Notices
North Central Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, Illinois , Indiana, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa

Detroit Area Z List part 3

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 12:18 PM
Phreakdout

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cturnbull802
i actually got a magnaflow x pipe muffler to go into the greddy Y pipe. havent had time to mess with it yet. should eliminate most if not all of the rasp.

if you dont want rasp dont run test pipes simple as that.
I'm running the Greddy EVO2 system with resonated test pipes. Personally, I think it sounds wicked as hell. There is a slight bit of rasp on wide open throttle. Cturnbull; you are correct. I've designed exhaust systems for 17 years and my next move was to add the X-Pipe between the Y and the front resonators. Like you, I haven't had the time either. With the X-pipe, I'm sure it will be the best sounding system.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:44 PM
AznSky

I currently run Crawford HFC's with HKS. I'm a baller.

lol j/k. But if I were you I'd try to hear everybody's exhaust before you decide on one.

And yes, I kind of regret spending over $1k on just a catback......but then I wouldn't be JDM y0!
Old 11-04-2009, 01:09 PM
cturnbull802

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

being jdm > everything else
Old 11-04-2009, 01:19 PM
ODEHBOY

I think im just gonna go with HKS true duals then. Used that is lol
Old 11-04-2009, 04:37 PM
Datona Jess

HKS with HFC's does sound really good.
Also it WILL sound different.

The HR has a more agressive cam timing, and it is a louder exhaust once you open it up.
It also has more aggressive and longer exhaust mainfolds which changes the sound over the old DE motors.

So your car will sound unique
Personally though I LOVED the sound of my old HR Z
Non resinated TP's with a Greddy EVO2 it sounded like a damn indy car once you got about 4000 RPM...I miss that damn car.

Find one used and bargain with them, there are so many used and the market is about to be flooded with them as winter comes along.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:45 PM
rwm10

I just installed some TurboXS test pipes with the Motordyne Shockwave exhaust. It's loud. Some might say ridiculously loud. But it's awesome, and simple, with nice v-band clamps.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:09 AM
Datona Jess

WOW
I bet you hav the loudest car here now...
Get some Headers...hahahah man I bet that is annoying loud though...
Old 11-05-2009, 05:22 AM
thekinn

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by rwm10
I just installed some TurboXS test pipes with the Motordyne Shockwave exhaust. It's loud. Some might say ridiculously loud. But it's awesome, and simple, with nice v-band clamps.
My Shockwave setup was good for one season. I'm kind of annoyed by it now (especially during normal street driving). I will be looking to calm it down before the start of next season. I'll either swap out the whole thing or get the Motordyne VQ muffler to swap with the Shockwave - so I'll have two exhausts to go between when I want to.

I do love it on the track though. Having the helmet on to muffle the noise is nice - and sounding like a freight train on the track is priceless .

It's also a blast through the 696 tunnels.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:32 AM
ODEHBOY

Originally Posted by Datona Jess
HKS with HFC's does sound really good.
Also it WILL sound different.

The HR has a more agressive cam timing, and it is a louder exhaust once you open it up.
It also has more aggressive and longer exhaust mainfolds which changes the sound over the old DE motors.

So your car will sound unique
Personally though I LOVED the sound of my old HR Z
Non resinated TP's with a Greddy EVO2 it sounded like a damn indy car once you got about 4000 RPM...I miss that damn car.

Find one used and bargain with them, there are so many used and the market is about to be flooded with them as winter comes along.
Ya I did notice that the exhaust tone is way different, and theres a difference from my 06. but i don't want a too loud exhaust, cause thats one of the reasons i sold my agency exhaust. I think ill go with the HKS or Greddy to go along with my berk HFC's.

thanks for ur help btw. Im trying to drive my car as long as i can before winter comes

and i didn't even get a winter car yet.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:47 AM
Datona Jess

^^^
That was the best part about the EVO2 it is nice and quiet at low RPM.
It does not resinate until abuot 3500-4000 RPM so it is quiet when you are cruising at 80 on the highway..all day. I took MANY long trips in the car with NO problems with noise, etc..

Keep in mind I also had TP's so your will be even MORE quiet

Hey man I drive my Z's and G's year round.
Get some kitty litter and snow tires man! car is a tank in the snow
Old 11-05-2009, 09:07 AM
skingy

i dunno...i rather like my RTP's and stock exhaust. ha! j/k. i'll be looking for a used catback soon.... i'm leaning toward the EVO2. i loved how brian's car sounded when i was behind him, and we both have DE engines. although, the Top Speed system looks like a greddy look-alike with a $400 new price tag. so far, my top speed tp's are holding up well.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:31 PM
sig11

Originally Posted by AznSky
I currently run Crawford HFC's with HKS. I'm a baller.

lol j/k. But if I were you I'd try to hear everybody's exhaust before you decide on one.

And yes, I kind of regret spending over $1k on just a catback......but then I wouldn't be JDM y0!
hahah I just spent $1200 on the new FI catback for my 370. It was supposed to be shipped this week but they got behind due to shipping damage.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:42 PM
rwm10

Originally Posted by thekinn
My Shockwave setup was good for one season. I'm kind of annoyed by it now (especially during normal street driving). I will be looking to calm it down before the start of next season. I'll either swap out the whole thing or get the Motordyne VQ muffler to swap with the Shockwave - so I'll have two exhausts to go between when I want to.

I do love it on the track though. Having the helmet on to muffle the noise is nice - and sounding like a freight train on the track is priceless .

It's also a blast through the 696 tunnels.
The sole purpose of my car is a track toy, so I don't have to worry about the daily drivability of it. I don't mind the volume, it's that the overall tone is a bit harsh. I'm considering buying the small resonator for the y-pipe in hopes that it rounds the sound out a bit more.

What pads do you run at the track?
Old 11-06-2009, 03:22 AM
thekinn

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by rwm10
The sole purpose of my car is a track toy, so I don't have to worry about the daily drivability of it. I don't mind the volume, it's that the overall tone is a bit harsh. I'm considering buying the small resonator for the y-pipe in hopes that it rounds the sound out a bit more.

What pads do you run at the track?
If you have the XYZ pipe, you can get a resonator to fit inbetween the XYZ and the mid-pipe. It does mellow out the sound... don't get me wrong it's still a beast at WOT.

I will be doing my Brembo swap in the Spring - then I'll be using Hawk DTC-70. So, with my stock brakes I ran...

OEM - before I could drive with a reasonable amount of skill - can't review.. But we know this isn't a real track pad.

Project Mu B-force - Did OK. Did fade after a few laps. When I removed them, one rear pad broke apart (with still about 3-4mm on it). These lasted for a few track days.

EBC Yellow - No fade, only lasted 1 track day (4 sessions at Waterford)

Carbotech xp-8 - Continuous fade at Grattan after 1 lap, sporatic fade at Gingerman. Still have meat left on these after two track days.

Last edited by thekinn; 11-07-2009 at 03:21 AM.
Old 11-06-2009, 04:50 AM
lbk16

I ran Hawk DTC-60s at my last track day (at Gingerman) and they were awesome.
Old 11-07-2009, 08:40 PM
amsyed84

anyone know what this part is called.

Last edited by amsyed84; 11-07-2009 at 09:52 PM.
Old 11-07-2009, 08:55 PM
doublej

lower a arm??
Old 11-08-2009, 05:42 AM
rwm10

Originally Posted by thekinn
If you have the XYZ pipe, you can get a resonator to fit inbetween the XYZ and the mid-pipe. It does mellow out the sound... don't get me wrong it's still a beast at WOT.

I will be doing my Brembo swap in the Spring - then I'll be using Hawk DTC-70. So, with my stock brakes I ran...

OEM - before I could drive with a reasonable amount of skill - can't review.. But we know this isn't a real track pad.

Project Mu B-force - Did OK. Did fade after a few laps. When I removed them, one rear pad broke apart (with still about 3-4mm on it). These lasted for a few track days.

EBC Yellow - No fade, only lasted 1 track day (4 sessions at Waterford)

Carbotech xp-8 - Continuous fade at Grattan after 1 lap, sporatic fade at Gingerman. Still have meat left on these after two track days.
That's interesting about the xp-8s. I ran those in my WRX and didn't have a single problem with them. When I got my Zed I called Carbotech and spoke with them (did the same with the WRX) about what pad to run and they said xp-10s in the front 8s in the rear. After only one track day at Grattan I've had no problems, but then again I was taking it easy learning a new car. My Dad has the 10s and 8s in his STi and my friend with a Z06 has been running 10s all around for a few years without a problem. I've become a big Carbotech fan personally.

Oh and I was referring to that resonator section for the XYZ pipe. I take it you have it installed?
Old 11-08-2009, 02:07 PM
Phreakdout

Originally Posted by amsyed84
anyone know what this part is called.

It's called the compression rod. The manual's drawings are pretty bad. The transverse link (next to it) has the front shock's lower mount on it.
Old 11-08-2009, 02:48 PM
amsyed84

If anyone has these parts that they want to sell please let me know i will buy them off you.

2005 Nissan 350z

Core Support : comes in three pieces
Radiator & Radiator Fans
Wind Shield wiper Bottle & neck
Radiator Hose
Impact Bar
Sway Bar Links: brackets that hold the sway bar in place
Driver Side Headlight Brace
Hood Latch
AC Condenser
Transmission Line : from radiator
Power Steering Pump with Pulley