Notices
North West Washington, Montana, Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming

overspray on wheel with aonized lip

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 04:37 PM
umsta

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default overspray on wheel with aonized lip

hey guys just got my car back and everything is great except one of my wheels has some overspray on it well they tried to clean it up with super fine wet sand and a towel but i think there is a lil more here and there. Is there anything else i can use on the lip without damaging it cause i made sure they used soap and water but i dunno seems there might be a little residue left. any ideas?
Old 11-02-2007, 04:46 PM
redlude97

They used sandpaper on your lips? Ouch. To remove overspray from the lips, use a claybar and lots of lube. Hopefully they didn't harm the anodizing in the process.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:07 PM
umsta

not sand paper but a fine wet sand grit. it just removed a fine layer from the top since it was a clearcoat overspray. Ill try clay bar and i dont think itll affect the anodized layer unless there is a harsh chemical cleaner used. also all volks have a clear coat on the lips so i dont think a light wet sand will be too bad

Last edited by umsta; 11-02-2007 at 08:10 PM.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:14 PM
AlvinHuyN
Nismo 370Z #697

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by umsta
not sand paper but a fine wet sand grit. it just removed a fine layer from the top since it was a clearcoat overspray. Ill try clay bar and i dont think itll affect the anodized layer unless there is a harsh chemical cleaner used. also all volks have a clear coat on the lips so i dont think a light wet sand will be too bad
be careful it's adonized, NOT clear.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:54 PM
umsta

i believe it is anodized clear on the lips for the volks wheels since there is a fine layer of clear protection i see on the lip. the anodizing is just the very surface of the lip and then a minor clear is laid over it. i might be wrong but thats what ive read and felt
Old 11-02-2007, 10:56 PM
redlude97

Anodizing is way thinner than a paint clearcoat, any sandpaper, even wet sandpaper will remove the anodizing.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:42 PM
umsta

i understand but it would be under the clearcoat. i have a slight haze on the top of my lip so i know there is a clearcoat layer.
Old 11-03-2007, 01:06 AM
redlude97

i understand but it would be under the clearcoat. i have a slight haze on the top of my lip so i know there is a clearcoat layer.
The clearcoat is the anodizing.Volk doesn't apply anodizing and then another clearcoat over the top.
Old 11-03-2007, 07:03 AM
AlvinHuyN
Nismo 370Z #697

George, trust me man, I spent 8 hours polishing that adonizing stuff off my sf challenges I really don't want you to go through the same thing.
Old 11-03-2007, 09:53 AM
umsta

lol k i think the wheels are okay just checked but now i have to polish what did you do then in replacement of the anodized layer? cause its supposed to increased thickness and protect against corrosion.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:51 AM
redlude97

lol k i think the wheels are okay just checked but now i have to polish what did you do then in replacement of the anodized layer? cause its supposed to increased thickness and protect against corrosion.
you can't polish anodized wheels without stripping the anodizing first. It doesn't increase in thickness either, what it does is oxidize, which technicallly what anodizing it, but without any contaminants which is why its clear. Basically, you have to do what Alvin did, and completely strip the anodizing down to the bare metal, and then polish with a metal polish. You will also have to continue repolishing every few weeks or so.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:26 AM
AlvinHuyN
Nismo 370Z #697

Originally Posted by redlude97
you can't polish anodized wheels without stripping the anodizing first. It doesn't increase in thickness either, what it does is oxidize, which technicallly what anodizing it, but without any contaminants which is why its clear. Basically, you have to do what Alvin did, and completely strip the anodizing down to the bare metal, and then polish with a metal polish. You will also have to continue repolishing every few weeks or so.
And this is why I hate taking my car to shops, carwashes, etc you will never know what they do to your wheels. Last time my car was in the shop I borrowed their window pen and wrote NO ACID/CLEANERS/CHEMICALS ON THE WHEELS - SOAP AND WATER ONLY!

I shoulda taken pics of that lol