Notices
Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

Norcal Track Days

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 08:36 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ntrinsik
Any idea when dates for track dates in the summer/fall are posted for Laguna? Have a friend from the mid-west who wants to come out for one.

Also aiming for the June 6th or 24th Thunderhill date.. and possibly that September weekend for Buttonwillow. Still gotta make sure I pass the broomstick test though.

Scott, know of a good fabricator in the area? I've heard of TC Design.. May need to do a custom seat mounting to clear the rollbar.
I think the clubs have already put placeholders on all their dates, so they will stand as they are unless somebody cancels. Summer dates at Laguna are always thin, so get in now while you can! BW a few weekends ago was awesome. I camped there, and put in almost 300 miles on the track between the two days. NCRC runs a great event and their prices are great, but my biggest costs were use of 75% of my Hoosiers, 1/2 a set of brake pads, and about 4 tanks of gas! Ouch! I'm glad I saved some coin on the hotel!

We use a guy in Sand City that does stuff within the Datsun community. I will see him tomorrow, so can ask if he would be interested in this type of job. He is the one doing the NHRA roll bar in my Z32, and maybe I'll have him do the cage in my Z33.
Old 04-15-2011, 12:05 PM
SE5spd

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone going to the 6/24/11 NCRC thunderhill?
Old 04-17-2011, 11:12 PM
DivZero

I believe there is a free karting event at Marina this weekend. It's geared at getting people into the sport.

Also, my new engine is burning oil too. How hard can piston rings be to get right?
Old 04-18-2011, 07:28 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Cali*Coast
I believe there is a free karting event at Marina this weekend. It's geared at getting people into the sport.

Also, my new engine is burning oil too. How hard can piston rings be to get right?
Any details?

Also, if you're around and available tomorrow to cruise by Laguna Seca, we'll be there.

Bummer on the engine, at least you'll keep getting a fresh one (and they'd better be giving you a loaner car. I'd expect that from Infiniti, but you'd have to beg for one from Nissan).
Old 04-18-2011, 07:52 AM
ntrinsik

Originally Posted by scotts300
Any details?

Also, if you're around and available tomorrow to cruise by Laguna Seca, we'll be there.

Bummer on the engine, at least you'll keep getting a fresh one (and they'd better be giving you a loaner car. I'd expect that from Infiniti, but you'd have to beg for one from Nissan).
http://www.baautox.com/forum/index.p...art=0&rid=1413
Those of you who autoX at the Marina airport have probably seen the kart races across the field on the next big piece of tarmac.

The kart club http://www.montereybaykarters.com/ and local shop http://www.fastech-racing.com/ have at least one demo maybe more kart(s) they lend out for FREE on practice days to anyone that wants to give it a try. They're trying to get people "hooked" on the sport.

The next practice day is Saturday March 4th and the one after that is Saturday April 23 - just show up and try it or call the guys at Fastech Racing 831.384.5278 for more information.
You need long pants, long sleeves, and a helmet.

You do have to buy a pit pass (~$5) to get in but that's all. These are not the toys that you rent at GoKart racer or somewhere like that, they're the real deal > 2G's cornering force and handling only surpassed by Indy or F1 cars. These are the kind of karts that are also run on full size race tracks like Laguna Seca and lay waste to all but the fastest cars times.
Have fun at Laguna tomorrow! Wish I could make it.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:12 PM
DivZero

Any details?

I'll make it out there if I can knock out some serious homework tonight! What time will you be there?

Last time they swapped it I got an M37. It didn't handle as good as the G35 but that thing was fast in a straight line! It was also noticeably more luxurious. I made sure to keep my pinky up while I was driving it!

I've noticed slight burning via smoke from the tailpipe for a while. That mostly happens on uphill drives. [Continuing our talk from the UFO school, this is something else which might narrow down the issue.] But I hadn't been burning much. However, once I pulled in my driveway after the UFO cruise, lots of oil smoke started coming up from behind the engine. Sure enough when I unscrewed the oil cap there was smoke inside the engine as well. Why I'm more concerned now is that I really wasn't pushing it hard on the cruise. The car was getting lots of airflow, temps were 70 degrees and I grannied it the last 30 minutes (plus I was under 4000K most of the drive and took a 1 hour break midway). I've started tracking my oil loss to see how serious the issue is.

My powertrain warranty is up in September. If I get a new engine I'll need to break it in for 3000 miles which will hurt at autoX events this summer (and my title chances). Also, they're only replacing the short block now instead of the long block so there's more room for technician error in the rebuild. Not quite sure what I'm going to do.

With that novel written, time to get to the library so I can make it to Seca tomorrow.
Old 04-18-2011, 10:23 PM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Cali*Coast
I'll make it out there if I can knock out some serious homework tonight! What time will you be there?

Last time they swapped it I got an M37. It didn't handle as good as the G35 but that thing was fast in a straight line! It was also noticeably more luxurious. I made sure to keep my pinky up while I was driving it!

I've noticed slight burning via smoke from the tailpipe for a while. That mostly happens on uphill drives. [Continuing our talk from the UFO school, this is something else which might narrow down the issue.] But I hadn't been burning much. However, once I pulled in my driveway after the UFO cruise, lots of oil smoke started coming up from behind the engine. Sure enough when I unscrewed the oil cap there was smoke inside the engine as well. Why I'm more concerned now is that I really wasn't pushing it hard on the cruise. The car was getting lots of airflow, temps were 70 degrees and I grannied it the last 30 minutes (plus I was under 4000K most of the drive and took a 1 hour break midway). I've started tracking my oil loss to see how serious the issue is.

My powertrain warranty is up in September. If I get a new engine I'll need to break it in for 3000 miles which will hurt at autoX events this summer (and my title chances). Also, they're only replacing the short block now instead of the long block so there's more room for technician error in the rebuild. Not quite sure what I'm going to do.

With that novel written, time to get to the library so I can make it to Seca tomorrow.
Should be there by 7:30, and there all day. We can chat about the car stuff tomorrow!
Old 04-20-2011, 08:26 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

It was a great day out at Laguna yesterday. We were 7 350Zs, 1 370Z (another one was there), a TTG35, and a 240Z. I fought with a brake issue after the first run group, as the pedal went to the floor as I entered the corkscrew! Thankfully, it was on the checkered flag lap, so I was only going about 70% and managed my way through it. I missed the 2nd session, but things went well for the 3rd, 4th, and 5th sessions.

Pics coming.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:04 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

as the pedal went to the floor as I entered the corkscrew!

That is not fun... what was your diagnosis?
Old 04-21-2011, 07:06 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7

That is not fun... what was your diagnosis?
The inner pad on the fronts were at about 30%. I think that was just too thin, which allowed the conducted heat to get through and heat up the brake fluid past its boiling point. I changed pads and bled, and things were better although not perfect. I was running on a set of BFG R1s, but the pads overpowered them. The system was good, i.e. I had enough grip for the braking force I was requesting, once I switched back to the Hoosiers. The pedal was still a little soft though, so I may need a complete brake flush.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:32 PM
alving

Hey guys I did a write-up with lots of pics from 'Seca
http://www.zcarblog.com/2011/04/20/e...ort-41911.html

enjoy!

ps Scott just got passed by a silver Z
Old 04-22-2011, 12:54 PM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by alving
Hey guys I did a write-up with lots of pics from 'Seca
http://www.zcarblog.com/2011/04/20/e...ort-41911.html

enjoy!

ps Scott just got passed by a silver Z
No way, dude! That's YOU giving ME the point by! It doesn't count if you were gridded in front of me and I had to chase you down!

Old 05-26-2011, 10:26 AM
solidfish

Anyone have plans for an event in June / July? Anyone doing the NCRC thunderhill events?

Last edited by solidfish; 05-26-2011 at 10:32 AM.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:07 AM
SE5spd

Originally Posted by solidfish
Anyone have plans for an event in June / July? Anyone doing the NCRC thunderhill events?
I'm thinking of doing the thunderhill day that's in late July.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:14 AM
SE5spd

Originally Posted by SE5spd
I'm thinking of doing the thunderhill day that's in late July.
I meant late June.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:08 PM
solidfish

hm... I was thinking about the one in early July
Old 05-26-2011, 02:07 PM
SE5spd

Originally Posted by solidfish
hm... I was thinking about the one in early July
Oh ok. If I don't make the one in June I'm more the. Likely hit the one in early aug.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:08 PM
derangedtoolman

nasa june 10/11 infineon raceway!
Old 05-29-2011, 09:05 AM
SE5spd

Was anyone at thill yesterday?
Old 06-01-2011, 06:41 PM
SE5spd

Anyone going 6/24 or 8/8?
I'm thinking of signing up for 6/24 since Driving school is still open. If not, 8/8 for sure!

Quick Reply: Norcal Track Days