Notices
North Central Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, Illinois , Indiana, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa

Detroit Area Z List part 3

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 10:54 AM
blueper4mancez

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by D350Z10
Thanks guys!

^ No im done with the monoblock setup.

These are 19's and the rears weigh 26lbs, this time around I wanted a sick show wheel that would look mean as *** lol.
lols . look sick son i know you would come to the darkside (show) i told you to get new wheels a long *** time ago now you finally listened , remember hell no my nismo are the **** theyre so light lols . anyways congrats on the new purchase.

aj i was refering experienced as someone is doing driving for a living . i have no doubt that you could drive on the track ,come on man i've knownn you for 3 years hung out multiple of times i know what you made of .

this should be a fun event for all us that are intending . hey dil may be you should come as well and smell my smokes in the corners lols .

j/k
Old 12-05-2008, 06:13 AM
Datona Jess

Dil, they are going to look really good man!
What tire you going to stick on them??
Michelin PS2's is probably your all around best bet, they seem to have geat reviews...

Billy, I know bro I was just trying to razz you a bit in hopes that you will really come and have some fun bro. No offense taken, thats the problem with the internet. You never know the tone of the person...
Come on man I never say ANYTHING seriously... haha

I thought 3 ***** was an OTD only...
I can bring my father in law with me he holds the E prod record for that track he will be a great instructor, though the line may be different that he takes...having four wheel slicks and a TINY car help...If we REALLY need him I can ask
Old 12-05-2008, 06:41 AM
Jonny Boy

AJ - They do have instructors, but they are first come first serve bassis. They said the even is run more like an OTD than a HPDE.

Everyone - It looks like we can take anyone for rides providing they are old enough, sign a waiver, and have a helmet. At least thats way I remember reading on the site.

For anyone wanting to know the correct line to drive, I am sure you could ask Steve, me, or shiwase. We have all been there and drove enough laps to learn it I believe. We may not hit everything perfect but at least we could give you a good idea.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:05 AM
AznSky

Hmm....so I'll be the most underpowered car out of the group. Yes!! That'll make passing you guys even more bliss! haha j/k

But yea, this winter's purchase = swaybars / tires / pads

Can't wait!
Old 12-05-2008, 12:17 PM
Datona Jess

Johnny, the chances of getting an instructor will be like 10% man...
I wouldn't mind getting behind one though for a while, that is just as good to see the line.

Rob, power really won't have much to do with it man.
Make sure you get adjustable sways
Old 12-05-2008, 01:31 PM
D350Z10

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know yet what tires to get, Im leaning towards bfg's. The pilot sports can't hook for **** from a dead stop, but there sick in the corners
Old 12-06-2008, 06:46 AM
blueper4mancez

get the bfg since you don't track your car . i will only track my car once or twice next year so tires in the straight lines would be ideal . anyways there's no tires that will hook up in 1st with 600++whp fool .
maybe if you're on semi slicks .
Old 12-06-2008, 08:57 AM
Shiawase

Originally Posted by Jonny Boy
For anyone wanting to know the correct line to drive, I am sure you could ask Steve, me, or shiwase. We have all been there and drove enough laps to learn it I believe. We may not hit everything perfect but at least we could give you a good idea.
Gingerman makes an amazing beginner's track. There really isn't anything very technical about it except maybe two turns: 5+6 (which can be taken in a lot of different ways depending on your car and comfortability) and maybe 7 to 8+9 (slightly off the gas to let the car settle, and then back on the gas).

The other turns are really just brake, turn in, apex, accelerate out.

CGI Motorsports (HPDE) has posted their 2009 Season if anyone is interested in going for the slightly safer environment. I'm planning on doing Memorial Day again this year.

May 11, 2009
May 25, 2009 (Memorial Day)
June 8, 2009
June 22, 2009
July 6, 2009
July 20, 2009
August 3, 2009
August 24, 2009
September 7, 2009
September 21, 2009
October 5, 2009

Every Day on the calendar is (as always) a Monday.

http://www.cgimotorsports.com/school_schedule2005.html
Old 12-07-2008, 11:27 AM
mberthia

Originally Posted by thekinn
I couldn't care less if you all pass me at the track. My main focus is on my safety, driving, technique, and fun. The moment I start thinking about something other than MY driving - is when I start to make mistakes. Listen to your instructor, be safe, stay focused, have fun!

Here is a video clip of Gingerman for anybody interested-
https://my350z.com/forum/6634881-post113.html

I have only 5 OTDs, 2 HPDEs, and 2 auto-x sessions. An experienced Novice.
Looks good. I did not see any gear shifts but your signature says you have a MT ??? How could that be, I need to shift into fourth 3 times per lap. I might be up to go with you guys next year. I have a friend that has gone with 3ballsracing before. I'll have to check with him but I think he was not too impressed about the safety. Someone cut him off - passed him in a turn and they would not do anything about it. I double check, it could have been without another group.

Anybody planning to go with a trailer? I don't want to drive there on RA1's and since this track is very tough on brakes and tires I don't want to chew up my street tires. I try to keep those for the wet.

I also heard that Gingerman was lenghtening the track -don't know the details.
Old 12-07-2008, 03:12 PM
Jonny Boy

Originally Posted by mberthia
Looks good. I did not see any gear shifts but your signature says you have a MT ??? How could that be, I need to shift into fourth 3 times per lap. I might be up to go with you guys next year. I have a friend that has gone with 3ballsracing before. I'll have to check with him but I think he was not too impressed about the safety. Someone cut him off - passed him in a turn and they would not do anything about it. I double check, it could have been without another group.

Anybody planning to go with a trailer? I don't want to drive there on RA1's and since this track is very tough on brakes and tires I don't want to chew up my street tires. I try to keep those for the wet.

I also heard that Gingerman was lenghtening the track -don't know the details.
I am not Steve obvoisly, but I was there with him and I am sure he was instructed as I was. You are right, there are at least 3 parts of the track where we could shift to 4th gear. I hit the rev limiter so many times then ust let off. We had instructors in the cars with us and they informed us to stay in 3rd the whole time and work on driving the correct line, braking, entry and exit speeds. I was instructed that after I get these things down then work on shifting. The amount of time you can cut off your lap is very minimal by shifting to 4th gear. The techniques we were told to practice were the most critical for lap times.

Rob - AJ is 100% correct when he says power doesnt matter. It will depend mostly on the driver then the next biggest factor will probably be the tires your running on the car.

Last edited by Jonny Boy; 12-07-2008 at 03:15 PM.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:55 PM
mberthia

Then I would agree with staying in 3rd gear and feathering the throttle near redline as needed. I learned to heel and toe at Waterford and the first time there (and first time on a track), I was not even hitting the rev. limiter on the back straight so 4th was out of the question. First learn the line and then have fun with shifting. I agree that many times the time lost in shifting is not made up by going into a higher gear, but it's fun and part of the learning. I too like thekinn, tend to want to stay on the safe side and minimize risk. Sure it means I don't learn as fast but I just feel better about the risk/rewards level.

I attended a car control clinic at the Tire Rack facility. They have a skid pad with sprinklers were you can play with oversteer and understeed. I wish they let us play around on it for longer and that I had gone there sooner. Well now we can play in the snow - with the winter car.

PS. Saw a guy delivering Pizza on saturday in the snow with a 300ZX, hope he had snow tires but what a waste. Too nice of a car for putting a King's pizza sign on the roof...
Old 12-08-2008, 05:04 AM
jeff91ta

I think I saw the same pizza guy in the 300ZX on Rochester Rd., I think it was a white car with the big sign up top.
Old 12-08-2008, 06:39 AM
Jonny Boy

Originally Posted by Shiawase
Gingerman makes an amazing beginner's track. There really isn't anything very technical about it except maybe two turns: 5+6 (which can be taken in a lot of different ways depending on your car and comfortability) and maybe 7 to 8+9 (slightly off the gas to let the car settle, and then back on the gas).

The other turns are really just brake, turn in, apex, accelerate out.

CGI Motorsports (HPDE) has posted their 2009 Season if anyone is interested in going for the slightly safer environment. I'm planning on doing Memorial Day again this year.

May 11, 2009
May 25, 2009 (Memorial Day)
June 8, 2009
June 22, 2009
July 6, 2009
July 20, 2009
August 3, 2009
August 24, 2009
September 7, 2009
September 21, 2009
October 5, 2009

Every Day on the calendar is (as always) a Monday.

http://www.cgimotorsports.com/school_schedule2005.html
I was looking at their site as well, but do you know if all of these dates are being held at Gingerman? I thought they held the HPDE at many different locations.
Old 12-08-2008, 09:16 AM
Shiawase

I was looking at their site as well, but do you know if all of these dates are being held at Gingerman? I thought they held the HPDE at many different locations.
I'm not sure. I thought they held all their events at Gingerman.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:39 PM
Jonny Boy

That would be nice if they were. This way I might be able to make it out there a few times this year. Hoping for maybe 3.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:10 PM
Shiawase

That would be nice if they were. This way I might be able to make it out there a few times this year. Hoping for maybe 3.
CGI's website only talks about running Gingerman from what I can tell. They only have a link to Gingerman and the Ramada. I'm aiming for two CGI runs, but hopefully 4 track days overall.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:57 PM
D350Z10

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

anyone on here have a sick tire hook up?
Old 12-09-2008, 08:34 AM
blueper4mancez

^^ what's wrong baller ? i thought you got all the hook ups ?
Old 12-09-2008, 03:13 PM
Datona Jess

If your gonna get the DR
This time get the Mickey Thompsons, they are INSANLY sticky and will be the best BY FAR. BFG's don't heat up as well, and don't stick as much. Just my opinion. I have driven a car with BFG, he swapped to M/T and the difference was really noticable.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:16 PM
blueper4mancez

do they make DR in 19's ? great for straight lines performance for sure .

Quick Reply: Detroit Area Z List part 3