Notices
New Owners Welcome to the Family!

Newbie needs "Modding for Dummies"

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 12:40 PM
ANXIOUZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Newbie needs "Modding for Dummies"

I'm looking for some tips on getting started with modding my Z. I used to have friends in high school (10 years ago) that were really into it so I kept up on it then (mostly VW-related). But I don't really remember much now so I'm basically started with zero knowledge.

Are there any "Modding for Newbies" websites or books that anyone can recommend to get me started? I'm reading lots of mags but they all assume a certain level of knowledge that I don't yet have. I just need to get the basics down (like what intakes, exhausts, etc., do to improve performance and why).

Do most mod manufacturers have decent catalogues that go into detail about the products? The catalogues I've seen have all been very simple and didn't offer me any insight as to why "Item X" will improve performance, etc..

There aren't many tuner shops too close to where I live but should I seek one out and just bombard them with Q's? I know they'd hate that....

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-22-2004, 01:04 PM
wildone_106

I feel the same, Im somewhat in the dark about "how" as to who can do the mods like installing turbo's, intakes, exhausts and body kits in the pacific nw (seattle and portland) but I got a feeling someones gonna tell you to do a search..its all hush hush street knowledge..either your in the know or..
Old 11-22-2004, 01:22 PM
bryants95240sx

Best thing i can tell you to do is read,read,read,and read. or go out and get somes hands on experience. Thats the way i've learned im only 17, but know more than most kids my age. i have a 95 240 so its a lil easier to work on than the 350's but the fourm is your friend.
Old 11-22-2004, 01:29 PM
ANXIOUZ

Yeah, I figured as much. Any particular brands that people seem to like on the Z more than others?
Old 11-22-2004, 01:39 PM
ttsupra94

There is plenty of info on here. I have always been into cars in general but never really was incredibly knowledgable about exactly how engines work and what everything is. I am very hands on though and through reading on here and magazines and talking with people and installing things on my own, i have learned a great deal. I have an engineering degree too, which kinda helps haha. This place and other car forums are very very good places to look for info.
Old 11-22-2004, 01:40 PM
FLZ

Check out the links pages on all the forums........Most the shops that carry Z stuff there....Good Luck.....Half the fun I have is the challenge of finding the good mods....Dave
Old 11-22-2004, 01:54 PM
510dat

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a huge amount of info on this forum about this topic, but there's some good pointers.
1, are you looking for performance or looks?
2, are you willing to void your warranty?
The Z is an extremely well engineered car, basically you're getting close to V8 performance for the cost of a decent V6, and so most bolt on mods do very little for the Z (i.e. intake, if you're lucky, will get you ~3hp, exhaust, if you're lucky, won't LOSE you any hp or torque).

If you really want to bump up the horsepower, you need some serious cash and nitrous, supercharger or turbocharger, and building the internals is an extremely good idea, unless you like blowing up your motor. But again, this will void your drivetrain warranty.

Any serious engine mods may affect your emissions, if you can't pass SMOG, and cant register your car, it's not going to be much fun taking the bus around.

Suspension mods are plentiful, and anywhere between cheap and very expensive. Some just lower the car, some are more functional. Be aware that extremely cheap lowering kits will almost always need another kit to adjust the camber (preventing your wheels from leaning in), so list prices can be deceptive.

Brakes; There are a bunch of Big Brake kits out there, the price seems really high at first, but if you read the experiences of drivers who track their Z's, it's well worth the expense. There's no point in going fast, if you run off of the road.

Wheels; for performance, heavy is BAD, light is GOOD. Bigger = heavier. Bigger wheels +$$$ = not too much heavier. There are about a bajillion wheels out there, read up, get what you like and can afford. (Never Mind, you already did ) Spinners are strictly forbidden in all circumstances.

Again, there's a huge amount of info on this site, look around, ask questions, don't troll, and people will help you out.

Don't buy in to any manufacturer's hp claims; many exhausts claim to add 10-40 hp, but when put on a dyno, most gain a little hp on top, and lose some torque on the low end; some lose both. The NISMO one is the only one that actually gains both, but not much. Of course, if you are going to put a super- or turbocharger, the whole game changes.

Also, adding a "10" hp intake, + "20" hp exhaust, doesn't necessarily = +30 hp, even if the numbers are accurate, usually there's plenty of functional overlap.

Also, please please please don't put 20" spinners on it. We will be forced to hurt you.
Old 11-22-2004, 02:12 PM
ANXIOUZ

Very useful info. Thanks very much. I definitely don't want to void my warranty since I purchased the extended 7year/100k mile one. I'm only looking at simple stuff like interior tweaks, a body kit, and maybe an exhaust (more for sound than hp) and intake.

I really appreciate the info. You gave me some very good things to consider.
Old 11-22-2004, 03:17 PM
Built2shredZ

These are the guidelines i've always used when it came to modding my car.

Only go the Force Induction (Supercharger/Turbo) route if
1) You dont care if you void your warrenty
2) You dont mind paying for a new engine in case you have engine failure due to the Supercharger/Turbo
3) You have a second car to drive around in, in case something goes wrong with your Supercharger/Turbo

If any of the 3 items above bother you, I highly suggest you stay away from a Supercharger/Turbo. Main reason why supercharging or adding a Turbo is risky with cars, is because the engines were not designed to handle the extra stress caused from F.I. (Force Induction). Some people will say if you stay below 6 PSI you will be fine, but even at that low of boost you still have some risk.

Now for the Bolt Ons.... Most bolt ons only give you minor HP increases, such as Headers, Exhaust, CAI, Pullys, etc.... My suggestion (and im sure there are those who disagree) is to only install a Catback Exhuast and CAI to improve the sound of your car and give you a little extra umph... Then I would spend money on wheels, suspension then body kit in that order.

As far as brands goes, You really can't go wrong with Nismo if you don't mind spending the extra money for it. If your still under warrenty or have an extended warrenty, the Nismo parts will be covered by it. If you want to save some money you can go with other 3rd party manufacturers, but if something goes wrong with there parts you can't take it to the Nissan Dealership you will have to deal with the manufactor of the part.

Here's the steps I took to modify my 350zr

1) 19" SSR GT3 Rims
2) Nismo Suspension
3) Nismo Catback Exhaust & CAI
4) Stillen Body Kit

Usally you want to do the body kit last, because if you do it first it will look kinda of lame on stock rims and stock suspension.

Well hope that helps..
Old 11-22-2004, 05:15 PM
ImperialShadow

Maxium Boost by Corky Bell a must read if you plan on turbo charging
Secondly search(not just here), use the search button it is your friend chances are any question you might have, may already been answered
Old 11-22-2004, 09:58 PM
oren

what do you think of the injen intake race division Built2shredZ
Old 11-22-2004, 10:20 PM
Bubble
-REPLICA ARMY-

the question should be: HOW MUCH money you have left after buying the car? I would suggest with the rim first.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:01 AM
thor2822

bryants want part of alabama are you from? I live in birmingham and have been looking for a local connection.
Old 11-23-2004, 08:39 AM
maserom

Start with the basic stuff. Air intake and exhuast. If you like the the z sounds stock, go with Jim Wolf Technologies POP Charger $97 and the Borla Dual Exhaust $675.

Just my 2c Enjoy, you are never asking stupid questions on this site, that is what it is here for use it to your advantage.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:23 AM
LanceG33

Originally posted by wildone_106
I feel the same, Im somewhat in the dark about "how" as to who can do the mods like installing turbo's, intakes, exhausts and body kits in the pacific nw (seattle and portland) but I got a feeling someones gonna tell you to do a search..its all hush hush street knowledge..either your in the know or..
Well, trust me when I tell you there is no place in Portland that I would trust to put in a turbo . . . we have two established after market shops here and both are staffed by people I wouldn't trust to work on a bicycle let alone a car engine.

And, they seem only interested in working on Hondas.
Old 11-23-2004, 01:05 PM
ANXIOUZ

Originally posted by LanceG33
Well, trust me when I tell you there is no place in Portland that I would trust to put in a turbo . . . we have two established after market shops here and both are staffed by people I wouldn't trust to work on a bicycle let alone a car engine.

And, they seem only interested in working on Hondas.
Old 11-23-2004, 01:11 PM
palmerwmd

Originally posted by maximXL
For major work a road trip is always fun.

i used to drive to atlanta from louisville 350 miles each way, for quality work on my Q45s.

Fred..