Notices
Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

My 6 car pileup on HWY 24

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2004, 05:33 PM
Shift33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry My 6 car pileup on HWY 24

6 car pileup on HWY 24

I got in a 6 car pileup when it wasn't even my fault at all but just at the wrong place at the wrong time. Here are some pics of the other cars and then I'll go and explain what happened.

Carplacement #4: We'll call this guy MORON and this is his Integra GSR that slammed into my rear.

Carplacement #4&5: Suv that slammed into the Integra which pretty much totaled his car.

Carplacement #2: Hysterical Hispanic Girl(HHG) rear after my front bumper when into hers.

Carplacement #2: Hysterical Hispanic Girl(HHG) front after slamming into the Suv in front of her.

Carplacement #1: Least amount of damage in the very first spot after slamming on her brakes.

Carplacement #6: Honda Accord that slammed into the Suv in front of him.

Carplacement#3: Poor poor Audrey being slammed into by MORON Integra.

Carplacement#3: Audrey's front end after smashing into the HHG's rear end.

This will be long so if you're a visual person and don't care about the details . . . please move on.
This is how the night too place:

After Oregon gave us(CAL) the game 28-27 I went back to the fraternity house. A few of us alumni hung out for a bit and I had two beers on an completely empty stomach except for a cup of Starbucks all day. Around 7:00pm I left and got on HWY 24 with a stop and go traffic going towards the 580/80 interchange. About 1/2 from the interchange, the pileup occurred.

Car#1 Jeep Cherokee(late 30's white chick)
Car#2 Toyota Corolla (HHG)
Car#3 350Z Audrey (me)
Car#4 Integra GSR (Moron Asian guy)
Car#5 Saturn SUV (late 40's woman)
Car#6 Honda Accord (early 30's Asian guy)

#1 slams on their brakes and then so does #2 and I am pretty sure I didn't see them impact. I see her light and has already downshifted and braking which I stopped in time and did not hit #2. MORON in car #4 slams into me and I'm going "OH ****!" Then a split second or so later another impact which I am not sure if it was #5 or #6 that hit #4 for the second impact. I get out of Audrey and the first three words were "**** **** ****!"

Then I go . . . is he ok? The I ask HHG of Car #2 is she ok since she's crying like crazy. KEY POINT(remember this next line) She was ok but then worried because she only has liability coverage but I told her it's ok b/c I didn't hit you and you didn't hit the person in front, so don't worry. HHG said she felt two hits also which is good.

We all waited to CHP to get there, pulled our cars off the road and take statements and policy numbers. CHP asked what happened and I asked if I drank. Damn . . . I'm too honest and didn't want to lie incase they decided to give me a breathalyzer. Regardless I had 2 beers close to 2-3 hours so was perfectly fine to drive. Still I ended up doing a sobriety test with the finger and eyes following it. It was lame and I passed it with flying colors. As I was giving the statement to what happened, HHG said she only felt one impact. I was like WTF . . . she better not be trying to pin this on me because that's just ridiculous since I stopped in time. I've been a really good driver for the past 3 years that I'm not about to get a blamed for something I didn't do while it was MORON and car #5 or 6's fault.

Basically Audrey had to be towed to a warehouse in Oakland since she was not driveable. Her exhaust was sitting on the ground all bent and jacked up. How sad is that?

I'm with Progressive and I know there's quite a few bodyshops listed on the site, but is there one that is on Progressive's list? I also want to have them put on a wing for free since they'll be pretty much repainting the whole back, front, hood, quarter panels anyways. I think the damage is going to be around 7-10K since the whole exhaust and pipes were sitting on the ground, front bumper replaced, all rear lamps replaces(they cracked), etc. And if anyone knows where to get the Ings+1 wing like Big Al's or a replica of it, please let me know.

Ings +1 Wing

Thanks . . . that's my lovely weekend.
Old 11-07-2004, 05:54 PM
chazzg

Ings+1 wing replica for sale link
Old 11-07-2004, 07:11 PM
2004z
Sleeps in 350Z

Damn, sorry Henry, that sucks man. I hope everything works out for you.
Old 11-07-2004, 07:33 PM
Z-INCOGNITO

Sorry Hen... that sucks... let me know if theres anything i can help wit...
Old 11-07-2004, 07:34 PM
sundawg

daym dude that sucks, hope everything goes ok wit ur insurance and wut not...
Old 11-07-2004, 07:53 PM
corsair

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that blows. same thing happened to me in my old sentra. i stopped fine, didn't hit anyone because i was following at a safe distance and not speeding like the other idiots were.
Old 11-07-2004, 08:00 PM
jerrera350

yo i hope you are okay man, i actually passed by that pileup last night, my GF said, hey look at that poor Z in the middle. Sorry it had to be your Z. Good luck.
Old 11-07-2004, 08:13 PM
bz8

Sorry to hear about that Henry, good thing you're okay. I think your insurance will rule you out as being at fault since your front and rear end has damage and there's two more car infront of you, but I think you should look for a good auto accident lawyer to protect yourself from HHG statement to the police of feeling one impact. Goodluck, and hope everything turns out okay.
Old 11-08-2004, 08:14 AM
whatever
Veteran

sorry to hear that. glad no one was hurt
Like what Tony said, you might want to get extra protection...
last time I was in a pile up, I was in the middle of the pack but I still got 51% at fault because my front slamed into someone else's rear. Most of the time, if you hit someone, whether it's your fault or not, insurance will always try to pin it on you regardless.
Good luck!!
Old 11-08-2004, 08:22 AM
yobri
350Z-holic

Damn Henry... sorry bro

Glad to hear that you came out rather unscathed. And I know all about those non-knowing-how-to drive people in the EB... Licenses are passed out to anyone these days.

And do heed Tony's advice on the possible legal matter... (wow, did I say that??? ).
Old 11-08-2004, 09:46 AM
longbowe

Shiet, Henry. Glad you're okay, but really sucks for Audrey. And it's not even your fault, although like Dave said, insurance might not look at it that way. Let us know if there's anything we can do to help. Peace bro.
Old 11-08-2004, 09:56 AM
failsafe
....for your health

Glad to hear you're okay Henry. Good thing those beers were out of your system too. Could have been much worse.
Old 11-08-2004, 10:03 AM
Sybertron

Dang Henry, sorry to hear... glad to see you're ok...
Didn't I just see you earlier that day?
I hope Audrey get's well soon, and better than ever!
Also, hope your insurance gives you no hassles.
Old 11-08-2004, 10:35 AM
bz8

One more thing, get a contingency lawyer where you don't have to pay unless the case settles.
Old 11-08-2004, 08:11 PM
Shift33

Thanks everyone for the support & good wishes. I spoke to insurance today and it seems like my side of the story and person behind me are collaborating so I'm not at fault. I'm taking Audrey to Cooks Collision in Berkeley because I've seen some of their work and they work on high end cars so I think Audrey will be in good hands. I also got in touch with Josh at **********.com for the Ing+1 wing.

I'll know by tomorrow for the estimate and how long it'll take them to complete the job.
Old 11-08-2004, 08:24 PM
SYNE2NV

Originally posted by Shift33
Thanks everyone for the support & good wishes. I spoke to insurance today and it seems like my side of the story and person behind me are collaborating so I'm not at fault. I'm taking Audrey to Cooks Collision in Berkeley because I've seen some of their work and they work on high end cars so I think Audrey will be in good hands. I also got in touch with Josh at **********.com for the Ing+1 wing.

I'll know by tomorrow for the estimate and how long it'll take them to complete the job.
Damn HENRY...sorry about AUDREY man...DAMN DAMN DAMN...

Another INTEGRA "totalled"...I know having owned one before...but it looks like Audrey only got a bruise.

Didn't I just see you at Dent Day?

Make sure you get a kicka** rental car to drive while she's being fixed.

BoBs =)
Old 11-08-2004, 08:30 PM
Shift33

Ahahahah actually my insurance with Progressive doesn't include a rental so I won't be having fun messing with one.

From the pics, the damage doesn't look too bad, but the exhaust is sitting on the ground along with the pipe.

Hahahah I don't think any Dent Master, no matter how good can fix that damage.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:04 AM
bz8

Henry, how've you been? Hope everything's going well.
Old 11-22-2004, 10:03 AM
Shift33

Update on what's going on. I finally got some word back and Audrey is now in the shop. Good news is:

Here's the updated 12K estimate:

The Ings replica wing:

The crappy thing for the Integra behind me is that he's only covered $5K in property damage. The damage to my car, Corolla, and Jeep will all have to be covered by him. It seems like total damage can range up to 20K which mean the insurance company will go after him for the remainder 15K.

I believe by Dec 10 I should have her back and pretty much fully painted from head to toe except for the top. More updates to come when I have some. Thanks for the concern Tony.
Old 11-22-2004, 02:17 PM
corsair

Were you able to pick your own body shop of did you have to go with one on their "approved" list. Are you going with Cook's collission?

Quick Reply: My 6 car pileup on HWY 24