The big bad nitrous post

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2003, 05:35 PM
12SecZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ZEX doesn't I had the bottle and had to buy the pressure saftey
vent valve.

And vent to where?

You missed the meaning of my whole post.
Old 08-19-2003, 05:17 AM
CarFanatic

I ran a zex kit in my civic, and it came with the burst disk. where u hook the blow down tube up to it has a disk in it. And if there isn't a blow down tube on the bottle, the nut thats over it has slits cut in it. So it will pop if the presure reaches over a certain point, and the n2o will come out through the slits. I'm positive all bottles have the disk. If they didn't they would be a huge saftey hazarad.
Old 08-19-2003, 05:18 AM
MySunset350Z

thanks for the info...

imma look for those plugs today...we'll c what happens.
i guess im gonna have to buy that warmer kit. it comes with the blow down tube so i might as well.

is this stuff hard to install? the idiots at the store wanted to charge me $900.00 for the install (not including bottle opener). the whole n2o setup isnt costing me that much. are these guys sick or what.
would i be able to do it myself? if i had an extra 900.00 lying around i would of held out for a bit longer til i had enough for the procharger.
Old 08-19-2003, 12:49 PM
12SecZ

You can do it but I wouldn't. It's wiring that gets me every time.
I guess I stand corrected on the bottle my *ex* friend is the one who told me I needed the safety valve and that never made since to me till now, I never needed it.
The pressure is 1500psi for a burst if it's hot. Every time you spray the bottle wil condense like a can of cold air. The bottle temp will go from 1000 lbs (perfect) to 600 in seconds and you will lose a couple tenths unless you can reheat that bottle.
FWIW I did the bottle heater myself it was easy, just power and ground. It's the module kit that is the hard part the bottle opener is power ground too! Open or closed that's it!
4 hours is the *standard* for labor charge for a basic kit your charge seems excessive.
4*60 = 240.00!
300-400 would be a good price for a standard kit here without any customizations.
Old 08-19-2003, 01:26 PM
MySunset350Z

is there a big difference between import n2o setups and american made n2o setups?
a buddy of mine just installed a 300 shot on his 97 viper. (he's a sick sick man)

if the setups are about the same, ill have to get him to help me. there's no way imma pay 900.00 for this.

detroit area is terrible with custominzing cars. only when it comes to imports ne way.
this is getting annoying already.
Old 08-19-2003, 01:47 PM
CarFanatic

The n2o kits are all the same wether it be domestic or import. There pretty simple to hook up. You do have to konw a bit abot wiring, and running the n2o lines, but not to terribly difficult.

Since you are in the detroit area. I'm familure with Tom payn, with Payn technologies. I'm sure he could install the kit for you. when I went up there for dyno time, he was working witha domestic shop since they had the dyno, I think it was called detroit speedworks??? I'm not 100% sure about that.

But check out www.payntechnologies.com Nice guys they should be able to help.
Old 08-19-2003, 02:30 PM
12SecZ

I've heard of Detroit Speedworks.

The person to chime in here is named McDan he is a ZEX DIY. There may be a few differences related to the ECU an the voltage wire and fuel system may be different than say an LS1. I would consider McDan an authortity on this subject after all he went through. The 4-an SS line to the rear you can do yourself using the brake line brackets and zip ties. If you knew an electrician you could save 200 300 bucks but is it worth it? I like a real clean customized install myself.

Isn't Detroit where all the domestic cars are made :-) ?
They make em but don't fix em in Motor City? Shop around bro 900 is insane.
Old 08-20-2003, 09:27 AM
Jspec350z

MySunset350Z Where are you located? I have gotten a few quotes on install. $260 and $200. I am in West Bloomfield and also need my Zex kit installed. Maybe they will give us a deal on 2 installs? What do yah think? Shoot me an email and I will try to work out a deal!! Maybe $175 a pc ..
Old 08-20-2003, 01:41 PM
CarFanatic

zex kits are the easiest n2o kits to hook up. if you have some mechanical knowledge you should be able to do it. I think there is a total of 3or 4 wires to hook up.
Old 08-20-2003, 09:20 PM
MySunset350Z

sounds interesting

im picking up the n2o kit tomorrow (thursday)
but i still need to find someone to instal it
im definately in on this if we can get a deal.

i live in detroit, and it really doesnt matter how far this place is as long as it saves me money on the instal.

did u get the basic kit only or with some added options?
that might add to the instal price.

either way...let me know.
Old 08-21-2003, 08:11 AM
Iezzi

Anyone Lean-ing out at higher RPM's
Old 08-21-2003, 09:44 AM
12SecZ

Edit after seeing the mod's post (after) Freedom of speach just watch what you say (that's a song title.)

Last edited by 12SecZ; 08-21-2003 at 10:23 AM.
Old 08-21-2003, 09:50 AM
McDan

Originally posted by MaxHax
I've heard of Detroit Speedworks.

The person to chime in here is named McDan he is a ZEX DIY. There may be a few differences related to the ECU an the voltage wire and fuel system may be different than say an LS1. I would consider McDan an authortity on this subject after all he went through. The 4-an SS line to the rear you can do yourself using the brake line brackets and zip ties. If you knew an electrician you could save 200 300 bucks but is it worth it? I like a real clean customized install myself.

Isn't Detroit where all the domestic cars are made :-) ?
They make em but don't fix em in Motor City? Shop around bro 900 is insane.
The only differences between nitrous kits on different cars are gonna be the triggering circuit to open the solenoids, and the fuel tap location. Different cars will have different full throttle indications. Most have a TPS sensor of some kind that will give an output voltage range based on throttle position. So an LS1 may range from 0-6V while the Z ranges from 0.7-4.5V. Nitrous kits vary based on whether they read the TPS voltage or just a switch at the gas pedal that closes on full throttle.

The ZEX kit is easy to hook up, if you know which wires to tap, AND THE UNIT ACTUALLY FUNCTIONS CORRECTLY (I went through 2 bad units before the 3rd actually functioned correctly). I had occasions where the unit sprayed as soon as the armed switch was on, even not at full throttle. And yes it was wired and programmed correctly.

Also, I dyno tuned mine and saw no leaning out anywhere in the powerband, but then again I was only running Zex's 75hp jets (+64rwhp).

Dan

I would recommend that anyone with the ZEX kit use both an additional manual floor pedal switch in conjunction with the TPS signal that feeds into the unit. The TPS input is good in case you forget to turn traction control (edit) OFF and the trac system closes the butterfly to gain traction.

Last edited by McDan; 08-22-2003 at 09:13 AM.
Old 08-22-2003, 04:48 AM
Jspec350z

McDan are you saying it is better to spray with the traction control on? I would think it is better to just use a window switch or only spray after 1st gear? Also in my journey down this road I was looking into just using a fuel presssure cutoff switch. From the shop manual it says our pressure at idle is 51psi any idea what switch to get? any suggestions or idea on this idea?
Old 08-22-2003, 09:10 AM
McDan

Originally posted by Jspec350z
McDan are you saying it is better to spray with the traction control on? I would think it is better to just use a window switch or only spray after 1st gear? Also in my journey down this road I was looking into just using a fuel presssure cutoff switch. From the shop manual it says our pressure at idle is 51psi any idea what switch to get? any suggestions or idea on this idea?
Oops, I meant Traction control OFF. I'm saying it would not be a good idea to spray with the traction control on in-case the trac system closes the butterly when it activates in addition to a fuel cut or however it controls wheel spin. If the trac system closed the butterfly, you may get puddling of nitrous or fuel as soon as it is opened again, if the solenoids are still spraying. So with just a hard pedal WOT switch, if you are at full throttle it's gonna spray. With the TPS hooked up, if the butterfly closes it will close the solenoids and stop the nitrous. Yes this potential problem could easily be elliminated by making sure the TRAC Control system is always off when spraying, but there's a chance you could forget. Hope I'm not making this more confusing.

I'm not sure what you are looking into a fuel pressure cutoff switch for. The fuel pressure would remain fairly consistent. Unless you mean to stop the nitrous if the fuel pressure drops because you're pulling too much through your jetting sizes. You could use a pressure switch between the solenoids and the injection nozzle to tell you when fuel (and thus nitrous) is flowing. Using pressure switches in this case is really the only way to know FOR SURE when the nitrous is spraying, other than your own butt dyno.

Dan
Old 08-22-2003, 02:49 PM
12SecZ

With ZEX I thought the fuel and N20 was controlled by the bottle pressure and module? When you spray you should be in a safe area and have TC Off. You need a mental check list to do each and every time you spray and make it religiuos. Ie. TC off, seat belt on, windows up, check all guages and bottle pressure and heat, make sure front is clear, helmet is strapped right if applicable etc as applied to your vehicle (mine does not have VDC.) This should be in your head like tying your shoes.
McDan did you recieve those jets I sent you? Peas and good luck J Spec!
Old 08-22-2003, 08:51 PM
Jspec350z

No the pressure switch would sense fuel cut. if the pressure droped belos say 49 psi it would kill the nitrous!! Basically turn it off until fuel pressure cam back. BTW Max did you pimp my out of some jets? Sent them to mcdan ?
Old 08-23-2003, 04:53 AM
12SecZ

No,

I had like 3 sets of 100's from Bottle Fed, you got the same set of 100's as he did , I sent him the 100's for free for what ZEX put him through. You can't get 100 jets from ZEX, so I bought extra's you got a set in your pack.
Old 08-23-2003, 06:27 AM
Jspec350z

Max I know!! I was just messing with yah
Old 08-23-2003, 03:02 PM
12SecZ

"Jspec350z Wish I had time to Mod!!"

Wish I had Mods to time!!

Quick Reply: The big bad nitrous post