Notices
North East New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont

Vinny Ten Racing

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 07:14 AM
OMG35S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Vinny Ten Racing

I’d like to start out by saying that I’m being as honest as possible. Here’s how my experience went down at Vinny Ten Racing:

As everyone knows I tried installing my RTP’s myself and was unsuccessful and stripped my passenger’s side top bolt. I stopped there and figured it was a job for a professional. I called VTR and spoke to Brandon. I made an appointment for Thursday, June 16, 2011 @ 9:30am.

Thursday comes by and unfortunately I couldn’t find my RTP’s. (I’m currently moving so everything is boxed up) I called VTR and explained I’d be late. I get there an hour later @ 10:30am. I tell the mechanic about the strip bolt. He attempts to remove the bolt and fails. VTR ended up sending me home (about 1 hour drive one-way) and re-scheduled me for today Monday, June 20, 2011 @ 9am. I was originally quoted $85 for the RTP installed but that changed to $125 since they would have to bolt-out the stripped bolt. I wasn’t upset with this at all since I was late to begin with and the bolt was stripped.

Monday comes by and I get there @ 9am to find only 1 mechanic and no Vinny nor Brandon in the building. We had a good conversation and chatted until they came in. My car finally gets on the lift an hour later around 10am. They start working on my car.

To make a long story short, it took VTR 6 hours to install my RTP’s. I came in and expected a 1-2 hour job as those on the forums have mentioned even with a stripped bolt. It turns out that the stripped bolt wasn’t even the issue. They had to extract both the stripped bolt and non-stripped bolt the same exact way! Yes, these bolts are notorious for not budging but by no means did I expect to stay there for 6 hours. In addition there is no waiting area or any chairs to sit down. I was not offered somewhere to sit and when it came to lunch time they had asked almost everyone in the shop what they wanted for lunch except me. I walked a few blocks and found a deli and had my lunch.

In addition to the six hours the mechanic had accidentally torched the rubber covering my fuel lines! It went on fire and the mechanic had to run for water to extinguish the flames. He insisted it was fine and that they are steel lines and there is nothing to be worried about. He went ahead and bandaged it up with heat tape. I took his word since he seemed honest.

After this grueling experience it’s finally done and I’m ready to pay and leave. I go into the office and I’m surprisingly told that I owe $350 for the work. Supposedly they are giving me a discount and charging me for fewer hours. I protested and stated that it’s unfair because I was never told it was going to cost me more than the original quote that was $125. If I had known it was going to take VTR 6 hours and it was going to cost me $350 for the install I would have never done it. I understand mistakes and new problems arise but the business must let the buyer beware. Unfortunately, Vinny and I had an argument about this situation. He had insisted that I should have known and it was my part to know that I will be charged per hour instead of the install cost initially agreed upon. I disagreed with him. For example, when a dealership realizes that a new problem arises or something needs to be done they give you a courtesy call stating the problem, giving you a new quote, and then finally asking for your approval to continue. I was more than willing to pay more than what I was quoted but it was the manner that I was approached with the issue is what frustrated me.

Has anyone else had this issue before? Have you ever gone to a shop agreed on a price and returned to a bill that is triple than what you expected? Am I supposed to just cough up the money and move on? I didn’t think so. That’s poor business ethics to me. If I was told ahead of time I would have most likely backed out or worked out a new price and then taken it from there. Vinny also stated that I was driving a $60,000 car and the money shouldn’t be an issue. I worked my *** off part time for 5 years and I’m currently unemployed as I am going for back to school for my MBA. What business is it how much money I have? If I drove a 99 Honda Civic you I have been charged differently? He also insisted that they used his method to remove the bolt and that he had invented it. Why did it take 6 hours to complete if they already had a method to remove these top two bolts? I know from personal experience and on the forums that many have successfully removed these top bolts (even stripped top bolts) in an hour or two. And that’s without a lift. It was also insisted that they were the best mechanics and much better than Nissan head techs. I even tried to tip the mechanic but unfortunately, Vinny came out running and forced the tip back to me and made a scene in the shop.

I can go on and on but I don’t want to turn this into a book. I would have been more than happy to fork up some money if it was handled differently. I had gone to VTR because of their reputation with our cars and I thought I was going to the best shop. I was willing to pay a little extra for knowing that I had the best shop working on my car. Unfortunately, it wasn’t as I had expected.

On a positive note, the mechanics and visitors were friendly and easy going. There were a lot of nice cars in the lot.

By no means am I trying to bash VTR or have any hard feelings. I’m just giving my feedback and my experience to the forum. I’ve heard good and bad stories about the shop and unfortunately, I didn’t have the best experience. Vinny did state that I am still welcomed to the shop but we’ll have to discuss the financials before any work was done. Honestly, after this experience I’m not too comfortable going back. After spending all that time there and seeing all the boosted cars I really had the urge to one day TT my car. It’s a shame that I had to experience this and I definitely didn’t want to leave on a bad note.

The day did not get any better. I did not expect to spend all day at VTR. I left around 4pm and I am my brother’s assistant coach of his baseball travel team. I had to have a friend pick him up and take him to the game. I arrived in the in the fourth inning. I’m also currently getting a CEL light with my GTM RTP’s. They did do a beating on the bolt to try to remove it. I’m going to reset the codes and hopefully the sensors are still good.

Didn’t mean to write a book but I just needed to vent. I’d appreciate and feedback. Good or Bad. This is my first time going through such a rough experience with a business.

Thanks

BTW.. I did leave paying the $125...

FYI: Since I left VTR my car is hesitating and throwing a CEL code p1148. It seems like the broke my header 02 sensor....
Old 06-21-2011, 07:47 AM
NissanZ03

I've never been to VTR or anything, and I do agree that they should have updated you with a higher quote if it was going to cost more, but since you ended up only paying $125 was it really necessary to write an entire post on a forum that could lose them business? It just seems excessive
Old 06-21-2011, 08:19 AM
Ruthless18x

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

They didn't break your O2 sensor, test pipes are notorious for throwing CEL codes. You should know that.

Also, no one reffers to resonated test pipes as RTP's you weirdo. You should know that too.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:32 AM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I think you should have expected to pay more then you did when it took so long. Was this on an HR? If so the hesitation is because your not tuned. Sounds like a miscommunication issue mainly. 6 hrs sounds rediculous for test pipes. I broke 2 bolts on mine and it took around 3. That is an extremely cheap price, don't understand how your not praising them.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:45 AM
Brandon@VTR
Vendor - Former Vendor

Before I address this post I would like to point out that we have done hundreds if not thousands of test pipe/HFC installs. For anyone to say it should have only taken 1 hour max has been lucky with a problem free install. The tech that did the install has over 8 years experience and has worked in the Air Force as a JET F18/F22 mechanic, he is MORE then capable installing pipes. If the install took x amount of hours it was because it needed it, not because of inexperience.

We have thousands of happy customers who make appointments weeks in advance to get work done on their cars. It is unfortunate that Adam's G35 wasn't a 1-2-3 install and had complications, I.E the stripped bolt that he himself caused due to trying to do the install. His original appointment was to install the pipes, never did he talk to myself or Vinny about a stripped bolt prior to coming in or else we would have scheduled him another day.

If there ever is an issue with our work, we stand behind it and will do whatever it takes to make sure everything is working properly. Adam made this post last night and has not given us the opportunity to address any problems he may occurred.

We have only been at our new facility for 9 MONTHS, in which our showroom/waiting area is not finished. I'm sorry we do not have a TV or a couch for customers to sit and be occupied as we do work. We are currently working on it and hope to have it finished soon. As for lunch, we always ask everyone in the shop what they would like to eat. I am sorry at that time he was not around as I never deliberately not ask someone if they would like food, because I recall asking if you wanted breakfast in the morning. I’m sorry you were not fed or entertained while we were removing stripped bolts from your exhaust. 1) There is a deli literally at the end of the block and 2) you could have spoken up and asked if we were getting lunch.

It seems as though you do enjoy arguing, ending off yesterday with a comment, "maybe I should become a lawyer." It isn't about money as you stated in the original post at least 3 times, but more about principal and seeing your side only. If we put the 1 test pipe in and told you prior to doing the work it would cost more money to do the other one what would you have done? Not paid for it? You can't compare this situation to a dealership situation with tires, being that you needed the other pipe installed.

We pride our business behind customer satisfaction and doing above quality work. We ask that the customer address any problems or concerns with us directly so we can handle it in a proper manner.

As far as the assumption that we broke anything is way of base. 1) You supplied the test pipes and 2) you have no way of knowing that after taking the car from us unless you put the car on a lift and visibly inspected it which I suspect you did not at 10pm. This is only an assumption at this point.

Further more, without giving us the opportunity to inspect the car we cannot confirm anything you’re claiming. Again, we would have been MORE then happy to inspect the car if you gave us the chance. You have not!

If the car ran badly after the work was done it could be from the parts the customer supplied, as we are not responsible if you bring your parts in of the outcome, only the install. You are only assuming we broke something.

By the length of this post and not giving us the opportunity to re-inspect the car I can only suspect that at some point you’re trying to impress people with your rant and knowledge instead of handling it in a mature and professional level.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:55 AM
OMG35S

Originally Posted by Brandon@VTR
Before I address this post I would like to point out that we have done hundreds if not thousands of test pipe/HFC installs. For anyone to say it should have only taken 1 hour max has been lucky with a problem free install. The tech that did the install has over 8 years experience and has worked in the Air Force as a JET F18/F22 mechanic, he is MORE then capable installing pipes. If the install took x amount of hours it was because it needed it, not because of inexperience.

We have thousands of happy customers who make appointments weeks in advance to get work done on their cars. It is unfortunate that Adam's G35 wasn't a 1-2-3 install and had complications, I.E the stripped bolt that he himself caused due to trying to do the install. His original appointment was to install the pipes, never did he talk to myself or Vinny about a stripped bolt prior to coming in or else we would have scheduled him another day.

If there ever is an issue with our work, we stand behind it and will do whatever it takes to make sure everything is working properly. Adam made this post last night and has not given us the opportunity to address any problems he may occurred.

We have only been at our new facility for 9 MONTHS, in which our showroom/waiting area is not finished. I'm sorry we do not have a TV or a couch for customers to sit and be occupied as we do work. We are currently working on it and hope to have it finished soon. As for lunch, we always ask everyone in the shop what they would like to eat. I am sorry at that time he was not around as I never deliberately not ask someone if they would like food, because I recall asking if you wanted breakfast in the morning. I’m sorry you were not fed or entertained while we were removing stripped bolts from your exhaust. 1) There is a deli literally at the end of the block and 2) you could have spoken up and asked if we were getting lunch.

It seems as though you do enjoy arguing, ending off yesterday with a comment, "maybe I should become a lawyer." It isn't about money as you stated in the original post at least 3 times, but more about principal and seeing your side only. If we put the 1 test pipe in and told you prior to doing the work it would cost more money to do the other one what would you have done? Not paid for it? You can't compare this situation to a dealership situation with tires, being that you needed the other pipe installed.

We pride our business behind customer satisfaction and doing above quality work. We ask that the customer address any problems or concerns with us directly so we can handle it in a proper manner.

As far as the assumption that we broke anything is way of base. 1) You supplied the test pipes and 2) you have no way of knowing that after taking the car from us unless you put the car on a lift and visibly inspected it which I suspect you did not at 10pm. This is only an assumption at this point.

Further more, without giving us the opportunity to inspect the car we cannot confirm anything you’re claiming. Again, we would have been MORE then happy to inspect the car if you gave us the chance. You have not!

If the car ran badly after the work was done it could be from the parts the customer supplied, as we are not responsible if you bring your parts in of the outcome, only the install. You are only assuming we broke something.

By the length of this post and not giving us the opportunity to re-inspect the car I can only suspect that at some point you’re trying to impress people with your rant and knowledge instead of handling it in a mature and professional level.

Brandon,

I appreciate you coming onto the boards and replying to the message. I'll address myself to each point you have made:

If you had read my post thoroughly I did mention that I made an appointment for Thursday without advising you of the stripped bolt. I did reschedule with you for Monday after you acknowledged that the bolt was stripped.

Second of all the stripped bolt had nothing to do with the prolonged time it took for the install. The mechanic used the same technique for each of the top bolts. In other words the stripped bolt was as hard as the non-stripped bolt.

How can you return a car with a CEL light and hesitation. Do me a favor and ask the mechanic who worked on my car if the CEL was on when he gave it to me. If he's honest he will tell you it was. There are hundreds of members who have installed GTM RTP's without any CEL because they have the extended bungs. I'm almost 100% positive that through all the banging of the top bolt caused the AF sensor in the headers to go bad.

On the ride home my car was hesitating and had the CEL on. I came home, pulled out my OBDII scanner and read the codes. This is when I found out about the code P1148. I did a quick search and found various members who had similar issues. It is highly recommended to remove the sensors prior to any installations, especially if you're banging the top bolt with a hammer.

I am now stuck with what most likely is a bad sensor. The sensors are around $150 ea. for the part alone. I would be more than happy for you to fix this issue but I'm worried about coming in and you working on my car. Having gone through such an experience I don't know how comfortable I am coming to your shop.

Yes Brandon, you did ask me if I wanted breakfast in the morning. I did eat already so I thankfully declined. It was when Vinny came out and asked the individual next to me for lunch and completely ignored me. He even made eye contact but didn't say anything. This is the least of my issues.

It was foul business ethics that disappointed me. We can go back and forth arguing. I was 100% honest with my post and I'm not hiding anything. Regarding your comment about only installing 1 side of the pipe: First of all it was not till the very end - near the 5 hour mark when the mechanic had finally removed only one of the top bolts. It was not like the mechanic had one side done and was just working on the other.

My point here is not to point fingers and say that it should have been a 1-2-3 install. I spoke to both mechanics while working on my car and they insisted that they don't do many installs on these newer cars. Nissan/Infiniti has changed the top bolt configuration making it slightly harder to remove. I believe your mechanic stated that they had last done an install on my type of car many months ago. There are many members here and friends of mine who had stripped top bolts on both sides and still managed to get them installed under two hours.

I did email you guys last night after pulling the codes. It is obvious that you have read my email to Vinny. It is 1pm and I have still not received any response and how your shop would like to follow through with my CEL and hesitation issue. Hence, why I posted it online. Instead of replying to this thread why not email me back with the steps you would like to take. I told you exactly what codes I'm having and I'm almost positive it's the sensors. You did receive my email about this matter and have not replied.

I hope you're not blaming my RTP's for causing the CEL. Shouldn't your shop be responsible for checking the car before handing me over the keys? How can you give back a car with a CEL and hesitation throughout all gears around 3k RPM? Research and various members have comfirmed that they experienced similar situations and it was caused by the damage of shock caused to the Air Fuel sensors or Oxgygen sensors. Again, if you had replied to my email and stated that you'll take a look at the car it would have been a different story. I'm still waiting on a response. Although as I said before, I'm cautious about your shop working on my car again.

I think I have handled this in a professional and mature matter. I brought up my issue to you and Vinny and I was disappointed with the outcome. This is a forum and I'm providing my feedback. Unfortunately, I didn't have a good experience and nothing has been done to recoup my losses.

- My 6 hour long day at VTR
- Car is Hesitating at 3k RPM
- Car is throwing CEL code P1148 (most likely a bad sensor due to the shock and impact of removing the bolts) $150 each sensor
- Car was on fire (Tore the rubber that covers the fuel lines... Should replace the rubber instead of bandaging it with heat tape?...)
- Upon leaving, I was expected to pay 3x the amount initially agreed upon.
- Poor customer experience

How am I suppose to be happy? Usually businesses suffer losses on their mistakes but it looks like I'm the one who lost here.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:03 AM
Ruthless18x

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thread should be closed. OP is inexperienced and talking out his ***. All the shop bashing lately is getting ridiculous, especially with the aftermarket deficiencies on an already aging platform.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:13 AM
NZMOWND

hmm interesting situation we have here...i agree about not paying more then 125 but also it is up to u just as it is VTR to inspect the car before u leave and pay so thats just as much your fault...
Old 06-21-2011, 10:44 AM
fairladyinit

Originally Posted by Ruthless18x
Also, no one reffers to resonated test pipes as RTP's you weirdo. You should know that too.
Right!?
Old 06-21-2011, 11:07 AM
Legacy406

Received 3,359 Likes on 2,648 Posts

I think this has run its course.