Notices
Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

I got a speeding ticket!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2003, 04:30 PM
MallocFailure

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy I got a speeding ticket!!

Sunnyvale PD clocked me on Central Expressway at 68 in a 50.

I haven't had a ticket in about 8 years, and I've never had one in the 4 years I've lived in CA, so I'm looking for any suggestions/info.

- Can I attend traffic school? Will I avoid points? I don't want my insurance to go up!

- Is there any way to get a speeding ticket 'fixed'? I grew up in St. Louis, and if you got a speeding ticket, you could take it to a traffic lawyer and they'd somehow get it changed to a non-moving violation (like attempted murder or something that won't affect you insurance ) Anything comparable here?

I drive about the same speed I used to in the Integra I traded in. It's just my luck that a few weeks after I get my Z, I get nailed

Thanks for any info.

George
Old 05-16-2003, 10:30 PM
failsafe
....for your health

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey George- Sorry to hear that. Where at on Central Expressway? I live in Mt View and drive Central Expressway all the time.
You will be able to attend traffic school- you can do this once every 18 months to avoid having the speeding ticket appear on your record. Also see if Santa Clara County offers online traffic school (it's offered on a county by county basis). I've done this twice- it's a breeze and only takes about 1 1/2- 2 hours to complete. If not you'll have to waste a Saturday- but better than increased insurance rates.
You may also want to check out this site- http://www.ticketassassin.com/. They have some good info on fighting traffic tickets through the mail.
The only other thing I can suggest is a radar detector.

Hope this helps.

-Jason
Old 05-19-2003, 08:41 AM
MallocFailure

Thanks for the reply, Jason. I was heading towards Mountain View, somewhere near Mathilda. He was on a motorcycle just after an overpass... when I saw him, it was too late. He had to wait for traffic a bit before he could pull out (I was watching in my rear-view mirror and knew I was toast).... I contemplated ducking off the road, but the last thing I needed was to get filmed for 'worlds wildest police chases', especially since I'm not quite done with breakin yet

I ordered a V1 over the weekend. I'll attend traffic school as soon as they send me the details.

George
Old 05-19-2003, 09:08 AM
zzzyaaa

I have always appeared in court for any traffic ticket I ever got. If you appear in court and the traffic officer does not, you have a good chance that the judge will dismiss it. All you have to say is that you weren't speeding. If the cop isn't there, there is no proof.
Old 05-19-2003, 11:15 AM
failsafe
....for your health

Originally posted by MallocFailure
Thanks for the reply, Jason. I was heading towards Mountain View, somewhere near Mathilda. He was on a motorcycle just after an overpass... when I saw him, it was too late. He had to wait for traffic a bit before he could pull out (I was watching in my rear-view mirror and knew I was toast).... I contemplated ducking off the road, but the last thing I needed was to get filmed for 'worlds wildest police chases', especially since I'm not quite done with breakin yet

I ordered a V1 over the weekend. I'll attend traffic school as soon as they send me the details.

George
I think I know the exact overpass you're talking about (between Wolfe and Mary?) I've often looked at it, driving back from Fry's, thinking I bet I'll see a cop sitting uip there someday.
Old 05-19-2003, 01:01 PM
MallocFailure

Hahaha, I was actually heading back from Fry's when this happened! I picked up a 7200 RPM 80 gig maxtor w/ 8 meg cache for $98 with a $50 rebate... and my savings was quickly negated on that drive home!

Cheers,
George

--
2003 6MT Brickyard Performance 350Z
Old 05-22-2003, 06:04 AM
manoagrrl

Default speeding ticket

My friend just got a speeding ticket on Central near Wolfe as well. They're hiding all along Central in the bushes (literally in the bushes).

Well, if it makes you feel better I too got a speeding ticket not too long after I got my Z. I got my ticket on 280 near the DeAnza offramp. I never had a speeding ticket before this is my first time, however I got clocked at 91 mph in a 65 zone (OOPS!!!). Did the online traffic school thingy. I've learned my lesson and drive like an old lady.
Old 05-22-2003, 07:57 AM
MGV156

Manoagrrl,
Wow, you were able to take traffic school despite getting ticketed at that speed!? My gf got clocked at 92 on a 65 along 880N between 280 and Stevens Creek on-ramp on Sunday. We're going to fight the ticket because we slowed down by the time the officer caught up w/ us. I've been to traffic school twice and got away w/ a couple citations myself, so we'll see if I can get her off on this one.

BTW, do you have the URL for the online traffic school just in case?
Old 05-22-2003, 09:01 AM
manoagrrl

You get a notice once you send in your ticket with the Traffic school option. That is, you have to send in your payment first, then they'll give you all the information on how you would like to take the traffic school - Online or In-class. If you take the online class, you'll have to sign in with the ticket number they give you. Here's the site for the online traffic class: http://onlinetrafficsafety.com/

It takes a bit of time, but at least you can take a break when you want to. You can save where you left off and return until you finish. There's 12 sections and a test after each section. After you finish it all, you have to schedule an in-person exam at a location near you. Be sure you can make that time or else you'll be paying more money to re-schedule and also don't be late. When I took the exam a girl showed up 15 minutes late and the guy wouldn't let her take it, she had to pay money to re-schedule it for another day!

I didn't think I could get off with just traffic school too because it is considered reckless driving (25 mi or more over the speed limit), but apparently it was my first offense and I had that option on the ticket that was sent. I guess I was lucky. To tell you the truth I was going faster than 91 mph too, I got carried away

Wow, so your gf got the ticket on a Sunday too? That's when I got my ticket too. I guess cops have nothing better to do on Sundays.

Well good luck fighting the ticket!!!
Old 05-22-2003, 01:20 PM
whatever
Veteran

There are way too many cops in the south bay. A while back I got one on 680 for going ... 80mph , cop just wanted to pick on someone that day. It was between blackhawk and fremont so it fell under Alameda county... no online traffic school there.... just 1 full day of cramped in a small hotel room with bunch of strangers...
Now day, I use cruise control whenever I can... Set it at 71 and stay on the 2nd left most lane. Don't even need to look out for cops anymore and don't need to worry about fast car coming up behind you.

manoagrrl: just curious, how much was the ticket? My dad's friend just got one for 94 in a 65 zone going from here to vegas. The ticket was like $1150
Old 05-22-2003, 01:42 PM
MGV156

Default $1150!?!?

Ouch!! I would definitely fight that ticket....

A couple years ago, I got pulled over in my Maxima going 95 on 101N around rush hour, just before the 680 junction. The officer asked me how fast I was going and I told him, "Honestly, I wasn't looking at my speedometer because my exit was coming up." He took my license, checked it on his computer, came back w/ my license and told me to merge carefully since it was rush hour. I learned to bs like that after my 2nd round of traffic school....

Hopefully, the V1 I just received yesterday will serve its purpose.
Old 05-22-2003, 01:56 PM
MonkeyBoy

Ticket Assassin
Check out that link.

And the forms section ...

Ticket Assassin Forms

Hope this helps.
Old 05-22-2003, 02:33 PM
failsafe
....for your health

Originally posted by whatever

Now day, I use cruise control whenever I can... Set it at 71 and stay on the 2nd left most lane. Don't even need to look out for cops anymore and don't need to worry about fast car coming up behind you.
Unless Dave's driving on the I-5, in which case he pulls speed runs to 140mph and back
Old 05-22-2003, 07:24 PM
manoagrrl

There are way too many cops in the south bay. A while back I got one on 680 for going ... 80mph , cop just wanted to pick on someone that day. It was between blackhawk and fremont so it fell under Alameda county... no online traffic school there.... just 1 full day of cramped in a small hotel room with bunch of strangers...

manoagrrl: just curious, how much was the ticket? My dad's friend just got one for 94 in a 65 zone going from here to vegas. The ticket was like $1150
I have to agree that there are way too many cops in the bay area period. And they're never around when you need them and around when you don't want them. I usually am really good with checking around the area when I drive fast, but that day my senses were all off (jedi power malfunction- HAHAHAHA).

Yeah I do that too. I hide in the other lanes now (go with the pack) and if I'm driving for a while I use the cruise control to stop my impulses for going fast. Every once in a while I bust loose and drive like a crazy lady.

To answer your question I got off by paying a whopping $321, not as expensive as your dad's friend's ticket, but to the unemployed that's like ALOT.
Old 05-22-2003, 08:29 PM
failsafe
....for your health

Hey Manoagrrl- you registered in Feb but only three posts- welcome to the board or maybe you've been lurking for a while.
Old 05-22-2003, 08:44 PM
GGGVenom

Default Re: I got a speeding ticket!!

Originally posted by MallocFailure
Sunnyvale PD clocked me on Central Expressway at 68 in a 50.

I haven't had a ticket in about 8 years, and I've never had one in the 4 years I've lived in CA, so I'm looking for any suggestions/info.

- Can I attend traffic school? Will I avoid points? I don't want my insurance to go up!

-Thanks for any info.

George
Pay the ticket (ouch) and then go to traffic school. You waste a Saturday, but your insurance will never find out about it and your rates will not go up. You can go to traffic school in California if you have not had a ticket for a year...

Old 05-22-2003, 08:48 PM
manoagrrl

Hi failsaf3,

Yeah I really didn't have much to reply to before. I was just looking around being nosey, lurking about. The forum here isn't as active (I entered the forum world cuz my friend is in one for his s2000, those s2000 guys are posting like crazy and they're funny). I often wonder how much people in the bay area have Z's and are in the forum...just interesting to look about

Laters
Old 05-22-2003, 09:56 PM
Brando222
Ziologist

Default $78

$78 was my fine for going 95 on 280. The cop said the fine is the same for anything between 66 and 99. Once you hit a 100mph it's a whole different story.
Old 05-24-2003, 09:12 AM
whatever
Veteran

Originally posted by failsaf3
Unless Dave's driving on the I-5, in which case he pulls speed runs to 140mph and back
in case there are any cops on this board, this is pure speculation!!

Originally posted by manoagrrl
The forum here isn't as active
For some reason, the norcal regional is not as active as some of the other ones like Socal or Texas for example. I been trying to setup more drives and meets so more norcal folks can get to know each other. So the forum will become more active. There is a techday coming up next weekend. Do drop by since you're from the San Jose area anyways
check out this thread
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=30268
and man, $321's pretty lucky!!...and no points with traffic school. I paid like $150 + another $40 or $80 (forgot whichone) for traffic school for the 80mph... total BS ticket.

Originally posted by Brando222
$78 was my fine for going 95 on 280. The cop said the fine is the same for anything between 66 and 99.
$78 only? I thought it turns exponential after you're 25 over speed limit? Does that mean I donated too much money to the Alameda County Police's xmas ball?
Old 05-24-2003, 10:21 AM
manoagrrl

in case there are any cops on this board, this is pure speculation!!

For some reason, the norcal regional is not as active as some of the other ones like Socal or Texas for example. I been trying to setup more drives and meets so more norcal folks can get to know each other. So the forum will become more active. There is a techday coming up next weekend. Do drop by since you're from the San Jose area anyways
check out this thread
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=30268
and man, $321's pretty lucky!!...and no points with traffic school. I paid like $150 + another $40 or $80 (forgot whichone) for traffic school for the 80mph... total BS ticket.

I'd like to drive by, but I have no tech knowledge on my Z much less cars (other than I know I like sports cars ). I wouldn't mind looking at the other member's cars though, so if that's ok just to visit and look-see then I'll stop by.

Quick Reply: I got a speeding ticket!!