Notices
North East New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont

garaged for the winter

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2003, 01:39 PM
whitetrack

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default garaged for the winter

Tomorrow will offically start the deep sleep for my Z. After the crappy road conditions I experienced today, I am letting the Z hybernate until April. With the road salt/sand mix that was put down, I did not want to get anymore paint chips on my bumper.

I contacted my insurance company and am having them pull Collision and Liability but keep Comprehensive coverage.

I plan on doing an oil change, lower the windows about an inch and then pull the battery. I will be putting the car up on jack stands and covering it. I then intend on spending the next four months going out to the garage and just staring dumbly at the car.

What type of hybernation plans do you have for your car?
Old 12-02-2003, 02:01 PM
burnt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<< What type of hybernation plans do you have for your car? >>

Driving it to the local parking lot that is adjacent to my school. That is until I find a beater. If and when I find a beater, it's (Z) getting cleaned, covered, and put in a nice heated garage.
Old 12-02-2003, 02:12 PM
35ounces
03 CS Track 6MT

Is it really necessary to put it up on jack stands ? Just wondering.
I was thinking of putting down a rubber floor mat in the garage area which should help keep the cement from sucking the moisture out of the tires. I intend on trying to drive it occassionally if the road conditions permit and there is not too much sand and salt just to keep it running well.
Old 12-02-2003, 02:59 PM
whitetrack

It isn't necessary to put the car on stands but I will most likely pull the wheels to clean them and do other maintenance while the car is stored. It will make getting under and around easier.

I will be going over the brakes, retightening the borla, and going over any other area I can think of.
Old 12-02-2003, 04:49 PM
jeff

Greg, you might want to reconsider leaving your car on jack stands. It's not the best thing to leave the suspension unloaded for the whole winter. You might want to consider putting wood or rubber (as 35ounces suggests) on your garage floor. Since you are taking insurance off the car I wouldn't drive on those nice days, there will be some, but you could at least roll it out into your driveway and admire it.

Jeff
Old 12-02-2003, 04:59 PM
350Zzzz
Professional

I doubt that I could survive hanging up the car for the entire winter, as I need to be able to sneak out the car with the in-between good weather.

But, what I plan to do is to take the bad weather conditions, as an opportunity to add my next season mods

G
Old 12-02-2003, 05:23 PM
zand02max
350Z-holic

I would recomend a battery conditioner, keeps you battery fully charged, that way you don't have to take the battery out.

Also, ensure you change the oil.

You say you dropped your comp/collision. Some banks/credit unions will not let you do this assuming you have a lien on your vehicle.

My last credit union wouldn't let me drop insurance on my wife's 02 Maxima. Only had the car 8 months. They said it was their car and until I outright owned I had to do what they wanted. I went ahead and paid it off and told the credit union to stick it, it was their tough luck, because they just lost on 28 months of interest.

I called my credit union today to drop my comp/collision, and I had to send a letter to their loan dept, I have not received an answer yet.

Another suggestion would be to get a car cover. And get lots of Zaino.

My goal is to surpass Dr. Bonz on coats.

Old 12-02-2003, 05:58 PM
jeff

I'm with Gerald on this one. When it's nice out with no hint of precipitation, I'm going for a drive!! <- This is not representative of the Teins, Gerald.
Old 12-02-2003, 07:08 PM
ProjectZ

The best i can do is let it sleep in the garage all night, and then in the mornin drive it about a mile to the train station. I do need to figure something out for those days i come back on the train and its covered in snow. Maybe get a cover or something.

Have a nice sleep Whitetrack

Vito.
Old 12-02-2003, 07:19 PM
rouxeny

I drove it most of last winter, I'll drive it most of this winter.

It was parked when it snowed, but otherwise, I couldn't resist taking it for a spin.
Old 12-02-2003, 07:28 PM
350Zzzz
Professional

Andrew

What winter tires do you have? Will your parents be bringing over sweet meat, for you.

G
Old 12-02-2003, 07:44 PM
rouxeny

Ah, my winter tires were REO-40's. Basically, I only drove the car if there was no snow on the ground. It did fine in freezing temperatures, the lowest I hit on the themometer was about 2 degrees.

Of course, you have to be careful, even if the roads are dry, but I didn't have any trouble.

Of course, I didn't have 350 rwhp either....so, I'm not sure my experience counts for you.
Old 12-03-2003, 03:46 PM
vics350

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Greg, that little bit of snow scared you already? j/k

I still want to get together this year and I was shooting for next weekend (of course weather permitting).

Andrew, let us know if you're available the 13th or 14th.

Greg, if we set up a lunch gettogether I would still hope you can join us with or without your Z.
Old 12-03-2003, 07:42 PM
burnt

Yea I still have it, although I may be a little busy. I've got 2-3 weeks crunch time left before I submit my portfolio to art colleges and I've got some work to do, we'll see.

If I went out and got some Blizzaks I could probably plow through it, but because I'm selling it I don't want to risk it. Plus, I don't need to be putting the miles on it. Besides, it will be nice to finally cancel my $3400 / year complete ripoff insurance policy. You'd think I had 2 DUI's and was driving a new Porsche for that type of bill.
Old 12-03-2003, 08:12 PM
350Zzzz
Professional

Vic,

December 13th is not good for me, as I have a previous commitment for that day.

Sorry guys.

G
Old 12-04-2003, 04:36 PM
whitetrack

Jeff, I plan on putting the jack stands on the suspension so it isn't unsprung. I just have to check out where I can actually do this. If I can't get the suspension then I will leave the wheels on.

I do plan on changing the oil and covering it. I also was considering one of those corrosion protection devices that connect to the battery and to your frame but you also have to make sure you connect a trickle charger along with it. So that is out. I still may just pull the battery although I would like to start it up on a good day.

I figured if I drop collision and liability but keep comprehensive it will prevent me from sneaking out with it. I know a guy that cancelled all of his insurance and a week later he had a garage fire that totaled his vette.

Victor, I can't make the 13th. I am on call that week and like Andrew, am kinda house bound. If you decide to have something later, keep me in mind. I can always come in my cherokee and tow any of you guys out when you slip all over the road

Yes, I got stuck on 91 south on Tuesday morning. It was an ice skating rink. A mini van had bounced both sides of the road smacking the guard rails. None of the roads were sanded. Only on the way home were they covered in sand and salt. Not a mixture I wish to cover my Z in.
Old 12-04-2003, 07:47 PM
rouxeny

I wondered about you guys on Tuesday. One of my residents lives in Middletown and she almost didn't make it to work. Sounded like it was pretty bad.

The Z is back, seems to be about the same, except that my Nav isn't working.
Old 12-05-2003, 11:49 AM
burnt

12 to 18 inches this weekend. I'm going to go find a parking lot since I have nothing else to do... Word.
Old 12-05-2003, 01:39 PM
rouxeny

I put my Z in the hospital parking garage. I guess it's All Accord, All the Time now.

Unfortunately, I'm on call today. I'm sitting here in the call room and all I can hear is the sound of ambulances. Admitedly, I am in a hospital, but that's more than usual.

Either it'll be a slow night, or we'll get crushed by traumas.
Old 12-06-2003, 07:29 AM
iriee

mine just went in the garage for the winter,,,soooo sad! but im glad now cause its snowing like a bansheeeeeeey out there! looks like 14-18 inches today. i peek in the garage at the zzz as i pass it with the snowblower!

Quick Reply: garaged for the winter