Notices
Photography Techniques, Cameras, Lenses, & Equipment

Auto Strobist Thread.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 10:46 AM
AUtigers350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ctwentytwo
Incredible shot! No use of umbrellas or diffusers?
Old 08-31-2009, 10:50 AM
ahero4eternity
Vendor - Former Vendor

Nice & even lighting, Erwin! Nice to see you posting, again, brotha!

Old 08-31-2009, 07:05 PM
ctwentytwo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AUtigers350z
Incredible shot! No use of umbrellas or diffusers?
Yep, just 2 bare Sunpak 383 Supers on light stands... Skyports, the 40D w/ 55-250mm, at 250mm to suck the background in and give it more blur, using f/7.1 with a max sync of 1/250 to minimize hand shake for handheld shots. Again, I rarely use a tripod now, takes the fun and spontaneity out of it. Basic stuff.

I think it was GR? or AsianGuy that posted he didn't use any umbrellas or diffusers. I tried it, and you know what... I think it's better also. You don't lose any flash power, so your flash recycle times are better and the batteries last longer. Plus, it's more flash power when there's a ton of light out and you need all the flash power you can get. Another thing is that umbrellas tend to blow over easily. I use umbrellas for people now, that's what they're relegated to.

I was forced to use just 2 strobes because I forgot the sync cable for the 430ex, and you know what... they came out even better than my 3 strobe set ups. Less gear= less set up time= more shooting time= less hassle... When you're forced to do something different, it's when you learn most. That's what I found out.

Originally Posted by ahero4eternity
Nice & even lighting, Erwin! Nice to see you posting, again, brotha!
Thanks dude. The car came out great in that last post of yours. Better shadows/blacks than your previous posts... which AuTigers brought up. And not to bag on California skies, but it's too bad you have to color yours If you had the sunsets I get to play with, I'm sure you'd take advantage too. I like it though, gives it pop and "interestingness." Have you tried making the sky as a separate layer and just playing with color/hue/saturation tools on a "sky" layer to get the color? Should look better I think as you'll not get the color into the blacks.

BTW, went on Flickr, saw your message about the portrait.

If you look closely at her eyes, you can see the reflection of the hallway we used. I was on vacation, and used my niece and her friend to practice on. Man, that flight to D.C. was killer. Didn't have my umbrellas, so I had to make due again with just a 430E with a GaryFong Lightsphere for key lighting, and another Sunpak 383 Super directly behind her head for the rim lighting. Been thinking of getting that NIKON dude's book, Joe McNally's "Hot Shoe Diaries," where he's in all kinds of situations and just had to use what he had in that particular time.

The sad thing though is... I got that ring flash adapter, the ORBIS when it first came out. Was one of the first to get it. Rarely used it. Man, I just need a hot chick to sample it on. Got some inspiration from others using RayFlash/Orbis/Ring Flash.
Old 08-31-2009, 08:21 PM
AUtigers350z

Yep, just 2 bare Sunpak 383 Supers on light stands... Skyports, the 40D w/ 55-250mm, at 250mm to suck the background in and give it more blur, using f/7.1 with a max sync of 1/250 to minimize hand shake for handheld shots. Again, I rarely use a tripod now, takes the fun and spontaneity out of it. Basic stuff.

I think it was GR? or AsianGuy that posted he didn't use any umbrellas or diffusers. I tried it, and you know what... I think it's better also. You don't lose any flash power, so your flash recycle times are better and the batteries last longer. Plus, it's more flash power when there's a ton of light out and you need all the flash power you can get. Another thing is that umbrellas tend to blow over easily. I use umbrellas for ds now, that's what they're relegated to.

I was forced to use just 2 strobes because I forgot the sync cable for the 430ex, and you know what... they came out even better than my 3 strobe set ups. Less gear= less set up time= more shooting time= less hassle... When you're forced to do something different, it's when you learn most. That's what I found out.
Thanks for the info! You're exactly right about those last 2 sentences. Do the Sunpak 383s have adjustable power?
Old 08-31-2009, 08:39 PM
ahero4eternity
Vendor - Former Vendor

Thanks dude. The car came out great in that last post of yours. Better shadows/blacks than your previous posts... which AuTigers brought up. And not to bag on California skies, but it's too bad you have to color yours If you had the sunsets I get to play with, I'm sure you'd take advantage too. I like it though, gives it pop and "interestingness." Have you tried making the sky as a separate layer and just playing with color/hue/saturation tools on a "sky" layer to get the color? Should look better I think as you'll not get the color into the blacks.
Helps that I edited this last picture on my calibrated monitor, whereas those other pics were done on my dad's old Sony (uncalibrated) monitor.

Yah, CA skies are kinda...blah. LA especially, with all that smog. San Diego is better, though. But there wasn't a cloud in the sky when I took that shot, so it was kinda boring. Been doing lots of gradients for skies lately, lol.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:32 PM
ctwentytwo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AUtigers350z
Thanks for the info! You're exactly right about those last 2 sentences. Do the Sunpak 383s have adjustable power?
Yes, but unfortunately, they have been discontinued. Luckily, I got them right before they got the axe. The power is variable from Full, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, and 1/16.

Super easy to use. The main reason I like them so much is that it's cheap and reliable. I can use them on Full power, and take consecutive shots, without feeling uneasy about stressing or breaking them. But since they've been discontinued, and many are looking for them, I think I may need to start being a little less trigger happy.
Old 09-02-2009, 02:12 AM
stu46

Old 09-02-2009, 05:36 AM
ahero4eternity
Vendor - Former Vendor

Nice even lighting! Love the lack of reflections. Wish the front plate wasn't there.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:35 AM
stu46

Thanks. Took me about 30 min to set the first light so there's no reflections. It was quick after that. I also tried to clone out the lic plate, but I'm horrible at it. :lol:
Old 09-05-2009, 01:30 AM
stu46

Click for lighting info.

Old 09-05-2009, 02:58 AM
stu46

Shot a GTI right after. Black is a PITA to shoot.