Notices
Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

Calaveras Night Touge (Video Inside)

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2010, 06:01 PM
mcarther101

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by M1r4cL3
Do whatcha gotta do. I certainly understand the thrill of it as 1am at Salmon falls used to be one of my favorite hobbies. I just kinda went into retired status after I almost hit a deer on the otherside of a hairpin ... and then the *incident* (see sacbee) happened not too long after. Guess it just really hit home to me.
My friend almost hit a deer once... but it decided to jump over the cliff instead... I'll never know what happened to that deer. I'm more afraid of running into the cows that sometimes walk the roads lol...

I am leaning more into track days now though, started registering for them finally. Touge is sort of the poor mans track. It is what sparked my interest in cars and motor-sports though.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:19 PM
M1r4cL3

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hear ya on the poor man's track day ... starting there was kinda the route I took too.

I felt like getting involved with AutoX and then HPDEs gave me a way to scratch that go fast itch. Funny how the sterotype for guys who do "racing" events is that they wanna drive fast all the time on the street. I found it was quite the opposite. I actually just wanted to chill and not take those kinda risks nemore.
Old 02-11-2010, 12:29 PM
Future Z owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ I agree, I just dont want to show up to an autox or track day bone stock i would feel foolish saving money for suspension work and engine mods then i will hit up track days
Old 02-11-2010, 01:45 PM
M1r4cL3

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Future Z owner
^ I agree, I just dont want to show up to an autox or track day bone stock i would feel foolish saving money for suspension work and engine mods then i will hit up track days
IMO, a person would be foolish to start doing engine/suspension mods without first testing out the car and how you want to drive it. One can blow alot of money on suspension/engine mods without getting any real value for it. AutoX and HPDE are great at giving a driver the skills he needs to make proper evaluations of the mods. IMO, without learning how to drive the car approaching its limits one isn't really able to get a true feeling if those mods are even working well.

I've done couple years of AutoX in a Street Tire Stock class with no suspension or engine work and found the car very capable. I finished pretty high (top 10 overall pax) last season in my region with JUST a good set of tires and brake pads.

Also, once a person's mindset changes from "what is the next coolest mod i can get" to "how do I mod to improve my lap time" then your whole modding strategy changes.

I guess what I'm trying to say is don't worry about looking foolish at driving events. I guarantee you that most of the people really into the sport will applaud you for "doing it the right way".

Last edited by M1r4cL3; 02-11-2010 at 01:58 PM.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:41 PM
Project DSR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

More seat time, parts later
Old 02-11-2010, 05:18 PM
mcarther101

I figured out the sound issue. The waterproof sealed enclosure inhibits sound recording (obviously), so it picks up more wind noise than anything else... when I put the open backing on instead, sound quality improved dramatically. I'll post a vid later... still processing.
Old 02-12-2010, 10:07 PM
Future Z owner

Originally Posted by M1r4cL3
IMO, a person would be foolish to start doing engine/suspension mods without first testing out the car and how you want to drive it. One can blow alot of money on suspension/engine mods without getting any real value for it. AutoX and HPDE are great at giving a driver the skills he needs to make proper evaluations of the mods. IMO, without learning how to drive the car approaching its limits one isn't really able to get a true feeling if those mods are even working well.

I've done couple years of AutoX in a Street Tire Stock class with no suspension or engine work and found the car very capable. I finished pretty high (top 10 overall pax) last season in my region with JUST a good set of tires and brake pads.

Also, once a person's mindset changes from "what is the next coolest mod i can get" to "how do I mod to improve my lap time" then your whole modding strategy changes.

I guess what I'm trying to say is don't worry about looking foolish at driving events. I guarantee you that most of the people really into the sport will applaud you for "doing it the right way".
Now I know and knowing is have the battle!!!!!! you just gave me so much to think about! thank you
Old 02-12-2010, 11:42 PM
mcarther101

Originally Posted by Future Z owner
Now I know and knowing is half the battle!!!!!! you just gave me so much to think about! thank you
Fixed. Spelling is the other half... jk :P
Old 02-13-2010, 01:11 AM
Future Z owner

I am special LOLz I wanna hangout haven't seen anyone for days and I kinda wanna do a nice cruise on some twisties no crazy touge battles for me
Old 02-13-2010, 06:44 AM
Cali-Darkness
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by mcarther101
Fixed. Spelling is the other half... jk :P
Old 02-16-2010, 10:31 PM
mcarther101

Okay, I have the ultra fast laptop with the i7 processor now... I now need an ultra fast 15000RPM external hard drive with a firewire 800 connection to make for flawless video editing.

Here's a test with 2 of the 720p @ 60fps video files reading off my laptops internal hard drive and the 3rd reading from my external hard drive:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/g_ZWl8pewz4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/g_ZWl8pewz4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Anyone know of a good external hard drive as described above?
Old 02-19-2010, 03:03 PM
Project DSR

Solid state?