Notices
Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

[Sacramento]: Sacramento Z Owners

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011 | 10:04 PM
Flyinion

Originally Posted by JZ33
my boss specializes in paint... would you be willing to pay a little to have it done by a pro? His paint work has won some pretty nice title, like best paint at Hot August Nights...
I'm sure I could, depending on the cost. I'm pretty sure it would be cheaper than me buying a rotary and learning how to do it myself. I'm thinking it's mostly on the trunk lid (noticed it pretty good while washing the car today) but it could be over quite a bit of the car.

Since I already have stuff coming, I will probably see what the swirl remover and polish can do to it first and go from there. It might be that I just have some haze built up on the clearcoat making it more visible due to relying on my stupidity of getting roped into the Xzilon "5 year warranty and never have to reapply it every 6 months" paint sealant from Future Nissan and just running it through touchless car washes for the first 1 1/2 years.
Old 05-19-2011 | 10:17 PM
JZ33

it wouldnt be much at all...
Old 05-19-2011 | 10:32 PM
Flyinion

it wouldnt be much at all...
Cool, cause I was just talking to the guys on Autogeek forums and they confirmed orange peel needs wetsanding. That scares the crap out of me because the only other time I've done that is a 1x3 inch area around the fuel door on my old 98 Saturn SL2. This is obviously a much bigger job than that and it's been like 9 years since I did that. So uh, what kind of $$$ is "not much at all"?
Old 05-20-2011 | 04:45 AM
JZ33

ill talk to him before i give you an amount because i dont want to say one thing and it be another haha i wont be able to talk to him until tomorrow though...
Old 05-20-2011 | 08:21 AM
Zedhead07

Wet sanding can be tricky. I'm sure if you use a real fine grit (2500-3000) and take your time you'll do fine. You will definetely need a rotary buffer though. I have a dewalt variable but I'm too far away to loan it to ya. Definetely wanna practice with it if you do decide to do it yourself. You can burn through in a heartbeat! Problem with killing the peel on one panel is you end having to do the rest cause most have factory peel anyway.
Old 05-20-2011 | 08:58 AM
Junkster

Originally Posted by Flyinion
I ended up picking this up. www.autogeek.net/wolfgang-swirl-removers.html

I'm a AG addict anyway I guess, I needed to get some more buffing pads and I wanted the Wolfgang sealant too. Also a new backing plate to replace my fairly worn 8 year old Meguiars one. Pretty good deal, 15% off, free shipping, and no
tax, saved about $40.
Never heard of it, but then again im not real big on buying legit products for detailing…Ive always had good luck with my run of the mill wallmart wax’s and poishers…Lmk how it works for ya, looks kinda pricey though 

Sigh I'm turning into one of you post ****** lol. Anyway, yeah I have NO idea how my is so scratched up. I honestly have no idea what I'm doing to it. No jewelry, watch, etc. It's really weird.
That crap is so delicate you can peel it off with your finger nails…hella fail on nissans part…duno what they were thinking, mine is in prestine condition with the exception of like 2 SMALL scratches from the PO. Other than that its perfect. I was going to actually rattle can mine gloss or semi gloss black…vinyl MIGHT present the same problems as the original stuff…I duno though…thoughts? Rattle can I know looks good and is probably cheaper than vinyl…

Originally Posted by Jermy
6 hours later, the tahoe has been washed, claybar'd and waxed. Im fkn tired. but its shiny as hell now, looks like a brand new suv. next is my Z, but no idea when im gonna do that one lol
I havent waxed my Z since I got it almost 6 months ago  I need to get on that….she is FILTHY right now…ughhhh

Junkster, my boss gave the ok you just gotta buy him lunch or drinks or something...
haha we could do mine too, ill buy the stuff just let me know what it is... and you can come by the shop too btw, im allowed to bring people i trust...
That’s wasup! When you available?

Cool, cause I was just talking to the guys on Autogeek forums and they confirmed orange peel needs wetsanding. That scares the crap out of me because the only other time I've done that is a 1x3 inch area around the fuel door on my old 98 Saturn SL2. This is obviously a much bigger job than that and it's been like 9 years since I did that. So uh, what kind of $$$ is "not much at all"?
I personally wouldn’t spend that much time on stock Z paint…your more than likely to make a mistake with something like that…but that’s just my opinion…

Originally Posted by Zedhead07
Wet sanding can be tricky. I'm sure if you use a real fine grit (2500-3000) and take your time you'll do fine. You will definetely need a rotary buffer though. I have a dewalt variable but I'm too far away to loan it to ya. Definetely wanna practice with it if you do decide to do it yourself. You can burn through in a heartbeat! Problem with killing the peel on one panel is you end having to do the rest cause most have factory peel anyway.
Exactly…Orange peal is kinda unavoidable in most stock paint jobs…I kinda learned to not let body work bug me so much after I repainted my last car…so much of a hassle and so expensive! blahhh
Old 05-20-2011 | 09:38 AM
Flyinion

ill talk to him before i give you an amount because i dont want to say one thing and it be another haha i wont be able to talk to him until tomorrow though...
No problem. I'm not exactly in a rush to get it done. I was just realizing that it was there and looking into how to fix it at this point.
Old 05-20-2011 | 09:41 AM
Flyinion

Originally Posted by Zedhead07
Problem with killing the peel on one panel is you end having to do the rest cause most have factory peel anyway.
Yeah I was thinking about that too, so it may not really be worth it. You really only see it in certain angles and types of light. It can't be seen really in direct light but for instance if it's parked in the shade of a building and you hit the right angle looking at the sky reflections, you'll see it pretty good.
Old 05-20-2011 | 09:47 AM
Flyinion

Originally Posted by Junkster
Never heard of it, but then again im not real big on buying legit products for detailing…Ive always had good luck with my run of the mill wallmart wax’s and poishers…Lmk how it works for ya, looks kinda pricey though
Will do. I think it's a decent deal considering it's two bottles of stuff and not just one. I used to use Meguiar's all the time on my other cars and it's definitely good, but I've been using some of Autogeek's Pinnacle line of stuff and it's just taken it to that next level. I've NEVER seen any of my other metallic painted cars have the same look I get with the wax I'm using now.

EDIT: I'll have some examples next weekend, doing a black F150 that should show a pretty big difference in before/after shots.

Last edited by Flyinion; 05-20-2011 at 09:49 AM.
Old 05-20-2011 | 10:10 AM
JZ33

wont be available until monday or tuesday...
Old 05-20-2011 | 10:28 AM
Jermy

Originally Posted by Junkster

I havent waxed my Z since I got it almost 6 months ago  I need to get on that….she is FILTHY right now…ughhhh

lol umm, i never waxed a car before, this is my 3rd car, and this car is almost 3 years old haha, my subaru was only coated in dirt 90% of the time, comes with owning a suby i used Mother's Claybar kit and Mothers carnuba wax. came out ****

Last edited by Jermy; 05-20-2011 at 10:36 AM.
Old 05-20-2011 | 01:30 PM
inqui-Z-tor

Pacific Rim Street Festival returns on Sunday (22May11)

SPICES is the theme of the 19th annual Pacific Rim Street Festival, which takes place Sunday in Old Sacramento and around nearby Westfield Downtown Plaza.

Festival hours are 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. The opening ceremony is at 11:30 a.m. Admission is free. (The Bee is an event partner.)

For more information: www.pacificrimstreetfest.com
Old 05-20-2011 | 02:14 PM
JZ33

Originally Posted by Jermy
lol umm, i never waxed a car before, this is my 3rd car, and this car is almost 3 years old haha, my subaru was only coated in dirt 90% of the time, comes with owning a suby i used Mother's Claybar kit and Mothers carnuba wax. came out ****
youve only had 3 cars....
Old 05-20-2011 | 02:18 PM
Jermy

yeah lol, an 03 focus ZX3, riced out before y'all knew what rice was! my 06 wrx, and this car. and an 05 acura RL but that didnt last long and it was mine and my moms.

and what i did today

Last edited by Jermy; 05-20-2011 at 02:20 PM.
Old 05-20-2011 | 02:37 PM
JZ33

haha thats legit now! ive gone through at least 6 cars...
Old 05-20-2011 | 08:27 PM
ZeeForce

There is a RUN tomorrow if anyone is interested. The thread is here:

https://my350z.com/forum/northern-ca...21-2011-a.html
Old 05-21-2011 | 02:34 PM
Jermy

Ohai!
Old 05-22-2011 | 12:17 AM
JZ33

4 coats of clear and my hood looks FAN-FU*KIN-TASTIC.
Old 05-22-2011 | 07:14 AM
Jermy

4 coats of clear and my hood looks FAN-FU*KIN-TASTIC.
pix nao!
Old 05-22-2011 | 08:11 AM
JZ33

lol tomorrow... im house sitting for a friend and i dont have my camera...

Quick Reply: [Sacramento]: Sacramento Z Owners