Notices
North Central Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, Illinois , Indiana, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa

Detroit Area Z List part 3

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 09:53 AM
AznSky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hai der!

So the forums have already gotten pretty slow, and it's not even snowing yet!

Anyways, what's everybody been up to?

For me, I've been trying to learn how to build a pc. I know a decent amount about cars, but don't have a clue when it comes to computers.

So my friend donated one of his old pc's to me and lately I've been playing around with it.

Here's the specs:

HP Pentium 4 2.6 Ghz
2GB Ram
128mb Video card with DVI output (swapped in my gf's older vid card until I get a monitor that has DVI input)
Didn't come with a hard drive so I took my gf's 60gb HD from her old Dell and put it in

So far I've learned how to swap out Hard Drive's and graphics cards. Learned about the power cables, PCI slots, and IDE cables. And just last night I was able to reformat the HD and install windows XP! Except I think I installed it twice so I have to re-do it again tonight lol.

Anyways, this might sound like nothing to most of you guys, but it's really cool to me. So if anybody has any spare parts you'd like to donate, please feel free!

I currently need: Monitor with DVI input (Missed a good deal on a monitor during black friday, but at that time I the computer wasn't working), greater than 128mb vid card

So far I've only spent $14 on power cables, and $20 on a wireless network card

My goal is to be able to build a pc so I can play Starcraft 2 when it comes out haha (nerd). But currently I'm trying to play Modern Warfare 2 cuz I played it on my friends comp and that game is freakin awesome
Old 12-01-2009, 11:05 AM
ODEHBOY

Who here drives a silver 350 with bbs LM lookin reps? i found it in U of M parking garage, while i was taking pics of my car, and i took some pics of it as well, i also left a note on who evers car that is haha.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:09 AM
ODEHBOY

teaser shots:

Old 12-01-2009, 11:15 AM
thekinn

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

I have power cables coming out my ***.. I've thrown more away than I can count... heh.. we used to have huge printer boxes filled with these at many of my old client sites.

I have lots of misc case screws if you need any, ide cables, ethernet cables. Most of the 'spares' that I have are too old to be of use.. like CDrom drives, sound cards, ethernet (cabled) cards, memory chips...

I do have an 8x AGP 128mb card that I just replaced - again this thing works.. but I replaced it because it's louder than my Shockwave exhaust .. ok exaggeration, but, the fans are annoyingly loud. I played a lot of Battlefield 1942 with it and even a NFS game.

I properly disposed of all my old 17" monitors (again.. too old and bulky to be of use really), printers, scanners..

So, basically, I don't have anything you can use. lol. My semi-expensive PC/Gaming hobby was replaced by a much more expensive Car hobby about 4 years ago.

I have built every PC I ever owned... and my technology is about 5 years old now... but gets me by just fine. I got hooked on AMD processors a while back just due to continued success and lack of issues - also ASUS motherboards.

I've installed Windows 3.1, 95, 98, 2000, XP about a billion times on all kinds of pc's, laptops, servers. It's still fun to do when it's your own stuff you are trying to get to work. Still waiting to see when the business world is going to take to Windows 7 - which I am pretty sure will happen soon since the life-cycle on XP is coming to a close (ie. Microsoft won't support it any more). So.. I know I'll be building a new PC.. maybe within a year (but I have so many things I want to buy for the car.. priorities.. arg..)

Ok.. I guess that's the end of my PC career rant. Good luck with your build. Let me know if you need anything. I'm not as versed on the newer stuff, but, can be quickly.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:28 AM
sig11

Yeah I've got a big box full of miscellaneous cables and old parts. If you need any help or odds and ends let me know. :P

I have like 3 generations of motherboard/cpu/ram from past upgrades just sitting around too. So if you need an Athlon XP 2600+ or an X2 4200 I've got you covered. I finally gave up on AMD after the X2 and switched back to Intel.

As much as I hate to say it... don't buy local when it comes to computer stuff. I only go to Microcenter when they have an amazing sale or I need it NOW. Stick to sites like newegg and you're getting very close to wholesale. (at least that used to be the case when I did this stuff 10 years ago)
Old 12-02-2009, 07:32 AM
AznSky

any of you guys have a dvi -> vga cable? I wanna install the graphics card but it only has dvi output, and the monitor I have now only has vga.

I missed a good monitor deal (22" Acer 1980 x 1080 for $120) so I'm waiting on another deal to pop up.
Old 12-02-2009, 08:33 AM
Phreakdout

Originally Posted by AznSky
My goal is to be able to build a pc so I can play Starcraft 2 when it comes out haha (nerd). But currently I'm trying to play Modern Warfare 2 cuz I played it on my friends comp and that game is freakin awesome
MW2 is awesome! Anytime you want, come on over and try it on the XBox and the 133" screen. Although, lately I've been hooked on Forza III. Again, another awesome game on an insane sized screen. The in car view is life-sized. Now I just need the racing seat and wheel.

Good luck on the PC build. If you need any 4mb SIMM sticks of ram or 120MB hard drives, I probably still have them. Although I think the Smithsonian Museum wants them.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:07 AM
Phreakdout

Originally Posted by sig11
Ahhh I've been looking for someone to go shooting with.

I have a couple .22's I haven't shot in months.
Sweet! Tomorrow, I will pick up a Remington 700 BDL in 30-06. Unfortunately, the rounds are kind of expensive retail. $1-1.75 per round. More if I need the teflon coated armor piercing rounds. (J/K)

I ended up not going with the one pictured above. LOL - Ali you kill me.
This one is more Deer rifle than the tactical rifle above.

LMK where you go shooting. I'll be itchin' to try this out.
Old 12-02-2009, 11:15 AM
AznSky

PAYED OFF B*TCHES!!!!

Brian I liked the tactical one more......

lol I had to re-read when you wrote 120 MB, not GB? I'll definitely have to come challenge you in Forza......I'm usually pretty good at racing games
Old 12-02-2009, 12:50 PM
thekinn

Default dvi/vga converter

Hey Rob. Do you just need a dvi/vga converter? Like this one -

I have an extra one I can spare. I may be in livonia in the next day or two, maybe we could meet up or something. Otherwise.. I'm in Ferndale.
Attached Thumbnails Detroit Area Z List part 3-dvivgaconv.jpg  
Old 12-02-2009, 01:10 PM
sig11

Originally Posted by AznSky
any of you guys have a dvi -> vga cable? I wanna install the graphics card but it only has dvi output, and the monitor I have now only has vga.
I've got a couple spares too. I am also in Ferndale. :P
Oh... if you need the whole cable look at monoprice.com. I bought a 9m DVI->HDMI cable for $12 a couple years ago.

Originally Posted by Phreakdout
MW2 is awesome! Anytime you want, come on over and try it on the XBox and the 133" screen. Although, lately I've been hooked on Forza III. Again, another awesome game on an insane sized screen. The in car view is life-sized. Now I just need the racing seat and wheel.
I really liked Forza II. Is it worth it for Forza III? I bought the wheel just before I quit playing it...
Old 12-02-2009, 02:19 PM
AznSky

yea a converter would work just fine.

I could buy one online for $8 but I'm cheap

Although the cost of gas for me to drive the 4runner from AA to livonia would probably be close to that haha. Steve which day will you be there? Give me a call ahead of time and let me know Thanks!
Old 12-02-2009, 04:33 PM
Phreakdout

Originally Posted by sig11
I really liked Forza II. Is it worth it for Forza III? I bought the wheel just before I quit playing it...
I never played I or II. From what I hear, III was a big step up. The car's physics seems pretty good and the graphics (IMO are great.)

Rob: I may have a DVI / VGA cable at work. I'll check tomorrow. None of our monitors are DVI.

I liked the looks of the tactical more than this one. However, that was a Remington 770 where this one is a 700. The 700's are far better. 770's sell new with a cheesy scope for $450. The 700's go new for $800 to $1000. The bolt action is super smooth and the rifle is very accurate.

RE the 120MB hard drive - Yup! It was a Maxtor IDE drive from 1991. It was the upgrade option when I bought my first desktop. A 386/33 with a 4MB VGA card, 8MB of RAM, a 3.5" HD floppy and a 14" Sony Trinatron color monitor. All for $3,500! Heck, that hard drive probably still has Windows 3.0 and a copy of the original Leisure Suit Larry game. LOL
Old 12-03-2009, 04:18 AM
Jonny Boy

http://www.gingermanraceway.com/season-updates

I really like the added section to turn 10, I am not to sure I like what they are planning for turn 11. Turn 11 is already close to the wall, and now it will be a faster turn which exits even closer to the guard rails. On the otherhand I think it would be a lot of fun to run CCW with the new set up.
Attached Thumbnails Detroit Area Z List part 3-newexpansionmap.jpg  
Old 12-03-2009, 05:45 AM
thekinn

Originally Posted by Jonny Boy
... it would be a lot of fun to run CCW with the new set up.
What does carrying a concealed weapon have to do with racing Gingerman? Shoot the slow guys? Hunt rabbits while apexing?
Old 12-03-2009, 06:49 AM
mekatoka

Default Racing Games online?

I have both Forza II and Forza III, the new game is really a step up. I have recently bought Obutto Racing Cockpit and am waiting for the delivery. It should be in by next week.

If any of you guys play online, let me know we should play ... it will be fun. I have both PS3 and Xbox360. One other game I will definitely buy is GT5. I already have GT5 prologue.
Old 12-03-2009, 06:53 AM
Datona Jess

Holy computer talk batman....

I am like you Rob, I have NO idea what I am doing with computers. on a positive note I do work for a tech school so I get mine worked on by the tech guys for free which is nice. As a matter of fact I am going to get mine redone here soon...hahah

Johnny, that will be fun, I love it when they do little changes to tracks!!!

Brian-nice rifle man, and Forza 3 is awesome though Gran Turismo will always be my favorite. I cannot wait for 5 to come out, it is going to be amazing from what I have seen.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:38 AM
Jonny Boy

Originally Posted by thekinn
What does carrying a concealed weapon have to do with racing Gingerman? Shoot the slow guys? Hunt rabbits while apexing?
It has nothing to do with it, but I have absolutley nothing to contribute to the computer talk, and I thought some of the guys on here might be interested.

There is also the discussion of racing games which has nothing to do with building computers either.

As far as computers go, I just bought a Mac and it is awsome. (my computer contribution just for you Steve)

I have Forza II, just bought Forza MS III, and I absolutley love the game. I am going to try and get the stuff so I can also play online with some of you.
Old 12-03-2009, 08:42 AM
Phreakdout

Originally Posted by thekinn
What a great idea!!!! I can finally combine two hobbies into one!
Old 12-03-2009, 09:05 AM
amsyed84

Originally Posted by ODEHBOY
teaser shots:

Vitmn Z lol nice....

Quick Reply: Detroit Area Z List part 3