Notices
Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

[Sacramento]: Sacramento Z Owners

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011 | 08:11 AM
JZ33

im pretty sure thats true... in the aggressive fitment thread there is a guy who has it and it does look good... but it is VIS, if it were from Asuka, or Chargespeed, or some big name i would expect the glass (or lexan even) with it... Ive never looked into custom glass, is it expensive?
Old 05-19-2011 | 08:41 AM
Spider Monkey

Originally Posted by Junkster
I have been debating doing this too…looks SOOOOO much better, but I think the practicality of it is the only reason I have kept it…

I havent really read the whole writeup on how to do it though, is it pretty time consuming? Easy to put back together if you decide to?
The true delete is not reversable bro. The entire wipre harness is removed and the hole is sealed in.
Old 05-19-2011 | 08:41 AM
Jermy

I would imagine having a lexan window made would be cheaper than glass too lol
Old 05-19-2011 | 09:14 AM
JZ33

i wonder if the clear piece (i dont know if its actually glass..) from a roadster Z would fit... that would be the easiest and cheapest route...
Old 05-19-2011 | 09:18 AM
Junkster

Originally Posted by 5150_91
Has anyone done the rear-wiper delete? I'm probably going to do it tomorrow.
Originally Posted by Spider Monkey
The true delete is not reversable bro. The entire wipre harness is removed and the hole is sealed in.
There is no way to do it and be able to reverse it?!!? there has to be a way to do it so you can put it back to stock...
Old 05-19-2011 | 09:21 AM
Flyinion

Originally Posted by JZ33
nope... i use mine all the time haha
I don't use mine much other than to clear the sitting water when I first get in during rain, or to clean 20 tons of pollen off during the spring, but I think it's just too much trouble to remove something like that. I think it already looks fairly stealthy with black wiper against the black "framed" glass so it doesn't really bother me anyway.
Old 05-19-2011 | 09:22 AM
Junkster

im pretty sure thats true... in the aggressive fitment thread there is a guy who has it and it does look good... but it is VIS, if it were from Asuka, or Chargespeed, or some big name i would expect the glass (or lexan even) with it... Ive never looked into custom glass, is it expensive?
If it was Asuka it would cost 1000x more haha...I think 800 bucks for that tunnel hatch is more than i would ever want to pay for something like that haha...

I really like the look of it though...do want...good idea on the lexan thought, im curious to know how much weight you actually save by doing this though...i would imagine quite a bit since that huge window is removed...
Old 05-19-2011 | 09:24 AM
Junkster

Originally Posted by Flyinion
I don't use mine much other than to clear the sitting water when I first get in during rain, or to clean 20 tons of pollen off during the spring, but I think it's just too much trouble to remove something like that. I think it already looks fairly stealthy with black wiper against the black "framed" glass so it doesn't really bother me anyway.
I thought the same thing before i started seeing pics of it deleted...its looks LEGIT
Old 05-19-2011 | 09:24 AM
Flyinion

There is no way to do it and be able to reverse it?!!? there has to be a way to do it so you can put it back to stock...
I would think it would be reversible (as long as you kept all the removed parts), it just wouldn't be as easy because you'd have to unseal the hole. I'm assuming he means the hole was fixed to match the rest of the body and not just a plug of some kind so yeah that would be messier.
Old 05-19-2011 | 09:25 AM
Flyinion

I thought the same thing before i started seeing pics of it deleted...its looks LEGIT
Oh yeah I can see how it would look good, it's just not worth it enough to me to deal with doing it (at least I don't think it is, but I could change my mind lol)
Old 05-19-2011 | 09:35 AM
Junkster

yea i thougth you could just pull that plug out and re install the crap...the honda guys do something similar on the integras and i know they can reverse it...Its not like you need to put THAT much silicone on it to seal it up from the elements...its just a tiney hole lol
Old 05-19-2011 | 09:40 AM
JZ33

you can do it either way, if you weld it closed then its closed... if you just seal it, take the inner plastics off and gently push it out and replace the wiper assembly...
Old 05-19-2011 | 09:49 AM
Junkster

wiper delete party then eh? whos down? lol
Old 05-19-2011 | 09:58 AM
Flyinion

wiper delete party then eh? whos down? lol
LOL damn now you got me interested. I mostly avoided it because it wasn't important enough to me to go read up and figure out how to do it. Guess I'll have to see pics first though, silicon plug just sounds tacky looking to me to have a spot like that in the middle of the finish (and with my luck I'd screw it up with my buffer later on and have to redo it).
Old 05-19-2011 | 10:02 AM
JZ33

lol id be down to help, if i can get the ok from my boss you could just bring it to the shop...
Old 05-19-2011 | 10:16 AM
Junkster

^ lol well they sell wierd plastic looking plugs that you use for like ikea furniture (that covers over bolts when you put they panels of a desk together...You can get em at like home depot in different sizes that should fit right in the hole so you seal it up and smash it in there...you wont see anything other than the plug flush with the window...Thats what it looks like in all the pics i see...not tacky at all IMHO

JZ33, hmmm! i wouldnt mind using a lift to do my coilovers! hollaaaa!!! we could knock that out in no time lol...

Is your boss usually pretty cool on that? I could buy ya lunch or something or a drink...whatevz...anything beats laying on hard concrete installing mods
Old 05-19-2011 | 10:23 AM
Fresherest

JZ33, hmmm! i wouldnt mind using a lift to do my coilovers! hollaaaa!!! we could knock that out in no time lol...

Is your boss usually pretty cool on that? I could buy ya lunch or something or a drink...whatevz...anything beats laying on hard concrete installing mods
at least you have concrete! i was layin in dirt/gravel changin my oil yesterday....
doing anything at my house is a total beeeotch.... but i do it anyways!
Old 05-19-2011 | 10:33 AM
Flyinion

What are you guys using for swirl removers (like for the fine "wind scratches") and such, or other polish type compounds? Or do you guys just take it in and have it done? Looking to add something to my lineup of stuff (mostly for friends' cars) but I think my Z is getting to the point where it needs some of that too. It's hard to tell on silver unless the sun hits it right (a good thing I guess).
Old 05-19-2011 | 10:53 AM
Junkster

^ just a good waxing and buffing with some elbo grease will take care of alot of swirl marks...just have to take your time and be patient, but they do have different grades of meguires polish compounds...just start out mild and work your way up
Old 05-19-2011 | 10:56 AM
5150_91

nope... i use mine all the time haha
Ive used mine..twice I think?

I have been debating doing this too…looks SOOOOO much better, but I think the practicality of it is the only reason I have kept it…

I havent really read the whole writeup on how to do it though, is it pretty time consuming? Easy to put back together if you decide to?
It should be pretty simple. Probably would only take 30 minutes. All you have to do really is remove the trunk hatch panel and unscrew the 3 wiper motor bolts, Tape up the old wiring to prevent rattling. Then after painting the plug, plug/seal the hole obviously. And yes if you were to do it this way it would not be hard to put back on at all.

Last edited by 5150_91; 05-19-2011 at 11:01 AM.

Quick Reply: [Sacramento]: Sacramento Z Owners