Notices
North West Washington, Montana, Oregon, Idaho, Wyoming

Intec Racing review

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 08:57 PM
ssgohan434

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intec Racing review

Thought I would post something since I had some work done on the Z by this shop in the last week or two. I'm usually only free on saturdays and have to stay at the shop as I don't have a ride/back up car. I was planning on getting Osiris tuned since I already had the generic reflash from about a year ago. Before having Lawrence tune the Z, I wanted to swap out the crappy megan test pipes with a set of Berk Racing testpipes. I think I was only at the shop for an hour and a half all in all for this and an oil change & was very surprised Jun (the tech) had performed all the work so quickly. Everyone was really 'chill'.. so to speak. Jun knows his way around Z's really well. I wasn't expecting to be out the shop for atleast another hour as I thought they were still letting the car cool down.

Anyways, a week later I come back for the dynotuning by Lawrence. My appointment was for 11AM, but I wasn't able to make it till 11:20. It looked like they were backed up with work and weren't able to start on my car till around noon anyways. Stock it was running lean (14 A/Fs), the generic reflash was running rich (high 11s/low 12s). Lawrence got it running right on the dyno with proper AFs (13s). I only gained around 12-13whp. This doesn't tell the whole story though. The first two runs (stock and generic reflash) were very jagged on the dynograph... to smooth it out, on the tuned map Lawrence had to pull timing. He thinks that the spark plugs may have been fouled running extremely rich or lean with the generic reflash/the stock ecu maps. The car only dynoed 240whp with the tuned map, so I'm still debating changing sparkplugs and getting it retuned.

All in all, I believe they do fantastic work, & they were one of the few shops I would actually feel comfortable leaving my car at knowing its in their care.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:33 PM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

^they recommended checking my plugs prior to getting my dyno tune as well and low and behold they were pitted and deformed a little bit on a couple of them. I think it was Jun that did my plugs/valve cover gasket as well and he indeed worked very fast and knew the car well.

apparently a pretty common issue on our Z's with some miles on them, especially if you've been running lean. they also found oil on the top part of my plugs on one side so thankfully I got to do some preventative maintenance and get a new valve cover/gasket installed.

I was happy with the service at Intec too, if they were closer, I might use them for more things. I will be going to them again at some point, probably adding HFC's and getting a new tune, I don't feel like my car was tuned to the best of it's ability but Lawrence didn't get a lot of time with it ..

They took me on a brief ride in a supercharged Titan too. pretty fun, they treat their customers well.

the *only* complaint I have is that if you don't bring cash they charge 3% extra. some shops choose to absorb the card running fees as a cost of business, some don't. sucks that rates were jacked up on everyone and putting them in the position to take in less profit or charge their customers more money to break even. either way they were real nice about it.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:37 PM
JWS82

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good to hear. I'm taking my car in next Friday for my Osiris tune and 4.08 gears. I have a feeling my AF ratio's all jacked up from the bolt-ons I have. Thanks for the review.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:21 PM
sdbarker

Originally Posted by Entaille
^they recommended checking my plugs prior to getting my dyno tune as well and low and behold they were pitted and deformed a little bit on a couple of them. I think it was Jun that did my plugs/valve cover gasket as well and he indeed worked very fast and knew the car well.

apparently a pretty common issue on our Z's with some miles on them, especially if you've been running lean. they also found oil on the top part of my plugs on one side so thankfully I got to do some preventative maintenance and get a new valve cover/gasket installed.

I was happy with the service at Intec too, if they were closer, I might use them for more things. I will be going to them again at some point, probably adding HFC's and getting a new tune, I don't feel like my car was tuned to the best of it's ability but Lawrence didn't get a lot of time with it ..

They took me on a brief ride in a supercharged Titan too. pretty fun, they treat their customers well.

the *only* complaint I have is that if you don't bring cash they charge 3% extra. some shops choose to absorb the card running fees as a cost of business, some don't. sucks that rates were jacked up on everyone and putting them in the position to take in less profit or charge their customers more money to break even. either way they were real nice about it.
Which is a violation of the Federal Truth In Lending Act, as well as a violation of the merchant agreements for MasterCard, Visa, Discover, and American Express.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:56 AM
Entaille

o snap.
Old 02-12-2010, 08:16 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by sdbarker
Which is a violation of the Federal Truth In Lending Act, as well as a violation of the merchant agreements for MasterCard, Visa, Discover, and American Express.
meh, who cares........

like we have never paid "cash" for something before at a shop.....under the table action....

they are far and few inbetween..........
-J
Old 02-12-2010, 08:39 AM
Entaille

not a big deal, just bringing cash if I go there again. they totally hooked me up on labor rates too.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:59 PM
ssgohan434

I paid with a visa and didn't get charged any additional fee.
Old 02-13-2010, 12:01 PM
Selina

i went there to get my cusco zero 2's re-installed and Jun was also the tech who did it and was very nice/helpful in telling me the problems i was having with my suspension and what not. Lawrence and the other techs were nice and laid-back too and i would definitely go there again in the future.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:52 AM
seymore4
Professional
Premier Member

Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts

I can't count the number of places that have a sign at the register announcing that they will charge 3% more for credit card purchases, minute marts charge 35 cents for a debit card purchase... what ever. They gotta pass on the cost of doing business to someone.

We should all be glad that there is still a decent shop left to get work done with this economy.

All in all Lawrence knows his stuff and is one of the few people in the area I would trust with my car. I'm certainly not going to ship it to the east coast or socal to get work done!
Old 02-14-2010, 09:59 AM
exarmyguy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its good to hear all these positive reviews from you guys! I plan on going there to get an Osiris tune as soon as I get back to WA from Alaska at the end of this month. I never talked to Lawrence personaly, just comminucated with him once threw email. Seems like a true professional.
Old 02-14-2010, 05:04 PM
seymore4
Professional
Premier Member

Received 71 Likes on 59 Posts

Good timing, I heard that they're running a special and got some killer deals on Osiris tunes right now!
Old 02-14-2010, 07:46 PM
Titan1080

Lawrence is a very talented tuner and all-round great guy. I got a great deal last year to have him dyno-tune my Titan with Osiris, it's a low-end torque monster now. I don't stop by the shop often but he remembers me everytime. Stopped by there the other day in my Z to see if they can order an AEM filter that will fit on the K&N intake in the Titan and he offered to tune the 370 for me, had to take a rain check due to lack of funds and willingness to start modding (need to finish the Titan first!)
Old 02-25-2010, 10:28 AM
Netacoma2003

FYI.......Taco Time in Federal Way charges an extra $.38 if you pay with any type of plastic.

I'm still happy with my OSIRIS tune and Lawrence was good about working and reworking my hot start issue as well.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:14 PM
Villain

Jun is a great local tech. My friend is good buddies with him, he said that if Jun is working at Intec he's working with Falken at different events.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:21 PM
Entaille

lol at the taco time comparison. it isn't a big deal but when you're spending a large amount of money, 3% becomes a bigger number, and it sucks to eat a cost of business for someone. either way I was happy with the service there.
Old 02-25-2010, 02:50 PM
Tatakai

I've been a loyal customer to Intec since 2004, bringing many of my cars, friends cars, and even family cars to them for service and parts. I can't recall ever having any problems with them, there's even been a couple times where I've taken my car in for work and they find small problems and fix them for me at no extra charge. They are definitely the kind of shop willing to go above and beyond for their customers.

My dad's titan has osiris, my cousin's g35 has osiris, and for the while that I owned a 350z, Osiris was the first thing i did to it. I'm hoping to buy another one this summer for a drift car build, there's no doubt in my mind it's going to be at Intec.

Satisfied customer since 2004
Old 03-02-2010, 12:08 AM
vTxSpikeZ

Yeah Intec is a great place I bring my Z and my rsx there quite a few times already. I have other family members and friends that also go there too. My Z was running super lean, so the first thing that Lawrence and Jun did was install new Greddy spark plugs and then after tuned my Z. While he (Lawrence) tuned my Z I wasnt very happy with my number that I was making but since he had tuned so many Z's and G's he was able to pulled a few tricks and got it to what I wanted to be. After having my Z tuned I gain almost 60hp in the mid range and over all I gain from 249-273 whp. I was very happy with the gain I made and their lay back/chill customer service. I need to save up a little more money so I can have them install my new headers and retuning it, as of tomorrow they are installing new cams and retuning my cousin rsx type s supercharged and we will be expecting around 350 on safe. I will diffidently recommend Intec Racing for a place to work on your Z or other cars.
Old 03-06-2010, 06:26 PM
exarmyguy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I'm pretty satisfied with the Osiris tune that Lawrence did on my Z. My appointment was yesterday for 3pm. I get there only to be told that another 350z is currently on the dyno being tuned and that they'll get to me ASAP. Lol, I end up waiting till 5pm. So I wasn't exactly happy about that.

Jun went ahead and pulled one of my plugs to make sure they were still in good condition. Surprisingly, they were. No signs of lean condition at all. But I went ahead and told them to change them out with the aftermarket ones they offered just to be on the safe side.

My first run I dynoed at 267.1 Hp. Lawrence was really surprised because everything looked good. My A/F looked really good (alittle lean on lower RPM's) but other then that good. At first he thought my car may have been tuned before, but nothing was coming up on his computer, still stock. He was able to richen up the lower RPM range to 13.5, bumped up timing,... end result was 271.2 HP and 248.4 TQ. I was satisfied.

Lawrence and the whole Intec crew are true professionals. I would highly recommend them. Although if you do make an appointment, I would try to get it in the middle of the week.

Last edited by exarmyguy; 03-06-2010 at 06:28 PM.
Old 03-08-2010, 03:18 PM
CrazyRuskie

Not if you give them a price and offer a cash discount.

Quick Reply: Intec Racing review