Notices
North Central Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, Illinois , Indiana, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Iowa

Zdayz caravan?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 01:29 PM
thekinn

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Zdayz caravan?

I know there was a caravan last year. Any plans to keep this going two years in a row? This is my first Zdayz and I'm leaving on Wednesday..

OH, IL, WI, ??
Old 04-28-2011, 02:55 PM
sig11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in! I think you're volunteering to organize by posting this. hehe
Old 04-28-2011, 05:49 PM
push

Us cincy guys meet at the first rest stop off 75 once you cross over into kentucky around exit 8-9. We meet there around 10am, and roll out by 10:30. We stop around exit 119-120 for lunch.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:03 PM
Phreakdout

Originally Posted by push
Us cincy guys meet at the first rest stop off 75 once you cross over into kentucky around exit 8-9. We meet there around 10am, and roll out by 10:30. We stop around exit 119-120 for lunch.
Are you headed down on Wednesday? If so, we'd be happy to meet up. I know that exit well. Huge rest stop South of Florence.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:37 AM
Phreakdout

I guess I will combine the threads and hopefully folks will follow this one.

There is a thread on G35Driver.com LINK HERE

If you know of another caravan thread on skyline owners club or 300ZX.com please let me know and I will try to pull everyone together.

Wednesday Caravan Caravan Leader = Great Lakes Z Club President Phreakdout (Brian)

> The caravan will start in Michigan. (Depart Time to be set.)
> We will meet up with Push and Jesse at the first southbound rest stop in KY. (Florence) Time to be set.
> We are headed down I-75 so we can meet with other folks anywhere along the way. For example, last year we picked up PulpZ2 in Dayton and met up with a huge crew in Lexington, KY.

Thursday Caravan Caravan Leader = Ohio G-Club President Gadabout on G35driver.com

I will post up their details shortly and help coordinate with other sites.

Please cut and paste yourself into the list below:

Wednesday:
1. Phreakdout (350Z Roadster)
2. TheKinn (350Z)
3. Sig11 (370Z)
4. BobaFettm (Lotus Exige)
5. Push - Corvette
6. Jesse - 240 poop coupe

Thursday morning
1. Gadabout
2. MRRJP3
3. Procustom_g35
4. Dal35
5. BuckeyeG
6. Carsontl
7. Charles

Last edited by Phreakdout; 05-05-2011 at 09:40 AM.
Old 05-05-2011, 02:34 PM
push

Originally Posted by Phreakdout
Are you headed down on Wednesday? If so, we'd be happy to meet up. I know that exit well. Huge rest stop South of Florence.
Yes sir, and yep thats the one. Think it has some museum at it too. What time you all think you will be rolling through? It seems in years past the people from up north get there around 10-11, but we're flexible. Driving a caravan is half the fun.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:36 PM
Phreakdout

Yes sir, and yep thats the one. Think it has some museum at it too. What time you all think you will be rolling through? It seems in years past the people from up north get there around 10-11, but we're flexible. Driving a caravan is half the fun.
It takes us a good 4 hours to hit Florence. Last year, we were a little delayed by one member who was late getting to the start point and later he got a ticket. LOL

This year, I'd like to hit the road by 6am, roll into Florence by 10am and then hopefully meet with others in Lexington by 11:15 - 11:30am
Old 05-08-2011, 05:52 AM
BobaFettm

Count me and Trev meeting everyone in Florence or where ever!
Old 05-08-2011, 06:12 AM
push

Originally Posted by BobaFettm
Count me and Trev meeting everyone in Florence or where ever!
Weds morning?
Old 05-08-2011, 04:31 PM
BobaFettm

Aye Wednesday merrrnin'! But seriously I can't hold up if y'all cats do the 120-140+ again like the rally back home last year lol... I watch my gas go from a pretty 30-35mpg to like 10... I enjoy a nice smooth 80 and jumps to 90 in full-sight-no-cop areas
Old 05-08-2011, 09:07 PM
Phreakdout

Thumbs up

Weds morning?
Still on track for Wednesday Morning Departure from Michigan.

Aye Wednesday merrrnin'! But seriously I can't hold up if y'all cats do the 120-140+ again like the rally back home last year lol... I watch my gas go from a pretty 30-35mpg to like 10... I enjoy a nice smooth 80 and jumps to 90 in full-sight-no-cop areas
No crazy speeds on the way down. Last year, Deepu was the only one who got pulled over on the way down. Claimed to the officer that he had to go to the bathroom.

Since Steve, Lee and you all live on the Northeast side, it doesn't make any sense to meet on I-275. You will want to go straight down I75.

MEETING LOCATION: May 18th at 6:00 am I-75 Exit 18 Travel America (BP) Gas Station.

Have your fuel filled, breakfast purchased (or consumed) and ready to leave by 6:15am. We will target to be at the Florence, KY rest stop by 10:15-10:30am. There is a McDonald's on this stop. There is also a Denny's if someone has time to kill. The gas station should be open 24 hours. Please don't pick up any lot lizards from the truck stop.

Everyone travels at their own pace and I respect that completely. I don't want to drag anyone who is uncomfortable with higher speeds and I don't want to hold up anyone with a lead foot. It's most fun to travel as a pack so I propose to keep it to a max 80mph.

My average speed in Ohio is around 75-77 mph. If I see that cops are out in force, we'll do 73-75. Ohio people never get out of the left lane and a truck doing 61 mph will always take 10 miles to pass another truck doing 60mph. Long and short of it, it's really hard to speed in Ohio anyway.

What to Bring ...

If you have them, please bring walkie talkies. We'll coordinate channels at the gas station. These were a blast on the way down last year. We must have had 8 or 9 people with them. Some of the comments were hysterical going through Pigeon Forge.

Bring Water or something to eat on the road.

Bring sun tan lotion. The rising sun will be harsh on the driver and in the afternoon will cook the passenger. For me, I will have the top down so I'm screwed any time of day. Seriously, in the mountain elevations, the UV is more intense.

We don't stop often. Derek, you may have to let us know when your Lotus needs another 9 gallons of gas.

After leaving Monroe, MI; the next stop is:

Stop #2: US Highway 127 / US41: Exit# 180 after crossing into Kentucky.
When you pull off the interstate, turn LEFT (East) and cross the interstate. There will be a BP on the right. We will gas up here before the meet location at the rest area which is just 3 miles away. The bathrooms at the rest stop are much better than the BP.

Stop #3: (No exit # - Around mile marker 177.) 1st Rest area Southbound I-75 in Kentucky.

Here we will meet with Push (Blue Vette) and Jesse (Well modified 240SX). If there is no one else joining, we will move out. Target to be here by 10:15 to 10:30am.

The next stop depends on if we are meeting anyone else. Lexington is a good place to meet other caravans. If no other meets, let's keep going as long as possible.

Stop #4 Optional for Lunch if we don't meet up with anyone in Lexington: Exit #160 I-75 in Tennessee St Rt25W 5th Street - Jellico, TN
Take Exit 160 and turn right. There is a BP station on the right that has a Wendy's and a Fireworks Store. (I can see Trevor getting into trouble there.)
Grab a quick lunch here and hit the road. The next stop is Fontana Village (After we go through the Dragon.)

> Continue I-75 South towards Knoxville, TN
> Right after Exit 108, I-75 will merge with I640 (Bypass) Take the right exit and merge on I-75 / I-640 towards Nashville / Chattanooga Right Lane Exit Only. Take this exit.
> After Exit #1, I-75 / I-640 ends. It will split. You want the right split which is I-75S / I-40W to Chattanooga / Nashville
> At Exit 368 I-40W and I-75 South Split. You want I-75 South toward Chattanooga. This exit is on the LEFT.
> Take the next EXIT #81 on I-75S RT321 Lenoir City
> At the end of the Exit, turn LEFT
> USE CAUTION WHEN DRIVING THROUGH LENOIR CITY. POLICE WRITE A LOT OF TICKETS ON RT-321. Follow my pace.
> We will stay on RT-321 for a while. We will cross a dam and be on a divided highway for about 20 minutes. This will roll into Maryville. (Pronounced Mare-Vull by Southerners) > After we cross Broadway (You will see a large Government building on the left) there is a Junction 336 Sign. Get in the right lane.
> At the next light, turn RIGHT onto Montvale Road (Route 336)
> This is a two lane residential area. If you are short on gas, make it known. This is your last chance for inexpensive gas. There is an Exxon Gas Station on the left about 1 mile up the road, a BP then a Shell station another mile further.
> Stay on Montvale Rd / RT336: We will get out of town but keep following this road. For those with GPS, you will see Montvale split right (into a gravel road) and RT336 turns in to Happy Valley Road. Stay on the main road / pavement.
> Cross over Foothills Parkway.(You can take this but the local road is more fun with less tourists.)
> We will pick up the pace slightly here. Happy Valley Road climbs a big hill with 180 degree turns. The lowered will need to take the radii carefully as pavement is uneven.
> When you cross through a tiny tunnel, you have reached the top and are now headed down the back side.
> There are residents in this area. Be careful of dogs, inbred kids / cousins and banjo-toating hairless rednecks in overalls. There will not be any police in this area.
> This will end at RT129. TAKE A LEFT TURN onto RT129.
> Follow the Lake on your right. In a few miles, you are now on your way up the Dragon.
> We will get to the Overlook Point. Look for my signal to turn off. We will group here and take a photo.
> Continue on the Dragon. From here on, you will experience 180 degree switchbacks with elevation changes, esses, and so on.

Golden Rule: NEVER CROSS THE DOUBLE YELLOW LINES!

Be defensive and have fun. If we're stuck behind someone, be polite and they may pull off to let you by. If they do, give them a thank you wave.
There will be photographers on the Dragon. (Killboy.com, RT129 Photos, etc.)
You can look up your photos a few days later on their respective sites. My avatar is a Killboy.com photo.

> When we cross into North Carolina (The end of the Dragon.) we will take the next left at the Gas Station. ( RT28 ) This great road follows a river and crosses a bridge near Fontana Dam.

> At the next Gas Station on RT28, we will take a right and roll into Fontana Village Resort. We'll take a parade lap through, past the ball field, rec center and up to the lodge and registration.

> Find your cabin, get moved in and then go see if anything is going on at the rec center. (Like registration for ZdayZ)
Old 05-09-2011, 03:38 AM
push

Good write up, I'll see you guys weds morning! Just order my gopro HD last night, so I should be able to get some fun footage this year.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:23 AM
Phreakdout

Thumbs up

Good write up, I'll see you guys weds morning! Just order my gopro HD last night, so I should be able to get some fun footage this year.
Sweet! Should sound awesome with the Vette's LS V8!

See ya next week!
Old 05-09-2011, 06:11 AM
BobaFettm

MEETING LOCATION: May 18th at 6:00 am I-75 Exit 18 Travel America (BP) Gas Station.
Rough time finding this on google maps. I did see a 18 mile marker I believe on yahoo maps though. Couldn't find the BP near it though.. Maybe I'm just mentally challenged.

We don't stop often. Derek, you may have to let us know when your Lotus needs another 9 gallons of gas.
This year... *** pillows. My seats make for some very numb ********* by the end of the trip... lol and yes I should range anywhere from 250-325 miles on a tank lol... it ranges though and my fuel gauge doesn't have the most accurate reading... and the speedo is definitely off around 5-10mph so I do it by RPM for my speeds. [/quote]

There is a BP station on the right that has a Wendy's and a Fireworks Store. (I can see Trevor getting into trouble there.)
Grab a quick lunch here and hit the road. The next stop is Fontana Village (After we go through the Dragon.)
lol. We know how much damage trev can do with a chinese laser pointer we might becareful on high explosives... Also we do our yearly waffle house lunch on the way down so we might break off from you guys to hit one up and catch back up at a different exit

There are residents in this area. Be careful of dogs, inbred kids / cousins and banjo-toating hairless rednecks in overalls. There will not be any police in this area.
Sounds like ZdayZ already!
Old 05-09-2011, 06:34 AM
sig11

and yes I should range anywhere from 250-325 miles on a tank lol...
I'm only a little better in the 370. Mileage went to hell when I got the oil cooler. Even when I block it off completely... My best before was 30.42mpg and lately the best was 25.82mpg.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:46 AM
MyV6IsFast3r

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

im in for thurs...

Thursday morning
1. Gadabout
2. MRRJP3
3. Procustom_g35
4. Dal35
5. BuckeyeG
6. Carsontl
7. Charles
8. MyV6IsFast3r
Old 05-09-2011, 09:46 AM
buzzardmountain

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

This year... *** pillows.
Don't pass out with Brandon around...problem solved!
Old 05-10-2011, 09:14 PM
Phreakdout

lol. We know how much damage trev can do with a chinese laser pointer we might becareful on high explosives... Also we do our yearly waffle house lunch on the way down so we might break off from you guys to hit one up and catch back up at a different exit

Sounds like ZdayZ already!
LOL - Gotta have the waffles with fried chicken!
And you wonder why you have to air out the Lotus while going down the road!

The last part of the caravan is the best.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:21 PM
Phreakdout

Originally Posted by MyV6IsFast3r
im in for thurs...
Cool! I will post details this weekend for the Thursday caravan.

Updated list

Wednesday:
1. Phreakdout (350Z Roadster)
2. TheKinn (350Z)
3. Sig11 (370Z)
4. BobaFettm (Lotus Exige)
5. Push - Corvette
6. Jesse - 240 poop coupe

Thursday morning
1. Gadabout
2. MRRJP3
3. Procustom_g35
4. Dal35
5. BuckeyeG
6. Carsontl
7. Charles
8. Father Myers
9. Son Myers
10. MyV6IsFast3r (350Z)
Old 05-11-2011, 05:33 AM
thekinn

Received 45 Likes on 38 Posts

The first and last time I went to a Waffle House, there were ants crawling all over our table and no one seemed to care when we told them. Enjoy!

Quick Reply: Zdayz caravan?