Notices
North East New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont

Tein Flex w/EDFC install at XXTuning

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2003, 07:25 PM
350Zzzz
Professional

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is not easy coming to a decision with the rims, as there are such a wide selection available on the market.

Jeff, what was the lowest point that you could take your car, before hitting bottom? What profile tires do you have?

So do you recommend for me to follow suit with the Teins; as on my list of considerations are the: JIC Magic, H&R, Eibach and/or Bilstein

Thanks
Gerald
Old 11-30-2003, 08:00 PM
jeff

Gerald, I found the lowest point in the car is the flange on our stock cats. There are a couple of little points that protrude below the flange to the Borla and I was scraping these on my driveway. I have a bump (almost a speed bump) at the end of my driveway and this is where I was scraping, but only when going straight out or backing straight in. No problem when I approached from an angle. Danny ground these points down for me when I had the film installed on the hood.

I'm running on the stock 45 profile tire right now. That should not have made a difference in scraping though. If I was running a larger rim with lower profile, I should have very close to the same wheel diameter, no? So the height would be the same.

As far as suspension, it is almost as difficult a decision as wheels. I went with the Teins for the EDFC. It does make it easy to adjust, rather than changing it by hand. I noticed you didn't list Koni as a choice, any reason? Or am I just complicating your decision?

For the way I intend using my car, Teins make sense, and I would happily recommend them. In the end though, as with the wheels, the choice must be yours.

Jeff
Old 12-03-2003, 06:04 AM
350Zzzz
Professional

How low was that, Jeff, in inches? If your aspect ratio was "45 profile tire" then that should give you some extra height; as mine are presently very low profile at 30(s), but plan to move up to 35(s). Then again, I have the 19" wheels.

Thanks
G
Old 12-04-2003, 01:48 PM
jeff

I didn't measure from the ground to the flange, but I'm guessing that less than 2-3/4 inches from the ground. May be this weekend while it's snowing I can measure in the garage, while I'm installing my grounding kit.
Old 12-04-2003, 03:24 PM
rouxeny

I got the car back.

Looks pretty good, seems to drive fine.
Old 12-04-2003, 04:16 PM
whitetrack

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Andrew, that's great news. Did they tell you not to wax for 3 months? Your parents are going to think you take really good care of your car when they see it. Did you tell them yet?
Old 12-04-2003, 07:50 PM
rouxeny

No, I didn't tell them. It's not because I'm worried that they'll be mad. It wasn't an accident I could avoid in any way.

It's more really so my mom doesn't freak out, she has big safety concerns....for me, not the deer and I figure that the less they know, the less she'll worry.
Old 12-04-2003, 08:30 PM
350Zzzz
Professional

Wink mama's boy

Good that all's fine!

G
Old 12-04-2003, 11:58 PM
notlownf

Hey Jeff if you don't mind me asking, why did you go with TEIN? Did you look into any others (HKS, JIC, etc) I'm starting to look for coilovers and would like your input.

Thanks

Chris
Old 12-05-2003, 03:15 PM
jeff

Hey Chris. My decision was between JIC and Tein. I ended up choosing the Tein because of the EDFC. If I was going to track the car or autocross extensively I probably would have gone with JIC, but since most of my driving will be on normal roads, I felt the Teins would be my better choice. The ease of changing the settings was the clincher. I also understand that with the JIC a hole has to be drilled through the strut tower brace panels for access to the adjustment on the dampner. Since I got mine installed, KW came out with their coilovers and Koni is testing with BJ at 350EVO. I might have considered either of these, but then again I come back to the ease of adjustability of the Teins. Hope this helps.

Jeff