Notices
NISMO 350Z The Limited Edition Best Handling Z Ever.

Nismos with nitrogen filled tires

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 10:05 AM
Bongo1210

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nismos with nitrogen filled tires

Hey guys, yesterday my tire pressure light came on. The previous owner of my nismo said that the tires are nitrogen filled, he is correct because my caps are green. He also told me that when the time comes for a tire fill up that a Nissan dealership will do it for free? Anyone know if that is correct? Also can you mix air with nitrogen or what?
Old 07-13-2011, 10:25 AM
Vivid Racing
Sponsor
Vivid Racing

Don't mix oxygen and nitrogen. Any tire shop should be able to throw some nitrogen in the tire, and if they try to charge you for it they suck at customer service.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:49 AM
Spork

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't mix, just get them filled.

Oh the joys of working with LIN.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:22 AM
AdvanZ33
Senior Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 189 Likes on 102 Posts

Frequently Asked Questions

Why Inflate with NitroFill™?
Compressed air is your tire’s worst enemy. Air is about 78% nitrogen, 21% oxygen, and 1% other. Nitrogen is inert, non combustible and non corrosive. Oxygen, on the other hand, is immensely destructive to rubber and other tire materials. As soon as a tire is manufactured and exposed to air, the effects of “oxidation” begin to deteriorate the rubber. Over time it loses its elasticity and strength, just like an old rubber band you’ve probably found around your home. This same process occurs in tires inflated with air as the oxygen attacks the rubber molecules, working from the inside out, until the oxygen, and its destructive properties, permeates the tire structure and ultimately the tread.

Is All Nitrogen Gas Equal?
No, the purity of nitrogen available from nitrogen generators generally ranges from 95% (low purity) to 99.9% (high purity). NitroFill™ generators can produce nitrogen in excess of 99.9% purity and provide the procedures to guarantee a minimum of 95% purity in the serviced tire, which is the minimum allowable purity that must be maintained in the tire to enjoy the benefits that nitrogen provides. Few generator manufacturers currently discuss this mandatory 95% threshold, as few are able to consistently provide the required purity to achieve it. But, as the market matures, your customer WILL learn –so don’t take chances with their safety or your reputation- fill them with NitroFill™ !

My Tires are Low! Now What?
Low tire pressure is generally due to one of the following three conditions:

A leak. Most tire leaks are the result of a hole or puncture, faulty valve, or a porous or corroded wheel.
Permeation. Permeation is the normal process by which the air in a tire bleeds through the tire’s body or carcass. It is typical for an "air" filled tire to lose 1-2 psi of pressure every month through normal permeation whereas it can take several months for a NitroFilled tire to lose a single pound of pressure.
Temperature Change. All gases expand and contract with temperature. If you live in an area that experiences dramatic temperature changes, you will have to adjust your tire pressure accordingly. Typically you will only have to adjust your tire pressure "up", adding pressure as ambient temperatures decrease. Count on losing about 2% of your total tire pressure for every 10 degrees in temperature reduction.
Participating NitroFill™ dealers will always check and correct your tire pressure with NitroFill™ for free during your membership period, and we recommend you have this done every 30 days if possible, or as often as your schedule permits. If you have NitroFill™ in your tires and do not have a leak, you should experience little or no pressure loss from permeation, but may still see pressure loss from seasonal temperature changes. While it is best to visit your NitroFill™ dealer for a free top off, it is fine to correct your tire pressure with regular compressed air for these normal and minor events without diminishing the benefits of NitroFill nitrogen filled tires.

If you have a "flat" tire or a situation where most or all of the nitrogen in your tire has been lost, you can also fill it with regular air if necessary, but we encourage you to visit your NitroFill™ dealer as soon as possible to have the tire(s) purged and refilled with NitroFill™ so you can continue to enjoy the benefits this product provides.

If you are a member of the NitroFill™ Auto Club most flat tires caused from road hazards, including tires damaged beyond repair, are covered, as is roadside assistance if your flat or damaged tire has left you stranded.

Will NitroFill™ improve the performance of the Tire Pressure Monitoring System on my vehicle?
Yes. NitroFill™ will help maintain proper inflation in your tires and reduce the number of faults detected by the TPMS.

Do I still need to check tire pressure?
Yes. But, you will find the tire pressure to be more consistent, even during dramatic temperature changes.

Should I put NitroFill™ in my spare tire?
Absolutely! Your spare tire is the most neglected tire on your vehicle, and if you need it you certainly want it to be fully inflated. Because NitroFill™ dramatically slows the normal loss of pressure through permeation, your spare tire will hold its proper pressure over a much longer period of time than if it was filled with regular air.

Is NitroFill™ compatible with my internal tire balancing product [powder, beads, fluid]?
Absolutely, in fact, you couldn't find a better operating environment for an internal tire balancing product than a tire filled with NitroFill™ , due to its dry, inert qualities.

Is nitrogen a safety hazard?
No. Nitrogen is an inert, noncombustible, nonflammable, non-corrosive gas. In fact, those are big reasons why nitrogen is used to fill the tires of vehicles that push performance limits under extreme conditions, including Formula One racers and heavy machinery.
Old 07-13-2011, 11:24 AM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

I agree doesn't seem like a hard decision!

If you don't wanna keep with nitrogen what the proceedure to switch back make sure you do it correctly and don't cheap out.
Old 07-13-2011, 02:59 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

You must put nitrogen in NISMO tires. Regular air is for commoners.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:27 PM
gidiup

Did you hit something? I've had nitrogen in my tires for years and never had to fill up. Nitrogen doesnt just leak out. Might want to get the rim checked.

Nissan will do it for an arm and leg. Go to a tire store and they will take care of you.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:56 PM
dcastillo819

Usually the nissan dealers have a one time pay for nitrogen services, and they are free for the rest of the life of the car. But I think that only applies to the person that bought the car and you have to take it back to that dealer. As dealers would lose out money and time if they just filled everyone and their moms car with nitrogen for free just because they say they have nitrogen. Its on record and filled. But if you can find the dealer that performed the service then they should be able to help you out.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:03 PM
Waiz
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

You will probably have to take it to the exact dealership that he purchased the intial fill-up from.

Normally they will charge between $50-$80 for the service if you go to another dealer.

Last edited by Waiz; 07-13-2011 at 04:04 PM.