Notices
NISMO 350Z The Limited Edition Best Handling Z Ever.

2007 Nismo - Questions on upgrades, fluids, and other basic stuff

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2012, 06:52 AM
Theras

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Nismo - Questions on upgrades, fluids, and other basic stuff

Hello,

I want to start by saying that I am happy leaving my car completely stock. I am also very ignorant when it comes to understanding how each part of the car interacts with other parts. I'm learning this stuff as the need arises. I've looked up many things myself but don't really know how to apply or interpret what I read. So, I'd like your input on a few things..

Easiest question.
Does your trunk release button actually release the trunk, or do you have to press the button and lift simultaneously? Mine clicks but won't come up far enough to become unlatched.

Upgrading stock parts during normal maintenance?
Should I replace any of the stock parts with aftermarket parts when the time comes? I don't mind spending a bit more to have a better/safer product.

- I know I'm going to need brakes soon. The stock ones work great for me, but would I be able to find ones that work better under the same driving conditions (to and from work, very little highway, lots of stop & go, no track). I've seen plenty of brakes that seem like they'd be better, but I don't know if it's overkill or not. And if I got aftermarket brakes, would it make sense to get new rotors at the same time? Or is the stock stuff fairly good for the price range?

I guess that was my only question, but it applies to all sorts of parts. Should I upgrade any hoses to a different type (braided steel versus silicone or something)? Should I replace the stock clutch fluid with a different type? What about the clutch master/slave cylinders. I saw somewhere that somebody recommended upgrading to a non-oem one. Is there anything that anyone can think of?

Hopefully this doesn't sound too sad, but I just hit 30,000 miles and know things are going to need replacing..and I'd like to keep the car running as good as I can.

I'm not dead-set on changing things. If the stock stuff is perfectly fine I'll keep it that way, but if I can make it a better car without spending too much more it'd be silly not to.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by Theras; 12-20-2012 at 06:55 AM.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:10 AM
R350Zz33

Originally Posted by Theras
Hello,

I want to start by saying that I am happy leaving my car completely stock. I am also very ignorant when it comes to understanding how each part of the car interacts with other parts. I'm learning this stuff as the need arises. I've looked up many things myself but don't really know how to apply or interpret what I read. So, I'd like your input on a few things..

Easiest question.
Does your trunk release button actually release the trunk, or do you have to press the button and lift simultaneously? Mine clicks but won't come up far enough to become unlatched.

Should I replace any of the stock parts with aftermarket parts when the time comes? I don't mind spending a bit more to have a better/safer product.

- I know I'm going to need brakes soon. The stock ones work great for me, but would I be able to find ones that work better under the same driving conditions (to and from work, very little highway, lots of stop & go, no track). I've seen plenty of brakes that seem like they'd be better, but I don't know if it's overkill or not. And if I got aftermarket brakes, would it make sense to get new rotors at the same time? Or is the stock stuff fairly good for the price range?

I guess that was my only question, but it applies to all sorts of parts. Should I upgrade any hoses to a different type (braided steel versus silicone or something)? Should I replace the stock clutch fluid with a different type? What about the clutch master/slave cylinders. I saw somewhere that somebody recommended upgrading to a non-oem one. Is there anything that anyone can think of?

Hopefully this doesn't sound too sad, but I just hit 30,000 miles and know things are going to need replacing..and I'd like to keep the car running as good as I can.

I'm not dead-set on changing things. If the stock stuff is perfectly fine I'll keep it that way, but if I can make it a better car without spending too much more it'd be silly not to.

Thanks for the help!
for the trunk use the penny trick costs from 2 cents to 4 cents depending on your needs.
everything else what do u do with this car what are your future plans for it
Old 12-20-2012, 08:17 AM
Kcee91

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Theras
Hello,

Easiest question.

Thanks for the help!
The trunk you have to press it while lifting the hatch up. Sometimes it stays closed, but you should pull up slightly while unlocking the button. The key fob will unlock the trunk completely.

Aftermarket parts are up to you. Most of them are pretty durable. If you end up going F/I just keep it stock till you do that because all of your NA mods will be useless. It's all up to you. The stock parts are fine and designed very well except the CSC. The only reason people upgraded to the wilwood reservoir was because the CSC they put in couldn't handle the pressure when installing the an upgraded clutch with higher clamping pressure.

The brakes just search around here. There are many brands such as Hawk, Endless, etc etc. The stock pads and brakes are fine. They come right off an R34 Skyline GTR. Unless your tracking, you won't need any bigger brakes.

The hoses are all up to you. Some are for aesthetic looks. Some people don't even bother upgrading unless there worn out. The clutch fluid I replaced when I boiled it last summer here. Just replace it with Motul RBF600. Stout fluid. Any aftermarket fluid is better than stock.

As for mileage, that's great. There is one guy here with his Nismo that has 75k+. Still running strong. I wouldn't worry about it.

Hope this helps!
Old 12-20-2012, 08:55 AM
JCITY
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Besides the answers to your questions that have already been offered,I'll
start by saying you seem a bit paranoid that your Z is gonna start falling apart
at 30K lol.Quite the contrary.Its just broken in!For the regular driving that you do,
just use regular stuff.No need to do costly upgrades.Changing oilseems to be
a big myth for many.Doing oil changes every 3K miles using premium oils like
Mobil 1 is really not going to prolong the life of your car.Sensible driving will.
I've used a 5w30 synthetic blend since I bought my Z 10 years ago.At 84K,it
uses no oil.The oil pressure is great.The car runs better than new.Geneneral things like brakes(rotors if you wait too long on changing your pads and damagethe rotors),
batteries,belts(usuallygood to around 60-70k miles)are stuff just to keep an eye on.
Chill out my friend.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:12 PM
NismoZ123

Trunk should rise up and become unlatched, there are 2 little bumper springs you can see (they look like ******) on either side of the trunk lid itself. Those have to be replaced??
Old 12-20-2012, 05:59 PM
Mike Anthony

My trunk has the same issue. The colder it gets outside the less often it opens properly.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:58 PM
R350Zz33

Originally Posted by NismoZ123
Trunk should rise up and become unlatched, there are 2 little bumper springs you can see (they look like ******) on either side of the trunk lid itself. Those have to be replaced??
you dont have 2 replace them i got my z 4 years ago a year after owning it the trunk diddent pop up enough to unlock pull the boots off that spring thing drop a penny or 2 in and bam works like a charm still
Old 12-21-2012, 03:41 AM
Trance4c

Theras - I like your philosophy on keeping the car as near to stock as possible, I personally believe the NISMO is perfect without large alterations. To answer your questions, the standard Brembo brake package is excellent. I would suggest replacing fluids in the car and a stainless steal clutch line. Many people have complained of issues with their clutch when a lot of the time it is just the fluid, the stock rubber line runs too close to the hot headers. RBF600 in the clutch line, ATE Superblue in the brake system. After that, the best mod is being a better driver. Good luck.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:04 PM
NismoZ123

I've heard that the pennies make the spring bumpers retract too far and impact the sheet metal in the lift..

Last edited by NismoZ123; 12-21-2012 at 02:11 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:07 PM
NismoZ123

It's also worth mentioning that you can 'refresh' your entire vehicle with new interior/exterior parts every few years and keep it in brand new condition.

A new interior is not really that expensive, and looks *great*!

Last edited by NismoZ123; 12-21-2012 at 02:10 PM.
Old 12-31-2012, 05:04 AM
Theras

Thanks a bunch for the answers everyone. Really appreciate it!

I hadn't heard of the penny thing, but if it's working like intended then I'm happy. Trunks on other cars I've had pop up completely when you press the button, so I wasn't sure.

I'll look into swapping the clutch fluid with the RBF600 and I'll see about changing the hoses out while I'm at it, if it looks like something I can do myself.

Thanks again for the responses. Y'all are my heroes.

Theras

Originally Posted by Trance4c
Theras - I like your philosophy on keeping the car as near to stock as possible, I personally believe the NISMO is perfect without large alterations. To answer your questions, the standard Brembo brake package is excellent. I would suggest replacing fluids in the car and a stainless steal clutch line. Many people have complained of issues with their clutch when a lot of the time it is just the fluid, the stock rubber line runs too close to the hot headers. RBF600 in the clutch line, ATE Superblue in the brake system. After that, the best mod is being a better driver. Good luck.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:17 PM
ibarra86

all right so I have a 2007 Nismo with 31K(bought in 2009 brand new), this monday my clutch completely failed, it wenat all the way down and never came back up. I checked the reservoir for the fliud and it was empty. So naturaly I checked the pedal and found fluid dripping, so I figured that its was cover under the warranty, so I started to take off all mods, well I found that the tranny was leaking fluid too so I really became alarmed. Long story short, the dealer won't replace anything because its not coverd under the "powertrain" warranty... So I did a little research and found that there was a recall for that slave cylinder. Any advise would help a great deal!!!
Old 01-18-2013, 03:51 AM
Trance4c

The CSC recall is only for 2007's which yours is, so check to see if your vin number is within this range:

JN1BZ34**7M500002 to 552786
JN1BZ36A*7M650021 TO 654836

More details can be found here:
https://my350z.com/forum/vq35hr/3281...-cylinder.html

The only available upgrade heavy duty CSC that I'm aware of:
http://www.zspeedperformance.com/ZSp...ZSPHDSLAVE.htm

Best of luck if that is your issue on resolving it.