Notices
Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

Norcal Track Days

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 12:50 PM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by forced_04
hhahahhaa thats Denny, He cut a 2.29 in the rain!!!

where were you at man, hella people went.
Ah, I thought it was dry all day Saturday, and just wet on Sunday when some others were there. I'm glad I didn't go after all. The rain is fun and is a great for learning, but my last few events were wet so I've had enough of those for awhile (minus the CityTech track day when my Z's RMS took a dump). I did get to drive a friend's SC'd 350 for the rest of the day though! Too bad it - like other F/I cars when driven hard - got too hot (oil).
Old 03-08-2011, 01:05 PM
SE5spd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

excuses, excuses..... Pads/rotors we could have done in an hour at the track, work is meant to be taken off, and the rain/dry was the same amount of fun.

next time I guess
Oh for sure I'll be there next time.
Old 03-08-2011, 02:08 PM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by SE5spd
Oh for sure I'll be there next time.
Time for this Bride seat!
Old 03-08-2011, 03:06 PM
ntrinsik

Rain's pretty fun for a track day. I just don't like autocrossing in the rain. I feel like its a hundred times more difficult..
Old 03-08-2011, 04:04 PM
forced_04

Originally Posted by scotts300
Ah, I thought it was dry all day Saturday, and just wet on Sunday when some others were there. I'm glad I didn't go after all. The rain is fun and is a great for learning, but my last few events were wet so I've had enough of those for awhile (minus the CityTech track day when my Z's RMS took a dump). I did get to drive a friend's SC'd 350 for the rest of the day though! Too bad it - like other F/I cars when driven hard - got too hot (oil).

it was NCRC both days, saturday was dry until the very end of the day and Sunday was pouring until the very end of the day. the track was damp until the last two sessions solo then open. even then only the line was clear the rest was still pretty wet.

Man an instructor cut a 2.14 in a bone stock mini cooper S (supercharged ones) factory tires and pads. that was on the last session of the day open class.

I can see how you can get enough rain days though, you really have to concentrate.
Old 03-08-2011, 04:08 PM
forced_04

yeah Sina, seats are crucial from what I hear. goose was evening complaining about his seat. and the crown vic was retardedly hard to hang on in.
Old 03-08-2011, 05:04 PM
SE5spd

ahaha Persian new years is right around the corner which means, money, money, moneyyyyyyyy MAYBE I might have to pick it up, how much you selling it for?
Old 03-08-2011, 05:06 PM
SE5spd

yeah Sina, seats are crucial from what I hear. goose was evening complaining about his seat. and the crown vic was retardedly hard to hang on in.
i dont know wtf he did too his seat...he showed me last night and it was wobbling all over the place! he said he wants a fixed back seat for his Z. I guess when you are going that fast around turns you really need that seat to stick to you.
Old 03-09-2011, 06:24 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

it was NCRC both days, saturday was dry until the very end of the day and Sunday was pouring until the very end of the day. the track was damp until the last two sessions solo then open. even then only the line was clear the rest was still pretty wet.

Man an instructor cut a 2.14 in a bone stock mini cooper S (supercharged ones) factory tires and pads. that was on the last session of the day open class.

I can see how you can get enough rain days though, you really have to concentrate.
That's haulin' pretty good for a stock vehicle. Most of the Zs that go to events that have basic mods and better tires run just a few seconds faster than that. I used to have a Cooper S and did take it to Thunderhill, but never had timing back then like I do now.

Which car does Goose drive? A good seat is key. By no means does it have to be a fixed-back, but one with bigger side bolsters is always welcome. Our seats are pretty good in stock form - I even put a set in my 300. But when you get into big cornering forces, it's nice to have something a little more.

Originally Posted by SE5spd
ahaha Persian new years is right around the corner which means, money, money, moneyyyyyyyy MAYBE I might have to pick it up, how much you selling it for?
You were the last one to post in the thread!

https://my350z.com/forum/norcal-mark...ride-seat.html

Last edited by scotts300; 03-09-2011 at 06:29 AM.
Old 03-09-2011, 08:32 AM
SE5spd

^ that was a while ago lol

And he drives a revup, pictures of his car are posted on page 3 along with the crown vic
Old 03-09-2011, 10:18 AM
solidfish

That's haulin' pretty good for a stock vehicle. Most of the Zs that go to events that have basic mods and better tires run just a few seconds faster than that. I used to have a Cooper S and did take it to Thunderhill, but never had timing back then like I do now.
Faster than 2:14 on street tires?? I havent officially timed my runs yet but I think I'm doing much slower than that, like in the high 2:19s to low 2:20s. I need to follow you to a track again Scott. Need your critique...
Old 03-09-2011, 11:33 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by solidfish
Faster than 2:14 on street tires?? I havent officially timed my runs yet but I think I'm doing much slower than that, like in the high 2:19s to low 2:20s. I need to follow you to a track again Scott. Need your critique...
Yeah, I think Patrick, King, and Rob (in the 370) all run in the 2:12 area. Patrick was on R888s, so not a slick, but certainly an aggressive street tire. Cars are much faster these days - I remember watching T-hill videos before my first track day ever, and guys in 300Zs - these were fast guys in 340rwhp cars - were running high 2:teens (on street tires). My best in the 300 back then was 2:10:xx, which was on 275 Hoosier R3S04s. The 300 is WAY faster from 7-10 and the two straights, but the 350 is faster everywhere else with half the horsepower, which makes up for the slower speed in the straights.
Old 03-10-2011, 04:40 PM
pchio

Received 14 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I think Patrick, King, and Rob (in the 370) all run in the 2:12 area. Patrick was on R888s, so not a slick, but certainly an aggressive street tire. Cars are much faster these days - I remember watching T-hill videos before my first track day ever, and guys in 300Zs - these were fast guys in 340rwhp cars - were running high 2:teens (on street tires). My best in the 300 back then was 2:10:xx, which was on 275 Hoosier R3S04s. The 300 is WAY faster from 7-10 and the two straights, but the 350 is faster everywhere else with half the horsepower, which makes up for the slower speed in the straights.

I did 2'09" on with a brand new Nt-01 last time at T-hill, but they were toasted with 1 time brake locked up and flat spotted the front tires.

Did u do a 2'05" at T-hill, Scott? That was insane. I will be doing the Fatlace Wordup drift event at Great America this satuday. Its gonna be fun.

By the way, last event Infineon track day was fun. Managed a 2'01~ with Bridgestone Street tires and slightly wet condition. A good practice for my 25hr Lemon race at the end of this month. Are you running too, Scott?
Old 03-10-2011, 04:44 PM
pchio

We gotta get all the Zs out for a track event and overwhelm all the S2k. They are truly the closer rival of our cars.
Old 03-10-2011, 10:58 PM
dnguyent

Anyone thinking of doing the April 1 DE event at Thunderhill w/NCRC? I just signed up with a former my350z track addict, daveh. I'm gonna be a little rusty tho...it has been a long time...

-Don
Old 03-11-2011, 11:25 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by pchio
I did 2'09" on with a brand new Nt-01 last time at T-hill, but they were toasted with 1 time brake locked up and flat spotted the front tires.

Did u do a 2'05" at T-hill, Scott? That was insane. I will be doing the Fatlace Wordup drift event at Great America this satuday. Its gonna be fun.

By the way, last event Infineon track day was fun. Managed a 2'01~ with Bridgestone Street tires and slightly wet condition. A good practice for my 25hr Lemon race at the end of this month. Are you running too, Scott?
I was going to drive that same Infineon day to practice/prep for Lemons at the end of the month, but our team bailed out. I was invited to drive on another team - which I highly considered - but just decided not to so that I can put those funds towards caging the 350.

2:09 on NT01s is cooking! I did log two 2:05.xx laps that day! I had a lot of grip apex'ing T1 and diving into T2. Most of my laps were 2:07 or so.

We gotta get all the Zs out for a track event and overwhelm all the S2k. They are truly the closer rival of our cars.
Absolutely!

Originally Posted by dnguyent
Anyone thinking of doing the April 1 DE event at Thunderhill w/NCRC? I just signed up with a former my350z track addict, daveh. I'm gonna be a little rusty tho...it has been a long time...

-Don
Hey Don! I'd love to join you and DaveM3h out there, but we are doing the 2-day NCRC event at BW on 4/2 and 4/3. You guys should come down for that!
Old 03-11-2011, 11:17 PM
pchio

2:09 on NT01s is cooking! I did log two 2:05.xx laps that day! I had a lot of grip apex'ing T1 and diving into T2. Most of my laps were 2:07 or so.
T1 is what I am having the most problem. It is so hard for me to keep my car balance during the turn unless I slow down quite a bit at the end of the front straight. Any pointer?
Old 03-14-2011, 10:17 AM
solidfish

T1 is what I am having the most problem. It is so hard for me to keep my car balance during the turn unless I slow down quite a bit at the end of the front straight. Any pointer?
Thats the same problem I had before ending up off the track. I'm still not comfortable going the full length in forth and tend to grab fifth near the end, which I know I shouldn't.

http://www.gotbluemilk.com/web110305...s/image14.html

About how fast do you take that turn? I know it depends on the car setup, but I'm hearing it should be near 90?
Old 03-14-2011, 10:50 AM
dnguyent

T1 was the scariest turn for me for the longest time. It does get better with more seat time. I've never lost it or had any major corrections on that turn, so I'm probably leaving some time there, but like I said, it's a very fast and scary turn. I've been to Thill about 40 times now, and I still treat that turn with respect even though there seems to be plenty of runoff area. Also, I think the position of the flagging station psyches me out a little.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:53 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

So. . . a few of us are signed up for Buttonwillow April 2/3. You all should DO IT!

I'd have to ride with you to understand what isn't balanced. On that day, I was hitting the exit at 99mph. On days that I didn't have as much grip (running 2:08s or so), it was ~95mph.

Originally Posted by solidfish
Thats the same problem I had before ending up off the track. I'm still not comfortable going the full length in forth and tend to grab fifth near the end, which I know I shouldn't.

http://www.gotbluemilk.com/web110305...s/image14.html

About how fast do you take that turn? I know it depends on the car setup, but I'm hearing it should be near 90?
I started just leaving it in 5th since T1 is such a high-speed turn anyway. You can do all your downshifting as you tuck into T2. I also charge into T2 hard now, then brake hard on the inside. I used to go in more gently, then cruise around about 1/3rd track out (from the left). I think the tight, inside, line is faster. Maybe worth .5-.75s doing it this way.

Originally Posted by dnguyent
T1 was the scariest turn for me for the longest time. It does get better with more seat time. I've never lost it or had any major corrections on that turn, so I'm probably leaving some time there, but like I said, it's a very fast and scary turn. I've been to Thill about 40 times now, and I still treat that turn with respect even though there seems to be plenty of runoff area. Also, I think the position of the flagging station psyches me out a little.
I agree with your points. Have you ever tried leaving the Z in 5th there and doing your downshifting (to third I assume) as you brake in T2?

Quick Reply: Norcal Track Days