Notices
North Central Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, Illinois , Indiana, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa

Detroit Area Z List part 3

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 03:31 PM
Jonny Boy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck, and make sure that when they send them back, they are the correct color.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:09 PM
slowish350z

Originally Posted by thekinn
Well, They offered to repair all of my wheels. They'll send them off to a local repair place (Alloy Wheel Repair) strip off the powdercoat, repair (if needed) and re-powdercoat. I'm not thrilled with this idea, however, I feel I have to give them the chance. I think if this did go to court now, the judge would side in their favor - since they have offered to repair.

Now, if the wheels come back from repair looking anything less than perfect - I can pursue other options with extreme confidence. Unfortunately this just means more time without the wheels on my car. Wish me luck. I'm dropping them off tomorrow.

I was gonna say take pictures of the quality of the wheels now.. just in case, you have something to show later in court.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:08 PM
h8bumps

Well, They offered to repair all of my wheels. They'll send them off to a local repair place (Alloy Wheel Repair) strip off the powdercoat, repair (if needed) and re-powdercoat. I'm not thrilled with this idea, however, I feel I have to give them the chance. I think if this did go to court now, the judge would side in their favor - since they have offered to repair.

Now, if the wheels come back from repair looking anything less than perfect - I can pursue other options with extreme confidence. Unfortunately this just means more time without the wheels on my car. Wish me luck. I'm dropping them off tomorrow.
I figured they'd offer -- they know they're wrong. A few things:

- Inspect the wheels after they mount the tires and balance them (and beforehand if possible). Don't be afraid to be critical. When the dealer f'd up my wheels, they had to send them out twice.
- Check for waviness around the lip (use sunlight to help detect surface waviness).
- Feel the surface with your hand, and check for roughness and contamination in the paint
- Most important, if you're not satisfied, get the manager to look at the wheels with you and show him why you're not satisfied. Compare them to wheels that are in their showroom.
- Don't use a potential lawsuit as a threat. I wouldn't even mention it -- I'd just file it if I didn't get resolution.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:29 PM
AznSky

ok so i gotta question for u guys:

when I go from 1st to 2nd, it sometimes feels like I have to go through 2 notches, like it clicks twice. This happens the majority of the time if I'm just trying to shift slow. But sometimes it'll just have a single notch like normal. And this only happens when I go into 2nd, it might have happened when I go into 3rd, but very noticable when going into 2nd.

Is this ok?? Sorry, a bit paranoid right now

edit: And I didn't notice this when I test drove the car. Maybe my uncle messed it up with his crappy clutching on the way back?

edit2: Just played around with it sitting in the garage, and 2nd is smooth as butter. Dunno, guess it only happens when driving. maybe I suck at driving.

edit3: And there isn't any "grinding", I don't think. It just not smooth

Last edited by AznSky; 04-14-2008 at 07:30 PM.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:10 AM
shifty711

Originally Posted by AznSky
ok so i gotta question for u guys:

when I go from 1st to 2nd, it sometimes feels like I have to go through 2 notches, like it clicks twice. This happens the majority of the time if I'm just trying to shift slow. But sometimes it'll just have a single notch like normal. And this only happens when I go into 2nd, it might have happened when I go into 3rd, but very noticable when going into 2nd.

Is this ok?? Sorry, a bit paranoid right now

edit: And I didn't notice this when I test drove the car. Maybe my uncle messed it up with his crappy clutching on the way back?

edit2: Just played around with it sitting in the garage, and 2nd is smooth as butter. Dunno, guess it only happens when driving. maybe I suck at driving.

edit3: And there isn't any "grinding", I don't think. It just not smooth

Mine was the same way.

Now I had the second gear notchiness, which is normal, and a grinding 5th gear, which was not. I had my transmission replaced for grinding 5th gear.

The new transmission that they put in the car ~ July 2007 was much smoother than the first transmission that I had.

But, I would say the magical 2 gated second gear shift, is normal.
Old 04-15-2008, 03:13 AM
Datona Jess

Good luck Steve!

HAHAH
I wonder if Rob is going to have to have is tranny replaced as well.
Old 04-15-2008, 03:46 AM
AznSky

Originally Posted by shifty711
But, I would say the magical 2 gated second gear shift, is normal.
that's all I wanted to hear......

I guess I'll play around and see if it "grinds". don't know exactly what that means.

And don't say tranny replacement, please....
Old 04-15-2008, 05:40 AM
thekinn

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Thanks guys. I do have lots of pictures. - and thanks for the advice h8bumps. I'll make a list of things to do when the wheels are ready to be picked up. I do plan on checking them out BEFORE they mount the tires.

Originally Posted by AznSky
that's all I wanted to hear......

I guess I'll play around and see if it "grinds". don't know exactly what that means.

And don't say tranny replacement, please....
You'll know 'grind' when it occurs. No mistaking. I've only done it a couple times and immediately apologized to my car.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:48 AM
Jonny Boy

You will know whan you grind. What you are experiencing is completly normal. I have it on my car as well.
Old 04-15-2008, 12:42 PM
h8bumps

Thanks guys. I do have lots of pictures. - and thanks for the advice h8bumps. I'll make a list of things to do when the wheels are ready to be picked up. I do plan on checking them out BEFORE they mount the tires.

You'll know 'grind' when it occurs. No mistaking. I've only done it a couple times and immediately apologized to my car.
Steve: I'd be more worried about checking the wheels after they're back on the car, but either way make sure you take your time checking them.

AznSky: yes, it's normal. I think my tranny double notches into every gear, but it definitely does it going into second.
Old 04-15-2008, 03:11 PM
MikeNT256

Red Bull Air Race is coming to detroit!! Who is planning on going to this? I'm planning on trying to do this and the Grand Prix again this year. Never been to an air race, but i've watched them several times on tv and it looks amazing!!!

Unfortunately I couldn't figure out how to buy general admission tickets, it only offered these "high flying" expensive *** tickets. Anyone else have any information on this they could provide?

http://redbullairrace.com/
Old 04-15-2008, 05:35 PM
shifty711

Originally Posted by MikeNT256
Red Bull Air Race is coming to detroit!! Who is planning on going to this? I'm planning on trying to do this and the Grand Prix again this year. Never been to an air race, but i've watched them several times on tv and it looks amazing!!!

Unfortunately I couldn't figure out how to buy general admission tickets, it only offered these "high flying" expensive *** tickets. Anyone else have any information on this they could provide?

I was also interested in checking this out. I wonder where on the riverfron this will take place.
Maybe I can find a foreclosed riverfront condo unit and we can camp out and watch from there. JK, no but serioulsy .
Old 04-15-2008, 05:49 PM
slowish350z

Well I'm taking the car to the dealer tomorrow... the infamous throwout bearing noise, is now worse.. sounding like rocks most of the time at idle, no grinding gears yet, and I also have the annoying *** clicking sound in the rear, I know these are common problems on the Z, and some people don't even care.. but it's annoying and on such an expensive car(at least for me it is), I expect more.

Anyone know any "good" Nissan dealers around here.. good as in, good customer service?
Old 04-15-2008, 05:55 PM
Jonny Boy

Both my dad and I are also very interested in going to this.

Mike K - Give me a call tomarrow. I have a house I want you to check out for me.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:06 PM
MikeNT256

Yeah let me know, i'm tryin to get as many car guys together as I can to go. I've already put it out there on the GTO forums. Haven't met anyone on the mazda forums really yet.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:40 PM
Shiawase

Originally Posted by MikeNT256

I just saw a commercial for this and I'm pretty interested...
Old 04-15-2008, 07:18 PM
07pearlwhiteZ

Originally Posted by slowish350z
Well I'm taking the car to the dealer tomorrow... the infamous throwout bearing noise, is now worse.. sounding like rocks most of the time at idle, no grinding gears yet, and I also have the annoying *** clicking sound in the rear, I know these are common problems on the Z, and some people don't even care.. but it's annoying and on such an expensive car(at least for me it is), I expect more.

Anyone know any "good" Nissan dealers around here.. good as in, good customer service?

Although I have heard otherwise from people, I had good luck at Suburban in the Troy motor mall when I had to take mine in for a service recall thing. I would just stay far far away from Tamaroff. I had a bad sales experience, and I really haven't heard anything good about them from anyone. There's also Dick Scott, which I've heard is awesome, but it's not right near me. I can tell you though, that Steve up at SLC used to work at Suburban Troy, and when they saw the SLC plate on my car, they were even more helpful than when I first got there. Can't remember the guys name, but talk to the service manager guy and tell him you know Steve, he should take good care of you.
Old 04-15-2008, 07:36 PM
slowish350z

Originally Posted by 07pearlwhiteZ
Although I have heard otherwise from people, I had good luck at Suburban in the Troy motor mall when I had to take mine in for a service recall thing. I would just stay far far away from Tamaroff. I had a bad sales experience, and I really haven't heard anything good about them from anyone. There's also Dick Scott, which I've heard is awesome, but it's not right near me. I can tell you though, that Steve up at SLC used to work at Suburban Troy, and when they saw the SLC plate on my car, they were even more helpful than when I first got there. Can't remember the guys name, but talk to the service manager guy and tell him you know Steve, he should take good care of you.
Yeah, that's where I was planning on going.. I guess the SLC stickers, and plate might help eh? lol Their service opens at 7am too.. Ill be there bright and early in the morning lol
Old 04-16-2008, 02:30 AM
Datona Jess

Dick Scott, and Suburban is your best bet.

I am going to the air show that is for sure.

Mike K if you can find one of those...hell charge admission
I'll throw the cooler and BBQ in the back and we can make a party out of it.
Seriously though the tickets will be around $30.00 for both days.
General admission tickets went on sale this morning.
Old 04-16-2008, 03:34 AM
shifty711

Originally Posted by slowish350z

Dick scott in Canton. Only Dick scott in canton.

I was denied a transmission replacement 3 times at suburban after having shop formans drive the car, arguing with the service manager. Left the car there for 2 weeks. They basically told me to **** myself.

I went to Dick Scott, I literally pulled out of the parking lot with the shop foreman in the car, he heard the grind one time and told me to pull back in, the car would have a new transmission in a week.

I was really impressed with them.

Suburban as a company is complete garbage. I used to work for them a while ago, I have had 3 different makes that I tried to service at their dealerships and the customer service was terrible at everyone.

I took my S4 to the dealer 2 weeks ago and I waited nearly 2 hours for an oil change.

I have never went to service anything there and work with the same advisor. The always have different employees there.

Quick Reply: Detroit Area Z List part 3