Notices
Photography Techniques, Cameras, Lenses, & Equipment

Nikon D70 or Canon 20D Digital SLR?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 12:04 PM
Sr. Panza

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Nikon D70 or Canon 20D Digital SLR?

I'm in the market for a digital slr camera and I was wondering whether anyone on the forum has either the Nikon D70 or the Canon 20D. If you do, what are the pros/cons to the camera and would you recommend buying it? I'm planning to use it as a personal camera and not for business in case that was a factor when you bought yours.

Although these are my top choices i'm also open to other makes and models...so even if you don't have either of these, which digital camera do you have and would you recommend it?

Thanks!

Sr. Panza

Old 01-07-2005, 12:42 PM
longbowe

The 20D is much more expensive compared to the D70. The D70 stacks up really well against the Digital Rebel. If you're going for personal use, you might want to consider comparing the D70 against the Digital Rebel instead.

But the primary consideration when buying SLRs is what kind of lenses do you intend to use in the future. Nikon makes good lenses, but Canon has a very, very competitive set as well. The 35mm-equivalent SLR professionals primarily argue between Nikon as a whole and Canon as a whole. Canon tends to cost more, but they design all their own stuff, so you know it all meshes. Canon also has a very good processor with DiGiC, and also uses a CMOS sensor (Nikon still uses CCDs). However, some people are of the opinion that Canon doesn't capture as much warmth in color, and then there's the nothing-but-Nikon crowd. Here are some useful links in terms of specs:

Canon EOS 20D

Nikon D70
Old 01-07-2005, 02:40 PM
Sr. Panza

Thanks for the reply longbowe. I guess you're right, the 20D just might be in another bracket. I am leaning towards the Nikon since I won't be using it professionally and once you add a lens, flash, extra memory, etc., the Canon moves up to about 2k. Do you have either of these yourself?
Old 01-07-2005, 03:20 PM
whatever
Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the 20d. like what longbowe said it's a matter of taste and what lens you would like to use.
Another good site to research on is photo.net
reason I went with the 20d was for the 8megapixel and because my buddy has the line of canon lens I can borrow
so far I been pretty happy with the camera. I primarly shoot motorsports and glamour portraits. haven't venture into landscape yet.
for motorsport, the buffer is pretty good. Though I do wish it's a little bit more. Focus is damn fast with the "L" lenses!!
for portrait, I need to find more model to shoot
Old 01-07-2005, 03:52 PM
longbowe

I don't have either of those because I have no moolah (I just bought a laptop for Xmas and will be spending a lot on some dental work, plus the propsect of going to law school ... *sigh*), but I am a fan of Canon. But the reviews I've read are very enthusiastic about the D70, which beats an old Canon favorite, the Digital Rebel. Like I said, it's in the lenses. If you buy a Digital Rebel now, you could use the lenses on the 20D (or 30D or 40D by the time you upgrade) later. Again, Canon has excellent technology. However, if you're ever going to go prosumer rather than DSLR, you'll have to watch out for Canon's performance in low light. It tends to be very flat, particularly around the corners. That having been said, the 20D is really excellent for action shots, having a very high FPS rate. And I've seen portrait shots done with the predecessor, the 10D, and even at 8X12, the print was beautiful!
Old 01-07-2005, 04:10 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally posted by longbowe
I don't have either of those because I have no moolah (I just bought a laptop for Xmas and will be spending a lot on some dental work, plus the propsect of going to law school ...
Have you checked out the new spinner teeth posted on the forum? Maybe you should consider those before doing any needed dental work?
Old 01-07-2005, 04:14 PM
monkey7

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm biased since I own a 10D but I also have a coolpix 4500 for fun. The Canon I use has been faithful and worthy with all the functions I need.

I felt the usm lens were bit faster and produced a better picture, but a tad soft at stock settings.

If you know anyone close to you who has one, play with it. Keep on playing with SLRs then you will know what you need in a camera. Or is a SLR what you need? Cause some of the digital point and shoot are great with out the bulk.
Old 01-07-2005, 04:40 PM
Sr. Panza

I took a trip to Europe in October and borrowed my brother's Sony 4.1 digital point and shoot and I really regretted not having something which gave me more control. I think I could have captured some really neat photos had I a better camera. So I don't want to get caught in a similar situation.

I was also looking at the 10D because they've really dropped in price since the 20D came out. I have to do some research but I think i'm still leaning towards the Nikon 10D.
Old 01-07-2005, 05:13 PM
zzzya

The Canon lenses are superior and more options which is a plus. Canon is also a leader in Digital SLRs. I am waiting for the technology in the upper model 1Ds to make it into a more financially appealing model. The 10D and 20D actually create a telephoto condition which is why they come with a 18mm lense and not a 28 or 35mm. The 20D is a fast digital camera, that is a big plus.
Old 01-07-2005, 10:56 PM
340HP

Go to a store and play with the both of them.

8 vs 6 MP doesn't mean ****. It's the size of the CCD sensor and the quality of the picture matter more, as does the quality of the lens.

I own the D70. It's absolutely amazing. The 20D imho is overpriced, especially for the sh!tty lens that comes with it. If you want the Canon, don't get the kit. Buy the body and shop around for a real lens.

Consider that the D70 kit, with the 18-70mm lens goes for less than $1100 street. Awesome value.

I love the 5 gig Seagate drive that I put in the D70. Highest quality JPEG setting 1.4 thousand photos. And, I already took 3600 of them, still using 3rd battery. Each battery lasts 1200-1500 shots easily, depending on flash usage.

The Nikon is very quick - it has a super smart buffer mode. You can take a photo, turn around and take 2-3-4 more without waiting a split of a second.

Remember to get a fast card, like an 80x. At least 60x. Gig, no less.

Check out DPREVIEW.com and STEVESDIGICAMS.com for comparisons.

Cheers.
Old 01-08-2005, 06:36 AM
zzzya

Originally posted by 340HP
It's the size of the CCD sensor and the quality of the picture matter more, as does the quality of the lens.
I couldn't agree more. That is why I am waiting as the 1DS has a full frame CMOS sensor, but some find the smaller size of the CMOS sensor in the 20D advantageous in some situations because of the telephoto effect you get (1.6x) from your current lenses. It is especially nice for wildlife photography where telephoto capabilities are necessary to capture certain animals. At this level of a camera body you really have the ability to take some pretty incredible photos given the proper lenses, ability and creativity. I will go the Canon route because of their lenses, the USM and IS technology plus the shear number of different types they offer. Canon's upper 1D models are incredible cameras and that technology will make its way down soon to more affordable models. The compatibility of the EOS lenses is also a huge plus for anyone with an EOS film camera going to a Canon EOS SLR digital or for someone with a friend who has a number of lenses and is willing to borrow them out. The speed of the 20D will make you think you are using a film camera and not a digital. The 20D is way out in front of the Nikon D70 in terms of technology and longevity. Goto www.bhphoto.com and you will find great prices and different package deals. They are a very reputable dealer.
Old 01-08-2005, 07:08 AM
alienx

Don't know anything about the canon's but I have the d70. Got it because Nikon was my film SLR brand (already had the lenses). It is impressive, but I guess you probably couldn't really be dissapointed by either one.

One point I would make is that you can get photography control in a camera that is not a DSLR. Cameras like Sony's F707 (an older one), and the like. Also, My point and shoot was a midrange camera and offered plenty of adjustability for anyone that wanted to shoot as a hobby, but wanted to be digital. Mine was a Sony S85.

The only real advantage my D70 has over the point and shoots and more advanced point and shoots is that it is sports capable. That is, it works like a film camera. There is zero shutter lag, and it is built with a pretty decent image buffer so that you can shoot multiple frames consecutively without having to wait for the camera to write the photo to the flash card.

I really don't think there is much difference in my d70's sensor versus my S85's. If somebody else took a picture with both, I couldn't tell them which came from what camera. So again, the DSLR's seem to offer more functionality, but that doesn't necessarily warrant the purchase.
Old 01-10-2005, 09:40 AM
Sr. Panza

Thanks for all of the input. I didn't make it to a store this weekend to check the camera's out but I'll keep you guys posted when I finally make a decision/purchase. Thanks again!
Old 01-11-2005, 12:24 PM
340HP

Originally posted by zzzya
I couldn't agree more. That is why I am waiting as the 1DS has a full frame CMOS sensor, but some find the smaller size of the CMOS sensor in the 20D advantageous in some situations because of the telephoto effect you get (1.6x) from your current lenses.
Same with D70. Most digital SLRs (except those with full-size censors) multiply the image 1.4 to 1.6. So, in essence, the 18-70mm is really 27-105mm.

I also have a 300mm sigma lens for the D70, which, at full extent gives me 450mm because of the 1.5x multiplier. NICE.

The 20D is sharper than the D70, on the other hand the D70 is smoother and warmer, especially with color-mapping.
Old 01-11-2005, 02:39 PM
Leh GSC

i had a Drebel and now i have the 20D, my Co-Worker has a D70 and me and him had a little competition. My Drebel and his D70 and the Rebel had better quality and better color.

The D20 stomps the crap outa the D70 (not trying to offend anyone) But its also way more expensive.
Old 01-11-2005, 08:24 PM
Beaker02

Does anyone make a bad digital SLR? I've never heard anyone complain about any of the models. Just curious. I shoot a digital Rebel myself. GREAT low cost DSLR.
Old 01-12-2005, 03:14 PM
FLZ

I have a Fuji S5000....Now the S7000 is priced at what I paid.......Half the price of the Nikon or Canon....I absolutely am crazy for the Fuji........Your choices are tops, but I'm not sure that the $ difference is justifiable.....Just an opinion.....GL2U....Dave
Old 01-13-2005, 05:30 AM
stu46

the canon dr with the hack is very nice, esp for the price/performance compared to the d70. i'm in the same boat myself.
Old 01-13-2005, 06:02 AM
VandyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

20D is the way to go. The Nikon D70 is usually classed between the DR and the 20D. The D70 was a little better than the 10D in review land, but the 20D was canon's answer, upping the bar a bit. When I was looking at the the 20D and D70 were not that far off in price. The D70 may be cheaper now as a result.

Both are fine cameras, I perfer Canon products myself.