Notices
New Owners Welcome to the Family!

350z de oil pressure question

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2019 | 07:53 AM
Portal

Default 350z de oil pressure question

Greetings everyone!

The time shall came! I'm looking for my dream 350z!

I am bussy with looking for decend 350z for me, I've allready seen some of them and I have quite good question about oil pressure:
Some of the cars I've seen, keeps 32psi on warm idle, some of others keep 15psi on warm idle. I allready read half of internet about 350z and half of the people indeed has normal idle pressure of 32psi. Other half has 15 psi and they allso sayed that's normal...
I know Nissan sayed idle more than 14psi and 2k rpm more than 43psi.
What oil pressure should be normal for healty engine? Does the cars which has 15 psi are allready fatigued / engine worn?

PS. Im looking only for coupe, manual, de 280pk - the question doesn't apply to revup or hr versions.
I'm allso doesn't care for mileage, I am looking for healty well cared car.

As far as I allready asking, I have few more questions:
Is there any way to check (while visiting seller) does the car has oil consumption problem? The only one thing I've found out on quick is to take a look at exhaust tips to see any oil dirt. I'm allso trying to check exhaust gas color while starting cold engine, looking for blue smoke. Do You have any other tips for buyer to avoid oil consumption problem models?

I've heard oil type makes quite big impact on pressure. Does the gauge will show big difference between 5w30 and 10w40? Is it going to be noticable? If yes, how much approx. it's going to be? 5psi/10psi?

Thank You very much and I hope I will find here some kind persons willing to answear a noobie and new 350z freak. Best Regards!
Old 10-19-2019 | 10:11 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM
Premier Member

Welcome and there are no absolutes when it comes to the questions you're asking. Why not? Ambient temperatures, oil types, maintenance and other factors come into play and prevent valid comparisons from my part of the world to yours. But no matter where you live, one thing I recommend for the type of questions you're asking is to hire an experienced Nissan tech to do full mechanical assessment of a car you're seriously about buying. They can do a compression check and other specific tests to determine the health of a VQ. Here in the states you can expect to pay between $300-500 for a full written assessment (no repair work involved).
Old 10-19-2019 | 10:34 AM
Portal

Thank You very much for reply and Your time to read my thread but i'm affraid it doesn't change nothink in the topic:
I live in NL and i was testing the car few days ago with ambient temp of arround 18 degree celsius. Do You think this temperature can change oil pressure of half of ammount? Do You recommend me of taking 8 cars for total checkup worth 4k bucks just to know few details, some1 can just tell me from experience of using the car?

Mostly i wanted to know does 15 psi oil pressure is absolutely nothink to worry and its normal or that's a sign of engine worn (no leaks from engine)
Most sellers have no idea of type of oil the car running on because they sending car to garage every year to complete maintenance. For top up they allso using garage. I assume all thoose cars are filled up with 5w30, which is most common oil here and mostly suggested by nissan.
I'm allso meaning temperatures mild-warm without any extreeme like alaska/california.
Old 10-19-2019 | 01:44 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Def oil weight is going to influence. Also, if you're reading off the OEM triple-gauge than you're reading a 'gauge' and it's hardly precise and well-known for being inaccurate and dysfunctioning.

I wouldnt let a 15psi oil pressure reading stop you from buying the car. I always look under the car for leaks / drips onto the underpinnings of the car and seals on the engine block, on/around radiator for leaking coolant, etc.

I also make the assumption if the engine bay, interior, trunk(look underneath the carpet) looks well kept its a good indication that the engine has been maintained.

Does the owner have maintenance records and maintenance logs?

but what DK said ... take it to a mechanic and get their opinion before pulling the trigger...
Old 10-19-2019 | 01:49 PM
KornerCarver

15 PSI at idle is normal. Nissan specifies idle pressure should be 14 PSI.
Old 10-19-2019 | 01:59 PM
Portal

Bealljk thank You very much for sharing Your opinion.
Indeed, the car I look before, I've take a very close look. It was absolute dry underneath, very good condition of body and suspension, no oil leaks, all clean.
It was 1st nissan I saw, which has only 15 psi. That's why I didn't bought it because all other I saw has 32 psi. Seller was a car shop and last record about oil was 30k km before. I checked the stick, it was middle between min and max, oil was allso changed (without a record) because it looks and sticks like it would be 7-8k km old. For sure not longer than 10k - imo.
We refilled oil to 3/4 brtween min and max and it didnt make any difference on gauge. I thought the engine was allready worned and I let it go. Just for curious Ive started to look for a solution at home and Ive discovered a fact many ppl has 15 psi and they say its normal. I dont know what to think about it.
Old 10-19-2019 | 02:02 PM
Portal

KornerCarver - thanks allso to You for reply.
Nissan specify -more- than 14psi. Most 350z i saw has 32psi and i thought 15 is allready worn and slowly going to zero.

So after Your answears I understand 15 psi is normal and it's not saying nothink about engine is dying allready?

edit:
Oh, one more thing. The car i saw as a last with thoose 15 psi has allso a very little rough idle, You could feel a bit shake on seat/wheel/gear stick. I thought it was related with pressure, indeed in fact that could be a tiny intake leak.

Last edited by Portal; 10-19-2019 at 02:11 PM.
Old 10-19-2019 | 02:25 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Portal
Indeed, the car I look before, I've take a very close look. It was absolute dry underneath, very good condition of body and suspension, no oil leaks, all clean.
It was 1st nissan I saw, which has only 15 psi. That's why I didn't bought it because all other I saw has 32 psi
Can you go back? Is it still for sale?
Old 10-19-2019 | 02:36 PM
Portal

Yes it is still for sale. Next monday im going to look for another car. I will compare thoose 2 and I will pick up one, maybe I will come back for the one with 15psi.

Thank You guys for solving my confuse!
Old 10-19-2019 | 03:52 PM
KornerCarver

Here is a page from the Haynes Repair Manual showing the recommended oil pressure is 14 PSI at idle and 43 PSI at 2000 RPM. I hope this helps.
Old 10-19-2019 | 04:08 PM
Portal

Thank You very much for document. Still, it is saying: minimum (not recomended). That's why i was woundering is there any point of buying car which does minimum of limits.
Old 10-19-2019 | 05:39 PM
KornerCarver

It does say minimum. I bought my Z a little over 16 years ago and the oil pressure was 15 psi at idle when I bought the car and it is still 15 psi at idle. Obviously, it is your decision whether to buy the Z or not. If you feel 15 psi is too low, then I would recommend passing on that car.
Old 10-19-2019 | 06:33 PM
Portal

I didn't sayed its too low for me, I was affraid this is engine worn and I was asking about Your opinion here.
If You bought Your car as new and You had allso 15 psi pressure than its most clarify answear - now I can be completely sure that's absolutely normal and I can take the car.

Thank You - You should say so from begining bro!

Last edited by Portal; 10-19-2019 at 06:34 PM.
Old 10-20-2019 | 12:08 AM
M1n1h4ck3r

Doing a ****ing big work on my Z changing the Timing chain and water pump, I have new oil pump as well but it looks reeeealy hard to remove. Somebody have something to say about that?
Old 10-20-2019 | 12:28 AM
M1n1h4ck3r

I saw a guy on youtube that tells that the low oil pressure is caused by bad GALLEY GASKETS, I dont want to buy it because I want the car ready until monday, so I'm thinking use liquid gasket RTV, would I?
Old 10-20-2019 | 08:55 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by M1n1h4ck3r
Somebody have something to say about that?
other than take the engine out of the car?

I saw a guy on youtube that tells that the low oil pressure is caused by bad GALLEY GASKETS
that's likely an HR model. They had gasket issues on the oil galley on the HR. The DE engine doesnt have that problem.

I saw a guy on youtube that tells that the low oil pressure is caused by bad GALLEY GASKETS, I dont want to buy it because I want the car ready until monday, so I'm thinking use liquid gasket RTV, would I?
looks like you bit off more than you can chew if you want this done by tomorrow!!

let me guess - is this your daily driver?
Old 10-20-2019 | 10:12 AM
Portal

M1n1h4ck3r - I wish to help but I never worked at 350z, at this moment I have e46 328Ci and oil pump there is easy to change and never breaking down.

bealljk - I didn't know de motors didn't have problems with oil gallery gaskets, that's realy handy to know. I thought that was for all 350z, Thanks!

Is there some1 who would be so kind to make for me a short movie with smartphone of vq35de engine sound (no rev up)? I mean like sound from left engine bay side, right one and top of the engine, please? Ofc i mean some1 who has healty engine without any head issues.
The point is: some of the 350z Ive seen, has a clicking noise, most noticable to hear from top side of engine - like over the intake manifold. I don't know is that normal for 350z, because my e46 328 allso does that and the 2.8 engine is known by this sound - its normal for this version.
My e-mail adress: portalus.pl@gmail.com

Last edited by Portal; 10-20-2019 at 10:14 AM.
Old 10-20-2019 | 10:41 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

just look on youtube...

the noisy valves is somewhat common and usually acceptable if its not crazy pronounced. If it's really really loud than it could be a valve issue or a bearing issue.

the best thing you can do is pay someone to inspect the car.

It would be wildly foolish to relying on any of us to give you advice on any car you are interested in.

Furthermore - at the end of the day, the car will break ... something will eventually break. It's just the nature of the beast ... to think you're gonna find the perfect car that will drive exactly how it rolled off the factory line without upkeep, maintenance, repairs, etc is unrealistic.

Go find one that you like, have it inspected, and buy it...
Old 10-20-2019 | 11:13 AM
Portal

Bealljk that's absolutely true what You sayed. I don't absolutely mind to buy perfect car. It depends a bit from price and my personal feeling into model im looking at. I can pay much for this 350z but i'm expecting a rly good car. If the price is low l, I can allso agree for some fixes. Many things I can do myself, like small paint jobs, some hardware to replace, some interior restoration etc.
Point with clicking is my curious. Some cars just has it, doesn't mater how old is it or how many miles has it - it's just the way of design. Like example I gave: my e46 only with 2.8 engine is noticable to click. You can change new head, do sealings, doesn't matter - she will click. If You take any other engine from series like 2.5 or 3.0, it will be much smoother but still 2.8 construction is the best imo.

That's why I asked some1 to send me a short movie because I was woundering how is with 350z. It wasn't obvious valves. It sounds like it a bit but I guess this engine allso has somethink characteristic in his noice. Or maybe im wrong and that was somethink I shouldn't hear.
Old 10-24-2019 | 08:02 AM
epenbecks

I heard a lot of problem come from the sensor that gets old. So maybe it

Quick Reply: 350z de oil pressure question