quick clicks on the sponsor links here seem to indicate that the updated transmissions aren't terribly hard to come by...is that right?

I was completely unaware of the oil consumption issue on the rev-up motors. Will definitely look into that.

I've got an appointment with the bank this morning and then an 04 base model and an 05touring model to look at. Fingers crossed...
Old 08-21-2012, 08:30 PM
PlainWhite350z

Quite welcome. Don't let the transmission issue scare you. You now know of the issue, and you've got a good idea of what to pay attention to in order to identify it. You're right about the updated transmissions, they're not difficult to find. Another plus is because of the nature of the Z and their typical first owners, many cars have had the common problems addressed already under warranty. Hopefully, you'll get access to some service records, either through the dealership or sometimes listed on carfax and be able to tell.

The best piece of general advice I'd give to anyone shopping is not to let yourself only see or hear what you want to. It's easy to fall in love with the idea of getting a certain car, so much so that you downplay or ignore issues that could be easily identified by being objective. I know this is completely obvious to many, most likely yourself having been in the auto industry.

The first Z I looked at was about 2 hours away. It was a silverstone '03 touring and I was convinced on the ride up that it would be perfect and I'd be driving it home. Sadly, it had the telltale transmission noises and was a little too rough for the price otherwise, so I had to pass. It wasn't fun wasting 4 hours of driving and the better part of the day for nothing, but it beats ending up with a money pit. About a week later I drove 2 hours in the opposite direction to find the 04.5 touring that I'm driving today, and couldn't be happier about it so far.

Keep us posted. We'll want pics.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:50 PM
filmjr

Ok, very close now. Driving down to look at (get this) a plain white 350Z, bone-stock 2004 with 26,000mi.

I fully take what you're saying about romancing the car. In fact, I have a borderline dysfunctional opposite condition where I find myself talking my way out of good deals because...well, there HAS TO BE SOMETHING WRONG!

Suffice to say, I've done all the investigating and devil's advocating I can reasonably do for this particular Z-car. I've destroyed the poor dude's e-mail with questions, and he's been patient and transparent with his answers. If the inspection and test drive go well tomorrow, I'll drive it home.

If for some reason it isn't the car I think it is, I've got a 05 G35 and an 05 350Z Touring to investigate next.

Fingers crossed!

Last edited by filmjr; 08-22-2012 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Grammar and style, man, grammar and style...
Old 08-24-2012, 09:38 AM
filmjr

Done!

Pics and discussion on my new Z (plain white!) here:

https://my350z.com/forum/new-owners/...ml#post9857267

Thanks for all the great advice!

EXCLAMATION POINT!