Notices
North East New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Vermont

Buddy bro northeast chat thread.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2017, 01:29 AM
craig12895

Received 160 Likes on 129 Posts

Also motor build stuff is starting to come together. Got some powder coating back yesterday and these showed up. Time to revamp the entire cooling system, new red, aluminum fans, new coolant hoses, and a new thermostat

Buddy bro northeast chat thread.-ge0yknf.jpg
Old 04-13-2017, 09:53 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

This took way much time.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:53 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Less blurry
Old 04-13-2017, 12:34 PM
craig12895

Did you use a potato to take that picture?
Old 04-13-2017, 03:34 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Got them in finally.
Old 04-13-2017, 03:44 PM
craig12895

Well they look a lot better. Any leaks?
Old 04-14-2017, 02:51 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

I sure hope not... Haven't started the car yet, gotta put on the rest of the exhaust and put the coolant lines back in...

Yesterday all I accomplished was removing that steering joint, getting that drivers side in and putting the joint back on.

I'm pretty much the slowest backyard mechanic around.
Old 04-15-2017, 12:05 PM
craig12895

Slight clutch update:

After doing my break-in miles I was doing some more aggressive (normal) driving. And it just didn't feel right. So I went back in and bled the clutch fluid and now I can say its definitely right.
Clutch pedal feel now is moderate (perfect pressure for my preference) rather than light pedal. And the clutch is now releasing at higher pedal reach as Spec states it should. And now shifting at high rpm feels very solid. Ready to test it with more power now...
Old 04-15-2017, 04:06 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Nice..

Got my car back together, started it.. Smoked like a **** for like 5 min... Then seemed ok...

Let it run for a bit adding antifreeze and water for a bit... Let it go till the fans turned on. They were not all that happy about the coolant shower.. But ran for like half an house and seemed pretty happy.

Have a small leak on the passenger side manifold so I am going to try and tighten that up a bit and hope for the best...

Did all new 02 sensors also.
Old 04-16-2017, 05:37 AM
BakaN20

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by craig12895
Z1 is having a pretty wild sale on that Exedy setup right now. Just a shame it doesnt hold more power
Slight clutch update:

After doing my break-in miles I was doing some more aggressive (normal) driving. And it just didn't feel right. So I went back in and bled the clutch fluid and now I can say its definitely right.
Clutch pedal feel now is moderate (perfect pressure for my preference) rather than light pedal. And the clutch is now releasing at higher pedal reach as Spec states it should. And now shifting at high rpm feels very solid. Ready to test it with more power now...
Hey craig, I got mine from Z1, if I was going to pick up a jwt combo, might as well go for the exedy carbon for just a little more, lol. I wanted the dampened version, but didn't want to pay that much more. I'm only running nitrous, so I don't need anything crazy for the clutch.

Anyways, what didn't you like about the feel of yours? Is it a twin disk? How is the noise? I just installed mine, and it is SUPER stiff. I have an RJM pedal, so I will adjust it. Did yours get better after break in? I only had mine installed yesterday. Also, are you getting any squealing? Thanks.

Also, anyone have a consult in NJ, I want to raise my idle.
Old 04-16-2017, 10:43 AM
craig12895

Originally Posted by BakaN20
Hey craig, I got mine from Z1, if I was going to pick up a jwt combo, might as well go for the exedy carbon for just a little more, lol. I wanted the dampened version, but didn't want to pay that much more. I'm only running nitrous, so I don't need anything crazy for the clutch.

Anyways, what didn't you like about the feel of yours? Is it a twin disk? How is the noise? I just installed mine, and it is SUPER stiff. I have an RJM pedal, so I will adjust it. Did yours get better after break in? I only had mine installed yesterday. Also, are you getting any squealing? Thanks.

Also, anyone have a consult in NJ, I want to raise my idle.
I have the Spec SS twin disk. Previously I was on the Z1 clutch/flywheel (made by JWT or exedra, don't remember which), and before that I was on OEM.

The Z1 clutch was by far my heaviest pedal feel but I enjoyed and preferred that. The Spec I would say is a hair heavier than OEM but the pedal feels a bit more springy. Overall mine is still very easy to drive and adjust to. And for what its worth, Im still on the OEM clutch pedal, no RJM mod.

As far as noise, my Spec billet flywheel is loud. Much louder than my Z1/JWT lightweight flywheel. And I'm not getting any squealing, did you replace your pilot and throwout bearing when the clutch was swapped?
Old 04-16-2017, 06:05 PM
BGeorge87

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So it's been a little while since I've posted in here but I wanted to stop in and say hi and show the tiny bit of progress I've made with my Z. I've had the car for about 3 months now and I've changed the headlights to the 06 Depo lights (mine's an 03). I also just finished installing an HKS High Power True Dual catback last weekend. This took longer than expected due to the stock bolts being quite rusty. I had to grind them off and clean up the flanges on the cats before installing the new (to me) exhaust. So far though it's treating me really well and I really love this car!

Depo lights, upgraded HIDs, oil change, and a bunch of other LED upgrades.

It finally came in!!

Doing a little bit of grinding.

It's off! Now to get the bolts off and clean up a bit.

Bath time!

Old 04-16-2017, 06:09 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

My car runs again... So far put about 30 miles on it and hasnt blown up or anything else crazy... Fingers crossed my service engine light stays off.

I have almost no noticeable sound difference between the stock parts and the aftermarket ones I put back on...

Also haven't noticed any difference in performance... Seems to be just like before, run fine so far.
Old 04-16-2017, 06:17 PM
BakaN20

I have the Spec SS twin disk. Previously I was on the Z1 clutch/flywheel (made by JWT or exedra, don't remember which), and before that I was on OEM.

The Z1 clutch was by far my heaviest pedal feel but I enjoyed and preferred that. The Spec I would say is a hair heavier than OEM but the pedal feels a bit more springy. Overall mine is still very easy to drive and adjust to. And for what its worth, Im still on the OEM clutch pedal, no RJM mod.

As far as noise, my Spec billet flywheel is loud. Much louder than my Z1/JWT lightweight flywheel. And I'm not getting any squealing, did you replace your pilot and throwout bearing when the clutch was swapped?
Throwout bearing and pilot bushings were replaced. Throwout was Koyo and pilot was oem, thats what Z1 recommended. I get squeal when I engage the clutch.

I figured out why my clutch seemed stiff, the clutch rod wasn't going in all the way, was hitting something, but working now. Its the squealing that is super annoying.
Old 04-16-2017, 06:37 PM
craig12895

The squealing is strange, not sure what would cause that. Might not be the culprit, but did you grease/lube the throwout bearing before putting it on?

And the car looks good George, keep us updated on any future mods
Old 04-17-2017, 02:09 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Originally Posted by BGeorge87
So it's been a little while since I've posted in here but I wanted to stop in and say hi and show the tiny bit of progress I've made with my Z. I've had the car for about 3 months now and I've changed the headlights to the 06 Depo lights (mine's an 03). I also just finished installing an HKS High Power True Dual catback last weekend. This took longer than expected due to the stock bolts being quite rusty. I had to grind them off and clean up the flanges on the cats before installing the new (to me) exhaust. So far though it's treating me really well and I really love this car!

Doing a little bit of grinding.
]

Thats how my exhaust came off also. But then I had to drill new holes... Good luck with the catalytic converters when the time comes...
Old 04-17-2017, 04:06 AM
BakaN20

The squealing is strange, not sure what would cause that. Might not be the culprit, but did you grease/lube the throwout bearing before putting it on?

And the car looks good George, keep us updated on any future mods

I had a performance shop do it. They specialize in Nissans, so I would hope they did. I hope it goes away after some break-in. At their shop:

Here is a video of it:

Old 04-17-2017, 05:48 AM
DEATHBLOW

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I picked up some wheel dollies from Harbor Freight so i can move the Z around with out killing myself. I don't know how well it will work on my ruff garage floors...
Old 04-17-2017, 06:38 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Originally Posted by DEATHBLOW
I picked up some wheel dollies from Harbor Freight so i can move the Z around with out killing myself. I don't know how well it will work on my ruff garage floors...
Should throw some plywood down or sheet metal if you have it... Without a nice smooth surface your going to be having a bad time.
Old 04-17-2017, 07:59 AM
DEATHBLOW

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dboyzalter
Should throw some plywood down or sheet metal if you have it... Without a nice smooth surface your going to be having a bad time.
Thanks for the input I will test it out and see how bad it is. There no motor in it so i hope that helps a little. Its such a pain to get it in the corner of my garage.

Quick Reply: Buddy bro northeast chat thread.