Notices
New Owners Welcome to the Family!

Cig lighter bad grounding

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2018, 12:29 AM
DaddyT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cig lighter bad grounding

So I’ve had my z for around a year now but this past winter I guess the heater core went bad or whatever before I got it and I didn’t check it anyway so it was my only car for a little while and the short time I had to use it what I did for heat was one of the defrosters you can buy from Walmart so after a day of that working fine the cig lighter stopped working so naturally I pull the fuse and check it and try testing it to see if it’s putting out and what I noticed was with what I did raised the passenger seat, and opened the glove box and used the little metal square it latches onto for a ground is it would light up only when I had that connected to the glove box metal which lead me to the conclusion that I have a bad ground so I trace down the ground pretty much gut the trunk and now I’m pretty confused when I followed the wire it led me to the trunk drivers side pretty much where the tail light is but on the inside metal, a silver box. anyone have any ideas what that is or maybe if I traced it wrong/ an easier fix to get the cig lighter working again? 2003 performance z only lighter Inbetween seats. TIA
Old 04-03-2018, 11:19 AM
JMII

Received 41 Likes on 39 Posts

Just reground to another location then.

Not sure if this is the same but... I had the cig lighter go bad in my car for no apparent reason. The fuse was good, the ground was good, but the darn thing just wouldn't work when using a small air compressor / tire inflator. I began to wonder if there was some kind of internal safety fuse to limit current flow. Anyway I replaced the whole cig lighter with a generic one that was the same size from Amazon.